How the Sleepless are Watching [Edgedancer Spoilers]

Shadowmancer

There are many times where cremlings are noticed specifically in SA. After the reveal from Edgedancer that the Dysian Aimians are made up of cremlings (or creatures that are classified as cremlings by the general public) I am beginning to wonder if these cremling sightings are more than world-building and scene-setting. What if when a Radiant or proto-Radiant notices a cremling offhand it's actually a Sleepless keeping tabs on the ones who might save or destroy them?

I would like to know what exactly is a Dysian Aimian's range. We know that Arclo can watch an entire city. Can they spread even further? What is required to keep communication among the parts of the whole viable? And have we seen any others like him hanging around and just not known they were Sleepless?

The whole reason I thought of this was when I remembered J. K. Rowling foreshadowing Rita Skeeter's 

Spoiler

Animagus ability as a bug by including mentions of the black beetle every time there was a conversation where they thought they were alone.

(Spoilered in case any of you haven't read HP 4 yet.)

Anyway, not a mind-blowing theory, but it could be Sanderson's way of showing how the Sleepless really are living up to their claims on the dust jackets.

Edited by Shadowmancer
Misnamed Sleepless as Listeners

The listeners is the name of the race that comprises the Parshendi and Parshmen. 

The Sleepless, or Dysian Aimians, are made of cremlings. Not the same thing.

And your correct. We've got WoBs confirming a couple of cremlings as sleepless hordelings (the one that Hoid is telling his story to at the end of WoR is one) and multiple odd cremlings are around throughout the books. 

When Kaladin was a slave, after the highstorm he waited out in the slave wagon, he notices an odd cremling

When he was performing chasm duty, he saw an odd cremling

When he was in prison, Syl took an interest in a cremling in his cell

Last, but not least, Hoid at the end of WoR as calderis mentioned.

On 10/12/2017 at 10:12 PM, Calderis said:

And your correct. We've got WoBs confirming a couple of cremlings as sleepless hordelings (the one that Hoid is telling his story to at the end of WoR is one) and multiple odd cremlings are around throughout the books

I hadn't ever heard this! It is nice to have confirmation from Brandon on a specific cremling. Here's the WoB for those who are curious.

Question
The Epilogue of Words of Radiance. Hoid makes particular note of a cremling.

Brandon Sanderson
Yes.

Question
Dysian?

Brandon Sanderson
Hehehehe. You’re starting to learn!

Question
That epilogue just got so much--

Brandon Sanderson
Yes, he was speaking to one of the Sleepless there.

Question
So, he knows.

Brandon Sanderson
Oh, he knows!

Question
Because he makes a comment about having “no intelligent audience.”

Brandon Sanderson
Yes, yes, yes. [laughing] Of course he doesn’t have an intelligent audience!

Edit: spacing

Edited by Bernem

• Chaos locked this topic