Shadow of Adonalsium?

Yezrien

Question

There's plenty of evidence that Adonalsium was a person, who is now dead. If that's true, he was probably the most invested person ever to have existed. And if that's the case, shouldn't he have left an extremely long-lasting cognitive shadow? Shouldn't the ghost of Adonalsium be haunting the cognitive realm to this very day? (presumably trapped on Yolen, the way Leras was on Scadrial.)

This seems like an obvious question, but I can't find any WoB on this topic. So I'm posing the question to all of you on the Shard who have been in the fandom longer than I have. Has anyone ever asked Brandon this?

Does Adonalsium have a cognitive shadow? 

I know this would probably get RAFOed, but I'd like to know if the question has been asked.

9 answers to this question

As Calderis said Adonalsium maybe had or not a Vessel.

IF there was a Vessel, this Vessel Upon Death could choose to reach the Beyond.

IF this Vessel choose to remain as Cognitive Shadow, the Shards could have destroyed him.

IF the Vessel's CS was not hurted/destroyed. We don't know if he would be limited/trapped in Yolen as we don't know how Adonalsium worked at that time. A Cognitive Shadow is tied to places from the Investiture that compose him...as far as we know an Adonalsium's CS could be able to go everywhere there is a great amount of Investiture.

PS: It's tangential but I saw you pointed on Leras. Leras/Fuzz was not a CS, he was a alive for the main part of Mistborn. He dies only in HoA and he didn't leave a CS

Argent

You've said that Investiture tends to develop sapience on its own. Is this a function of the amount of Investiture alone (i.e. any pile of Investiture large enough will develop sapience eventually), or does the process require extra effort (e.g. a Command from an Awakener, an action by a Shard, etc.)?

Brandon Sanderson

Under the right circumstances, a pile of investiture will eventually become self-aware. But there is no specific timing. The more investiture clumped together, the more likely--and the closer to human-level intelligence it is likely to obtain.

Of course, if you leave matter alone long enough (on a galactic scale) it will eventually end up becoming sapient too. So this isn't that different. (Well, okay, it is.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/51u8qu/oathbringer_spoilers_stormlight_three_update_4/d8e8hod/?context=3

Adonalsium may have had a Vessel, but it's not necessarily true by anything that we know. If it did, it would undoubtedly have left a shadow of the vessel, but that shadow could have been destroyed, or chosen to go beyond. 

I personally think that the investiture itself developed sapience without a Vessel and that mind, as a part of the investiture itself was ripped apart in the Shattering and is the source of the intents. 

Just now, Arithered said:

@Belzedar I must have missed some previous discussion (I'm new here), but what evidence is there that Adonalsium was a person?

To clarify, I did not mean evidence that it was human. Only that it is often described as a conscious being with agency. The Shardic intents probably formed its personality, and the shattering has been referred to as "killing" Adonalsium.

On 10/15/2017 at 2:04 AM, Yata said:

If the Vessel's CS was not hurted/destroyed. We don't know if he would be limited/trapped in Yolen as we don't know how Adonalsium worked at that time. A Cognitive Shadow is tied to places from the Investiture that compose him...as far as we know an Adonalsium's CS could be able to go everywhere there is a great amount of Investiture.

If there was a place where the CS would be, wouldn't it be likely to be Roshar? Since we know the highstorms are a huge amount of investiture and they are of him? I can't think of anywhere else that still has Adonalsium investiture 

6 hours ago, Kinnsayyy said:

If there was a place where the CS would be, wouldn't it be likely to be Roshar? Since we know the highstorms are a huge amount of investiture and they are of him? I can't think of anywhere else that still has Adonalsium investiture 

In theory every major Shardworld is filled with a lot of Investiture. The Shards' Investiture is his own Investiture and also some minor Shardworld have a good amount of It.

Sure there is a problem in lefting Yolen as the space around has not a lot of Investiture