[OB] Preface Author Theory (only spoilers are for the opening quote of each chapter released so far)

specialNEDstark

9 minutes ago, specialNEDstark said:

For awhile i kept seeing Renarin everywhere but I'm sure you're right if you're seeing other names brought up more often. Hard to keep up to date sometimes. I also hadn't read the newest chapters yet, and after reading them I'm more confused than ever. The first two quotes from the most recent update made me think Navani the likely author, but then the third quote doesn't seem like Navani at all.  For now I give up. No one person makes any sense to me. Maybe it is the Sunmaker. Only character that we can't rule out due to the wording of the quotes, but only because we don't know him well enough to say it sounds like him or not. We'll know by the 15th at least. I'm seriously considering taking the day off work and try to read it in a day. If only I was still in college with a roommate selling Adderall lol

I think the new epigraphs imply the author is neither scholar, nor artist. It's true Navani isn't a philosopher, but she's an engineer and I'd hazard the author wanted to convey the idea s/he can't express themself in a scientific or creative manner - there was no point in listing all sorts of artists and scholars, just saying no philosopher or poet was enough to convey the idea at a large scale in my opinion. Yet s/he knows the term Shadesmar, which isn't common knowledge. I didn't expect we'd read more than 20 chapters and still have no confirmation who the author was. No matter who it ends up being, most epigraphs until know would remain relatively useless. Feels like a waste somehow...

11 hours ago, Aleksiel said:

I think the new epigraphs imply the author is neither scholar, nor artist. It's true Navani isn't a philosopher, but she's an engineer and I'd hazard the author wanted to convey the idea s/he can't express themself in a scientific or creative manner - there was no point in listing all sorts of artists and scholars, just saying no philosopher or poet was enough to convey the idea at a large scale in my opinion. Yet s/he knows the term Shadesmar, which isn't common knowledge. I didn't expect we'd read more than 20 chapters and still have no confirmation who the author was. No matter who it ends up being, most epigraphs until know would remain relatively useless. Feels like a waste somehow...

You bring up an interesting point. I didn't see it at first but you're right, why is the answer to this one question generating so much attention with all the other insights we've gleaned from OB so far. The identity isn't important at all. The one thing we can be certain of is the Prologue was written at the end of the story, or close to it. The author speaks in a way a historian studying past events might. Time, for me at least, to put this question on the shelf for now and pay more attention to the dozens of other new mysteries. 

3 minutes ago, specialNEDstark said:

You bring up an interesting point. I didn't see it at first but you're right, why is the answer to this one question generating so much attention with all the other insights we've gleaned from OB so far. The identity isn't important at all. The one thing we can be certain of is the Prologue was written at the end of the story, or close to it. The author speaks in a way a historian studying past events might. Time, for me at least, to put this question on the shelf for now and pay more attention to the dozens of other new mysteries. 

While I agree that there's enough other stuff to talk about, I do think that there's no reason to stop thinking about this subject. I mean, we're here to figure things out before they're revealed, right? Does it then matter if they're important for the story, or only if we managed to get the answer earlier than Brandon intended? I would argue the second.

On 10/20/2017 at 2:29 AM, Leyrann said:

While I agree that there's enough other stuff to talk about, I do think that there's no reason to stop thinking about this subject. I mean, we're here to figure things out before they're revealed, right? Does it then matter if they're important for the story, or only if we managed to get the answer earlier than Brandon intended? I would argue the second.

Lol of course you're right! I'll never truly stop theorizing, debating, ect ect, I live for this stuff lol Plus I'm an old school Song of Ice and Fire fan, and if you're not into incessantly theorizing over the tiniest amounts of minutia, you should stick to Stephen King.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2017 at 2:29 AM, Leyrann said:

While I agree that there's enough other stuff to talk about, I do think that there's no reason to stop thinking about this subject. I mean, we're here to figure things out before they're revealed, right? Does it then matter if they're important for the story, or only if we managed to get the answer earlier than Brandon intended? I would argue the second

Gotta say after the last sample chapters, which we all agree were fantastic, that many of the ideas I threw out as speculation kinda look to be true. Namely that evil spren could forcibly bond someone, and that someone didn't necessarily have to be evil for the spren to try forcing the bond on them.  Also supports my theory that the number of evil spren is considerably less than their "good" cousins, but are considerably stronger than they are. We don't have total proof of the latter idea, though it seems much more likely to be true, but the former theory is all but verified. The only remaining question is if Shallan's ability to resist the attempted bond means everyone is capable of the same feat? If not, do all Radiants have the ability to fight it off, or is it something specific to Shallan? My guess would be that all Radiants can resist mainly due to the fact they're already bonded, but obviously we can't know for sure. It'll be interesting to find out how others take to the attempted bonding. I've got a very bad feeling that Adolin will end up bonded to an evil spren. Not because he wants to be evil, rather because everyone around him is a Radiant and he'll feel like something is wrong with him for not being one of them. Maybe jealously overwhelms him, but my guess would be either he's tricked by the spren, or believes he can control it the spren, using it to gain abilities without allowing the evil to take over. He'll rationalize it, convince himself he has no other choice, and he'll be wrong. You do have to feel for him. With just about every person close to him, save Navani, being a Radiant, I'm shocked no signs of jealously have surfaced yet, but I'd bet before the end of this book we'll at least see some chinks in his armor begin to surface. Might even see a complete meltdown from Adolin as Shardbearers are overshadowed by Radiants, no longer the top guns in Roshar. I know lots of people believe Adolin will become Radiant eventually, but him going down the wrong path attempting to be equal to those close to him seems way more likely to happen. Murdering Sadeas may even make Adolin a desirable match from the viewpoint of evil spren. Maybe the murder makes it impossible for Adolin to resist since he's already embraced the "dark side" if you will. Any thoughts? Man I can't wait to read the rest. The sample chapters have been great, but the most recent ones cranked the dial up to 11!

10 hours ago, specialNEDstark said:

I've got a very bad feeling that Adolin will end up bonded to an evil spren. Not because he wants to be evil, rather because everyone around him is a Radiant and he'll feel like something is wrong with him for not being one of them. Maybe jealously overwhelms him, but my guess would be either he's tricked by the spren, or believes he can control it the spren, using it to gain abilities without allowing the evil to take over. He'll rationalize it, convince himself he has no other choice, and he'll be wrong. You do have to feel for him. With just about every person close to him, save Navani, being a Radiant, I'm shocked no signs of jealously have surfaced yet, but I'd bet before the end of this book we'll at least see some chinks in his armor begin to surface. Might even see a complete meltdown from Adolin as Shardbearers are overshadowed by Radiants, no longer the top guns in Roshar. I know lots of people believe Adolin will become Radiant eventually, but him going down the wrong path attempting to be equal to those close to him seems way more likely to happen. Murdering Sadeas may even make Adolin a desirable match from the viewpoint of evil spren. Maybe the murder makes it impossible for Adolin to resist since he's already embraced the "dark side" if you will. Any thoughts? Man I can't wait to read the rest. The sample chapters have been great, but the most recent ones cranked the dial up to 11!

If Adolin is jealous of the Radiants, then were are the signs he is? He has had interactions with Renarin and nothing his inner discourse allowed us to conclude those feelings even existed. He seems more in awe of Radiants then envious, hence the idea Adolin may felt "left out" really does not currently hold the road, just as the idea Shardbearers will soon be overshadowed by the Radiants. This day has not come yet and may be long time in coming. Adolin has more responsibilities than ever and the story is really not depicting him as someone who's "has been left out of things".

I also think the idea Adolin wants to be the "top gun on Roshar" and would be devastated if he weren't is not real. Adolin doesn't care about this. He genuinely tells Renarin he and the Radiants will save them all: he absolutely does not believe it is his task nor does he feel it ought to be. There hasn't been any tangible real signs of Adolin being on the verge of a meltdown: he's holding up pretty strong, so unless people team up to purposefully break him, it is unlikely to happen. The only aspect of his character which may amount to a meltdown of sorts is him not feeling he is up to meet the expectations his father has on him, but it would require some serious drama for Adolin to shake even a little. This guy is just not breaking down: he will weather all which is thrown to him.

Besides, if murdering someone was all it took for the "evil sprens" to start manifest interest into you, then they have ample more suitable candidates to latch on than Adolin whom killed just one man after intense provocation. There also are other characters whom are envious, jealous and willing to take any available path to get powers. I feel OB so far has definitely showed us an Adolin whom: 1) will NOT break down unless very drastic events happen, 2) will weather the storm, any storm, 3) is absolutely not jealous nor envious of Radiants, 4) absolutely does not care in knowing his Blade once was a living spren.

Therefore no, there is no signs Adolin is falling for the evil side. He isn't. He is even more than ever the faithful loyal side-kick and will likely remain so.

• Argent changed the title to [OB] Preface Author Theory (only spoilers are for the opening quote of each chapter released so far)
  • 2 weeks later...

Huge blunder on my part. I've been in a discussion in another thread debating the possibility of a group that's the polar opposite of Radiants. I've taken to calling the hypothetical group anti-radiants. The last post I made was meant for that discussion, and somehow my wires got crossed and I posted it here by mistake. 

I agree, Adolin has shown no signs of jealousy. I felt after the final sample chapter that these anti-radiants don't exist, but the Unmades attempt to forcibly bond Shallan opened up an element we had discussed at length, which is would an evil spren only bond an evil person, or a good person turned evil by the bond. We still don't have an answer but we know for sure that an evil spren of the highest power may attempt to bond someone we know is good, and that it's possible for that person to resist unwanted bonding. This brings up so many new questions about what type of people will the evil spren attempt to bond; just Radiants or anyone close by? Then we ask was Shallan able to resist because she's a Radiant, because she's a light weaver, because anyone can, or is it something innate within Shallan herself? Could it even be that Shallan isn't as good as we, or even herself, thinks? Finally it begs the question of how many evil spren are capable of this? Just the Unmade, or all evil spren? 

Circling back around to the issue of Adolin. I only meant that with everyone around him being Radiant, could it be Brandon left him unbonded to later have him bonded by an evil Spren. With all the questions left unanswered Adolin might not have to be evil in the slightest for that to happen, or maybe in the future resentment builds up inside him from watching everyone around him, everyone close to him, becoming more important while he becomes bitter, angry, and hurt because he doesn't understand what's wrong with him that keeps him from being one of them. This is pure speculation of course. I love Adolin, but just because he harbors none of those emotions now does not mean he couldn't one day. It would be understandable, and better men have succumb to emotions for worse reasons than that. The return of Janah, yet another person close to him that's now A Radiant, could nudge him in the wrong direction. The possibility also remains he never feels that way, but not being a Radiant, he can't fight off the bonding of an evil spren, and he falls to darkness through no fault of his own. 

Food for thought is all. Sorry again for posting in the wrong thread. Hope you can see now that I was musing in relation to an entirely different discussion. No matter what, I do not believe Adolin will become a Radiant, and him being the only person in his world that isn't one has to have some significance to the story, and must affect him dramatically at some point in our story.

• Chaos locked this topic