Knghtstlker

Question

Okay, one more time, Arcanum Unbound. I have read "Listened to on Audible", The first two Mistborn books, working on the 3rd right now of the first trilogy. From what I've gathered so far, there are spoilers both directions, and the spoilers for the Mistborn aren't as bad as they would be if I read era 2 THEN reading Arcanum Unbound. I have read both Stormlight Archive books, and they are my preferred novel, I have also read Warbreaker. My buddy introduced me to Sanderson before we came to Iraq, They have been an awesome distraction from the suck, and I love listening to them as I drift off to sleep, I've found that in a often darkly lit room listening is far superior to reading, Especially when I'm just a few nods from a full snooze, These make the Novels come to life in my head. I have not read Elantris yet, though I will have in when I get my Audible Credit in a day or two, after I finish Mistborn Hero of Ages. I have already pre ordered Oathbringer, and will have one more credit in November.

In November, Is there any book I need to read, either before I read Arcanum Unbound? Or, to help bring more context to Arcanum unbound? Having assumed I've read all Stormlight Novels, The first Mistborn Trilogy, Elantris, Warbreaker. What beyond those books are in the Cosmere that will be required reading for putting the whole Cosmere together?

15 answers to this question

39 minutes ago, Captains Domon said:

Besides the second era Mistborn books, I would say you're good. (I would read the second era before you read Arcanum Unbounded)

Agreed. The second era should definitely be read before AU, or at least before Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Eltania and Secret History.

31 minutes ago, Secrets said:

Agreed. The second era should definitely be read before AU, or at least before Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Eltania and Secret History.

I disagree with "definitely", but Secret History does feel better with The Bands of Mourning under your belt.

So biggest gripe, I understand, that that particular story will be lost on me, but I doubt I'll have the ability to get all three books of era two, here, and read through before Oathbringer drops into my online library, and I'm more worried about getting Edgedancer out of the way, before I continue on in the series, if I have to, I will spoil it. Just trying to see how much of a spoiler it will be, I don't think I could restrain myself to just NOT reading the portions of Arcanum unbound. Thanks for the replies. Everyone, but I think I'm going to have to just backtrack on this one after the fact with Era 2 after Arcanum unbound, Elantris is queued up in my library waiting for me to finish the last third of HoA.

Stormlight Archives: Read twice, Oathbringer pre ordered.

Mistborn Era 1: Done soon.

Elantris: Queue'd

Warbreaker: Read twice.  

Arcanum Unbound: Not purchased

Please, help me out getting the rest of the books lined up in this list so I can get caught up with all the Stories with Shards of Adolnasium.

What about Rithmatist, and steelheart? stuff like that.

I know about White sand, but can't get it until I get back to the states. Graphic Novels don't do well in Deserts.

On 10/13/2017 at 8:06 AM, Knghtstlker said:

Having assumed I've read all Stormlight Novels, The first Mistborn Trilogy, Elantris, Warbreaker. What beyond those books are in the Cosmere that will be required reading for putting the whole Cosmere together?

If you've read all of these (except Elantris), it seems like you could finish Mistborn 1 and maybe set Scadrial (Mistborn stuff) aside until after Oathbringer. Make Edgedancer a priority before Oathbringer. I don't really know how Audible works, but there's a standalone version of Edgedancer coming out on Oct 17 if you aren't ready for Arcanum.

Then, depending on how long it takes to get through these (and assuming you want to start Oathbringer right away), you might be able to listen to the rest of Arcanum and, for now, skip the stuff on Scadrial and skip Hope of Elantris (which maybe isn't his best anyway). The other short stories in Arcanum should be safe, though. If you want to prioritize Elantris over Arcanum, that works, but make sure you read Edgedancer before Oathbringer.

Don't worry about Rithmatist and the Reckoners (Steelheart, etc.) until later. They're really fun, but they're not Cosmere.

Hope that helps! Happy reading!

So, with all of this, it is important to keep in mind that it's all still in the Easter egg stage. You've already read Stormlight before Elantris, which means you are unlikely to have picked up on the Elantrian there - but that hasn't really diminished your enjoyment of the series. I'd argue that the Warbreaker tie-in at the end of Words of Radiance is the biggest non-Hoid cross-world event, so anything else you run into to will be smaller. 

I cant' say I understand why you feel compelled to read Arcanum Unbounded as if it were a single book. It's a collection, you can easily jump around. You can use it only for Edgedancer, and read the rest of the stories after Oathbringer. But if you were to read it straight through, having read Era 1 is enough for Secret History. So you can do that.

But if you are essentially saying "I am going to read all of AU", then we can't really do much, can we? That'll leave you with only Elantris, I believe, and you can read that pretty much whenever (though, like The Bands of Mourning, you get a little bit more out of Secret History if you read Elantris first). 

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 5:59 PM, Argent said:

So, with all of this, it is important to keep in mind that it's all still in the Easter egg stage. You've already read Stormlight before Elantris, which means you are unlikely to have picked up on the Elantrian there - but that hasn't really diminished your enjoyment of the series. I'd argue that the Warbreaker tie-in at the end of Words of Radiance is the biggest non-Hoid cross-world event, so anything else you run into to will be smaller. 

I cant' say I understand why you feel compelled to read Arcanum Unbounded as if it were a single book. It's a collection, you can easily jump around. You can use it only for Edgedancer, and read the rest of the stories after Oathbringer. But if you were to read it straight through, having read Era 1 is enough for Secret History. So you can do that.

But if you are essentially saying "I am going to read all of AU", then we can't really do much, can we? That'll leave you with only Elantris, I believe, and you can read that pretty much whenever (though, like The Bands of Mourning, you get a little bit more out of Secret History if you read Elantris first). 

I'm probably going to do my best to skip around AU, it seems as though the general consensus is that AU's Mistborn stories have greater weight after era 2. So as much as I don't want to I'll wait. Which means I need to skip at least two of them, I'm going to try and appropriate funds to knock them all out HAHA. Something in my bones hates skipping around books, Had I not been introduced to Stormlight Archives First perhaps I would have begun reading in a production order instead of the order I did. I love the length of the stories of Stormlight Archives, I hope to one day get Hardbacks of them just to feel the weight of the tomes I have conquered now twice. I love the cross story references, I love how Hoid pops up, and if I had not followed a little infographic that mentioned Warbreaker was tied into S.A. and the fact that I got it on sale "Didn't know they did that on Audible" for less than 5 dollars. I probably would have yet to picked it up though like always I'm glad I did. Elantris is in it's development chapters which tend to be the chapters I hate the most, though they pay off by the middle of the book, getting introduced to a new character in a new universe is never as fun as a continuation, I think Mistborn Well of Ascension had to be one of my favorite transitions between book one and two I've read in quite some time.

Edited by Knghtstlker

Something I had not considered, was just buying the books out of rotation for Era 2, I had not realized they were not long epics like the first three, in fact all three books combined are just barely as long as WoK or WoR, So I have plenty of time to read all three of them.

I'm listening to Alloy of Law now, and have the other two Queued, I'm super excited, sadly I will have to delay Oathbringer and just Queue it so I can read through Arcanum Unbound when I get it on the 15th of November, and Oathbringer comes out on Nov. 14th. However when I finish Oathbringer I will be very pleased with myself. "Also I'll need a book for the plane 20+Hour Plane ride home", and nothing murders a 20 hour flight quite as soundly as a Stormlight Archives novel. The Way of Kings killed my plane ride over here. I should be home sometime before Christmas, though when I don't know.

With the completion of the 2nd Era of Mistborn Novels I believe I'll have all the requisite reading completed to make sure I'm not left in the dark on the short stories, and prepared for future novels released. I'm elated that Brandon Sanderson was introduced to me in my time on this deployment, I had been away from reading to pass my time, I've been so caught up with completing my education on top of my Military career, and my family that I often let my Fantasy novels gather dust. I think I'm too deep entrenched now to ever let another Sanderson Novel go unread, as well as introducing the Young adult novels to my children.

Unpopular opinion: I think Secret History is best read right after Mistborn Era 1, and that BoM spoils it rather than it spoiling BoM. Though I would say you'd be glad if you read Elantris before you read Secret History. If you do Elantris, you'll be good for everything in there except for Allomancer Jak (I don't think it spoils anything, but it's a different feel from the others anyway). If you read Elantris and then all of AU, then Oathbringer, you may even appreciate Mistborn Era 2 better as it is chronologically later than Stormlight Archive anyway.

In any case, at the point you're at right now, the only thing I wouldn't read is Hope of Elantris because of massive spoilers for Elantris, and Allomancer Jak because it wouldn't make as much sense. Secret History could be read, but give it a reread after Elantris ;)

Happy reading!

Yes!, I'm halfway through Shadows of Self already, I'm definitely going to have time to finish BoM in time for me to get AU, even if it will delay my reading Oathbringer. Thank you all for your input, It put into perspective the interconnectedness of the books I needed to read, and without anyone spoiling anything.