The NaNoWriMo 2017 motivational thread!!

Robinski

10 hours ago, Silk said:

Agreed!

I hope to be writing an album while you all are novelling...

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease tell me it's a big band concept album. Some of my favourite albums are concept albums*

• Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
  • Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
  • Rush - Clockwork Angels (now complete with tie-in novel by Neil Peart and Kevin J. Anderson)
  • Funeral for a Friend - Tales Don't Tell Themselves
  • Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
  • Pallas - The Sentinel

(*What do you mean, you didn't ask?)

Edited by Robinski

22 minutes ago, Shadowmancer said:

The pre-NaNo panic hit me pretty hard today. I feel completely unqualified to be tackling this writing project. I've never done a mystery before, and I know so little...

It's not about anyone else but you. You can do it. It's not even about writing, really, it's about belief and commitment, or you could be like me, and just be so dmn stubborn and competitive that you REFUSE to allow any stupid writing contest to beat you. Come partner up with me, if you like. I am r0binski.

2 hours ago, Shadowmancer said:

The pre-NaNo panic hit me pretty hard today. I feel completely unqualified to be tackling this writing project. I've never done a mystery before, and I know so little...

The beautiful thing about writing is that the best way become more qualified to write a thing is to just write the thing and see what you learn. You got this!

1 hour ago, Robinski said:

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease tell me it's a big band concept album. Some of my favourite albums are concept albums*

• Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
  • Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
  • Rush - Clockwork Angels (now complete with tie-in novel by Neil Peart and Kevin J. Anderson)
  • Funeral for a Friend - Tales Don't Tell Themselves
  • Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
  • Pallas - The Sentinel

(*What do you mean, you didn't ask?)

Not a concept album, at least not yet; right now it’s just going to be kind of whatever comes out but we’ll see how it all cleaves together. (I do have a multi-media concept album on the back burner, but that one needs some serious re-thinking and I’m anxious to just crank some new stuff out for performance purposes so taking the easy route for now.) I write most of my stuff acoustically because I typically perform my own stuff solo, but I’d love to have one/some of my pieces arranged for/played by a big band. I’m sure I could talk my big band into it ;)

Also, any time a music nerd talks about music, the “what’s your favourite _____” question is pretty much implied. Thanks for the recs!

Edited by Silk

8 hours ago, Silk said:

any time a music nerd talks about music, the “what’s your favourite _____” question is pretty much implied

:lol:

if I had to pick one, Porcupine Tree, because you get an Alex Lifeson solo in there too, but it's just so expansive, musically and conceptually, I think. Not what I'd call jolly, but bang on tone all the way through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8tgLNgXCLA

And, the FFaF, very rousing. For anyone who has ever been on a (long) journey and come back again. Very evocative of life on the road, I expect, the album is about a sailor's journey, but the first song just nails the whole thing. Goosebumps. 

Edited by Robinski

On 10/26/2017 at 3:03 AM, Robinski said:

And in order to justify my totally off-topic last post...

What music will you be using to support and motivate you in your Nano quest?

Normally I listen to foreign language music so I'm not distracted by lyrics I understand. Lately I'm particularly fond of Russian/Ukrainian folk music: 

On 10/26/2017 at 1:03 AM, Robinski said:

And in order to justify my totally off-topic last post...

What music will you be using to support and motivate you in your Nano quest?

I love love LOVE Hans Zimmer, anything I can get my hands on. On a strange note, one very important aspect of my story came to me by listening to a Starset song, Let It Die.

So, it looks like I won't be able to do NaNo after all this year. :( Not only is there the traveling issue, but I've had several health issues crop up. Including my chicken pecking me in the eye. It seems like all will be well--it's been 48 hours and my sight is almost back to normal--but it did put everything in (blurry) perspective. I'm not going to push myself this time around. But I'll be cheering you all on from the sidelines!

Awesome, thanks for sharing! I can see the Russian folk music working well for particular types of scenes. I liked the second one, more than the first for writing purposes.

Such an expressive dog, wow!

And yes, Hans Zimmer = awesome, although perhaps not the best for writing a light comedy or romance? Have you seen Bladerunner: 2049? I thought Zimmer's score was superb, evoking the original, but also fresh and surprising.

T minus one day. Time to get all those gears ready to roll!

For music, I love some Lindsey Stirling, EDM genre tracks, some Eminem songs when I really want something to feel fast paced, Grace VanderWaal when I want to feel joy, and classic or romantic songs when I'm moving steadily.

IT BEGINS! Good luck everyone starting the crazy NaNo journey! I haven't come across as many beginning-NaNo motivational posts as I have in the past, but I'm sure they will be out there eventually. For now, here're a couple from Chuck Wendig's blog:

Last year's about letting yourself be wrong

And this guest post by Fonda Lee about the inverse of NaNo -- taking your time and being deliberate

(Standard Wendig warning: he's very nsfw language-wise. Fantastically, creatively, but still nsfw)

Okay, I lied. One more twitter thread by Max Gladstone about growing your unique mustache-novel

On 02/11/2017 at 5:54 AM, Majestic Fox said:

I'm tucked away in a cottage in the Welsh mountains

Awesome! I'm just going onto the Nano site. Anyone else for chumming up for moral support? I am r0binski on Nanowrimo. (That's a 'zero'.)

Edited by Robinski

Okay, all you Nanos, and I'm looking at you were @Majestic Fox, cause we're buddied, this is a big day, chance to get caught up, chance to build a lead. It's the weekend, and you've set today aside for writing, right? So, write!

Personally, I've made a slow start because I'm editing the 23K words I already had of this novel, but I've only got 7 pages to go before I'm onto the new stuff. Chocks away!!!

Good luck everyone. C'mon, c'mon, get writing - it's fun, remember?!