[OB] Oathbringer chapters 22-24

Mestiv

Thanks for the responses!  Dalinar's memories of Evi being connected to his time as the Blackthorn does make sense.  Also, I'm wondering how/why the voidspren is so intelligent?  All the radiantspren we've seen get their brains scrambled when they cross over from cognitive->physical, and it's the bond with their human that allows them to regain sentience.  As far as I can tell, the yellow voidspren doesn't have a bond with anything, so it must work differently for them.  Or it's just too early too tell.

Finally a Dustbringer! I half wonder if this is Ash using a different name.. Would lead to interesting interactions between her and Shallan.

Why are the Kaladin chapter always so short??? I need to know more about the alleged Voidspren! Especially because she seems to have lost no intelligence moving into the Physical realm. Similar to how Wyndle kept his identity when Cultivation intervened and move him into the Physical herself.

Okay, thoughts (a lot of them):

*Mraize is as awesome as ever. It doesn't surprise me that he has a bird for hunting either. And also, he dropped a bombshell about the Ghostbloods goal: they will use the power of the Voidbringers to gain power, it seems. Huh.

*Mraize more or less confirmed that Mr. Copycat isn't human.

*Ialai and Sadeas aren't Ghostbloods, which means that Mraize is most likely trying to use them for something. He might be spying on them because of their friendship with Amaram too.

*Amaram is back! Yay! I know everyone hates him, but I like the guy.

*Adolin owned Ialai. Great moment. 

*I find it interesting that the Voidspren looked Shin. Are the Shin affiliated with Odium in some way? I can see that. 

*I wonder who the Voidsprens commander is. An Unmade? I think so. It looks like they will be focused on in this book, since they are mentioned on the cover and everything. Also, the nine shadows deal.

*Taravangian seems to be acting stupider than he is, today. I also like how he tries to turn Dalinar into a conqueror, and not a diplomat. He really wants the Blackthorn as an ally.

*Malata is a Dustbringer! Yay for the Dustbringers! I am very intrigued by this lady. Wonder what her goal is?

*That message more or less confirmed Ishar = Tezim.

And finally, this:

The Shin sent only a quick reply to congratulate us, whatever that means.”

You just gotta love the Shin.

I think it's ominous that a Dustbringer is with Mr. T. I can't tell if Mr. T is faking, or this is one of his stupider days. Looks like he is pushing Dalinar to take the path of the warlord.

Kaladin talked to the voidspren - things are getting interesting. He's basically a spy now.

I wonder if the Ghostbloods know that Kaladin killed Helaren, or if it's about the Skybreakers.

1 minute ago, Catladyman said:

Finally a Dustbringer! I half wonder if this is Ash using a different name.. Would lead to interesting interactions between her and Shallan.

Why are the Kaladin chapter always so short??? I need to know more about the alleged Voidspren! Especially because she seems to have lost no intelligence moving into the Physical realm. Similar to how Wyndle kept his identity when Cultivation intervened and move him into the Physical herself.

We're rather certain Ash is Baxxil's (or Baxil) mistress from the interlude and she has dark skin which wasn't mentioned in the description of our newest Radiant.

I don't think Cultivation moved Wyndle into the Physical Realm, I think the transition was easier due to Lift's unique condition.

For the Shin-Stone connection with the Voidspren, I couldn't think of a good mechanism for the other humans (who do see spren) to associate Shinovar with stone. In fact, that would be the last place they'd connect with stone, since there's actual dirt there. The Shin revere stone because there's so little. I guess it's possible that there are spren in Shinovar, but they just don't manifest at all in the Physical Realm. But I think it's more straightforward for the eyes to be Yolish, not Shin. (I'll admit, it sounds absurd when I put it like that.)

I will go on record against the Ishar = Tezim theory. Ishar has said the Oathpact is broken. Why would he claim to be its bearer? The Heralds are in hiding, so I think this person isn't a Herald at all. But if it were, who would be the Herald of Heralds? Who is the King of Heralds? It's not Ishar - it's Jezrien. I can kinda see a case for Jezrien being Tezim. But not Ishar.

Just really noticing how appropriate the Chapter title is for Dalinar.  Men of Blood and Sorrow.

What a pair of monsters we have there.  The Blackthorn and the Kind Doctor.  Which is the worse monster?  The one who did not care, then learned responsibility and works to atone, or at least be better?  Or the one who knows exactly the price of their actions, and does it anyway in secret to make people love him with lies?

Dalinar is bringing a viper to his inner circle, thinking it a golden retriever.  Not terribly bright, but with sad knowing eyes.

Also neat to know that they know something happened, but figured he had a stroke, or something, not sought out a boon.  Shows how taboo the Nightwatcher is that they don't even suspect, they just feel sorry for the poor, feeble figurehead.  That reveal will be huge.

“It’s strange,” Adolin snapped. “My mother always said she thought you were clever. She admired you, and wished she had your wit. Yet here, I see no proof of that. Honestly, do you really think that my father would withstand Sadeas’s insults for years—weather his betrayal on the Plains, suffer that dueling fiasco—only to assassinate him now? Once Sadeas was proven wrong about the Voidbringers, and my father’s position is secure? We both know my father wasn’t behind your husband’s death. To claim otherwise is simple idiocy.

Wow. Nice job Adolin. He is doing stunningly well. Deny Dalinar did it, everyone will evnetually belive it. And if anyone blames anyone in Kholin Adolin will be the last person if Dalinar is discarded.

Ialai then looked to Shallan. “And you. Make yourself useful. There are teas warming in the side room.”

Ialai just lost some IQ points in my book. Treating the person that brought her entire army to Urithiru like a maid seems smart...not.

“So she’s not one of you?” Shallan asked. “She’s not a… Ghostblood?”

“No,” he said, eyes narrowing. “She and her husband were too wild a variable for us to invite. Their motives are their own; I don’t think they align to those of anyone else, human or listener.

Aha! As I predicted, Sadeas and Ialai were just too random, too focused on themselves. 

“Your task,” Mraize said, “is to secure this location. Urithiru must remain strong if we are to properly use the advent of the Voidbringers.”

And that tells us...nothing of the GB motives. But interesting he adds a task that he knows she is doing already. And that he also adds to her claims that there is a darkness on Urithiru.

“I suppose,” Adolin said, standing. “Who is leading your investigation? I’ll send him reports.”

“His name is Meridas Amaram. I believe you know him.”

Should have seen that coming. Well, we all expected Amaram to appear soon, only question was how. Mraize, Amaram, Adolin and Shallan in close proximity, what could possibly go wrong.

Just now, Pagerunner said:

For the Shin-Stone connection with the Voidspren, I couldn't think of a good mechanism for the other humans (who do see spren) to associate Shinovar with stone. In fact, that would be the last place they'd connect with stone, since there's actual dirt there. The Shin revere stone because there's so little. I guess it's possible that there are spren in Shinovar, but they just don't manifest at all in the Physical Realm. But I think it's more straightforward for the eyes to be Yolish, not Shin. (I'll admit, it sounds absurd when I put it like that.)

I will go on record against the Ishar = Tezim theory. Ishar has said the Oathpact is broken. Why would he claim to be its bearer? The Heralds are in hiding, so I think this person isn't a Herald at all. But if it were, who would be the Herald of Heralds? Who is the King of Heralds? It's not Ishar - it's Jezrien. I can kinda see a case for Jezrien being Tezim. But not Ishar.

The other humans wouldn't need to associate Shinovar with stone if the Shin are the vast majority of people who see this kind of spren. On the other hand, higher spren seem to have some degree of control over their appearance, so it may not mean anything.

The epigraphs are still not helpful, and the Kaladin chapters are still too short. Damnation.

Hmm, it appears that Ialai is, in fact, grieving. That changes things. And Mraize knows about Helaran-is he trying to drive a wedge between our protagonists?

And, of course, the Ghostbloods want to use the Desolation for their purposes, because of course they do.

To go into more wild speculation territory:

The voidspren is yellow/gold, which follows the golden light Dalinar sees in his vision at the end of WoR and in the Odium Champions vision.

If we assume glowing red eyes is more of a Cosmere wide 'corrupted' (for lack of a better term) Investiture phenomenon, Odium could very well be related to yellow/gold.

I also think there's some connection between the Shin and Odium.  Between the voidspren looking like a Shin, and the Shin's reverence for stone (and to a degree the Listeners,) there's something going on there.  (Aren't Thunderclasts or some evil thing of Odium made of stone?)

I remember many moons ago reading a theory which postulated that stone was invested by Odium, or the only thing safe from Odium (polar opposites I know, but it's early and I can't remember,) and I think there's something to that.

(And there have been WAY too many strata references for it not too mean something very significant.)

Unfortunately im seeing more and more evidence that Dalinar asked to forget his wife.

The fact that Navani is the one to confirm that the boon and curse lasts till death is even more cruel.

Im going to call it now, before the end of the book, Dalinar is going to forget who gave him that snazzy clock on his wrist,

and its going to break my heart

Just now, Pagerunner said:

Kokerlii ('coppercloud' bird) is described as "colorful."

Sak (future bird) is "black-plumed."

I don't think that "pure green" matches either of those descriptions. So if it's an aviar, it has an ability we don't know.

So Mraize Stormbeard is still a possibility? (I know he doesn't have a beard. But doesn't matter)