Controversial Opinions

Cosmere:

• I actually really liked Shallan in WoK. She wasn't my favorite character (Kaladin's depression and the last flashback with Tien just resonated with me too much), but she definitely was not a boring character. I wish there would've been a lot more of her in that book.
  • Also related to Shallan, I loved her in OB. I hated that she was doing all that to herself, but I loved reading it.
  • Emperor's Soul is super overrated. I'll admit that the first time I read it I was a bit depressed so it didn't seem as good, but even on the reread it was only a little better. 
  • Sixth of the Dusk is the best short story.
  • Lift is actually a fun and interesting character. 
  • I actually loved all of Vivenna's story in Warbreaker, from beginning to end. Definitely the best part of the book. Siri's story, despite the romance arc, was quite boring.
  • Szeth is really overrated. I think he will be a really interesting character in the next two books, but he's not right now. He's a little closer after OB, but he was really bland in WoK and WoR, though the idea behind his character was so interesting.
  • Mistborn Era 1, as a whole, is better than SA. 
  • Mistborn Era 2, while not as good as Era 1, is a really good series.
  • Venli is probably one of my favorite characters in SA, if not my first favorite.
  • I don't really care if we ever get the Elantris sequels. It wasn't a bad story, I just don't care about Sel or most of its magics. AonDor is just really bland to me, though Forgery is pretty cool.
  • Oathbringer is the best book in SA so far.

Non-Cosmere:

• Inheritance was one of, if not the, first fantasy books I ever read, and it was really good. Of course, I watched Star Wars after having read it and haven't read/watched LotR, so....
  • The Last Jedi was better than The Force Awakens and most of original movies too, besides Return of the Jedi. I'm not even gonna mention the prequels because I haven't watched them.
  • Rogue One was amazing.
  • The first Divergent book was actually pretty good.
  • Ebooks are actually pretty good. For the longest time, I preferred physical books too, even going so far as to say that ebooks are horrible. But then OB came out and I had no money to buy it, but someone loaned me an ebook copy (I did go back and buy the physical copy and will buy the ebook when I have money to), and ever since then I've discovered I kind of like ebooks better. Yes, there's something special about reading a physical book, but I don't have to worry about lighting when it come so to ebooks and I can never seem to find the right lighting for physical books.
  • Except for a few songs, I really really really REALLY don't like rap. It's so stupid.

26 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:
  • I actually really liked Shallan in WoK. She wasn't my favorite character (Kaladin's depression and the last flashback with Tien just resonated with me too much), but she definitely was not a boring character. I wish there would've been a lot more of her in that book.
  • Also related to Shallan, I loved her in OB. I hated that she was doing all that to herself, but I loved reading it.

I did not initially like Shallan but she grew on me over time. I'm into my worldbuilding so I kind of enjoyed the infodump we got through her perspective in WoK.

27 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

Emperor's Soul is super overrated. I'll admit that the first time I read it I was a bit depressed so it didn't seem as good, but even on the reread it was only a little better. 

I have to disagree with you there, unfortunately. I think it is some of Brandon's best writing.

28 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

I actually loved all of Vivenna's story in Warbreaker, from beginning to end. Definitely the best part of the book. Siri's story, despite the romance arc, was quite boring.

Yes! I loved seeing her go through her trials and tribulations as she reluctantly starts using awakening. She was far more interesting than Siri in my opinion and I hope we see more of her.

30 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

Venli is probably one of my favorite characters in SA, if not my first favorite.

She is surprisingly one of my favouriute SA characters as well. On the other hand, I really disliked Eshonai's PoV. I hope the book 4 flashbacks are more centred around Venli's current predicament than Eshonai's past.

32 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

Oathbringer is the best book in SA so far.

I think it is currently the worst book in SA but may be looked back at as the best book in SA in retrospect. There were a lot of loose plot threads while it's predecessors were more self-contained. Looking at OB in the context of a 5-book arc and 10-book series is important when gauging its quality.

34 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:
  • Mistborn Era 1, as a whole, is better than SA. 
  • Mistborn Era 2, while not as good as Era 1, is a really good series.

I'd put SA with only 3 books completed ahead of MB Era 1 simply because of the Zane mess in WoA.

I actually think Mistborn Era 2 is better written than Mistborn Era 1. Brandon's writing quality has improved noticeably in the time between writing those books. Well of Ascension drags MB Era 1 down a notch for me and I think that if it had occurred in a different series it would be lambasted as a poor book. 

MB Era 2 does not have nearly as big a scope as MB Era 1 which is a big part of why I think it is seen as worse (alongside nostalgia for earlier books). Brandon intended for Era 2 to be more of an Era 1.5, acting as a stepping stone between MB Era 1 and MB Era '2' which is now the 1980's MB Era 3. By looking at this context and how Brandon has evolved the world of Scadrial over time I think an argument can be made that MB Era 2 is better than Era 1. Keep in mind that MB Era 2 is not yet finished and we will see a cameo from the Sovereign himself :D.

42 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

Except for a few songs, I really really really REALLY don't like rap. It's so stupid.

Agreed. I hate how most (mainstream) rap songs are incredibly materialistic and misogynistic. I do listen to the instrumental versions of some songs as when you take away the lyrics there are quite a few rap songs that have great beats.

44 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:
  • The Last Jedi was better than The Force Awakens and most of original movies too, besides Return of the Jedi. I'm not even gonna mention the prequels because I haven't watched them.
  • Rogue One was amazing.

I liked The Last Jedi more than TFA simply because it actually had the guts to do something other than a re-skin of a previous film. I also got a sense of schadenfreude seeing the outrage over the movie ;) 

Rogue One is actually a strong film. Some of it's main critics seem to simply be bitter about over-saturation of Star Wars films.

12 hours ago, The Harlem Worldhoppers said:

I have to disagree with you there, unfortunately. I think it is some of Brandon's best writing.

I will admit that after the reread, especially because I was in a lot better place mentally, I was amazed at how good it is. I just don't think it's his best work. 

She is surprisingly one of my favouriute SA characters as well. On the other hand, I really disliked Eshonai's PoV. I hope the book 4 flashbacks are more centred around Venli's current predicament than Eshonai's past.

Eshonai was okay. She was already on a certain path, so seeing her fulfill that path was gonna be kind of boring. It's far more interesting to see Venli have to work to fulfill that role.

I think it is currently the worst book in SA but may be looked back at as the best book in SA in retrospect. There were a lot of loose plot threads while it's predecessors were more self-contained. Looking at OB in the context of a 5-book arc and 10-book series is important when gauging its quality.

Oh yeah, I agree. How I see it is that while there were some loose plot threads or arcs that, in some people's opinions, were unsatisfying, the rest of the book was storming amazing and makes up for its flaws. Of course, we'll see how I feel about it in 15 years.

I'd put SA with only 3 books completed ahead of MB Era 1 simply because of the Zane mess in WoA.

I actually think Mistborn Era 2 is better written than Mistborn Era 1. Brandon's writing quality has improved noticeably in the time between writing those books. Well of Ascension drags MB Era 1 down a notch for me and I think that if it had occurred in a different series it would be lambasted as a poor book. 

MB Era 2 does not have nearly as big a scope as MB Era 1 which is a big part of why I think it is seen as worse (alongside nostalgia for earlier books). Brandon intended for Era 2 to be more of an Era 1.5, acting as a stepping stone between MB Era 1 and MB Era '2' which is now the 1980's MB Era 3. By looking at this context and how Brandon has evolved the world of Scadrial over time I think an argument can be made that MB Era 2 is better than Era 1. Keep in mind that MB Era 2 is not yet finished and we will see a cameo from the Sovereign himself :D.

That's fair about the Zane thing.

Yeah, I agree that Era 2 is better written than Era 1. That's just a matter of fact; Brandon has improved a lot as a writer since he wrote the first trilogy. What makes Era 1 better to me is the fact that it's all so cohesive and everything is foreshadowed and plotted so well. For most trilogies I read, it's sometimes hard to tell where the middle book starts and ends and it all kind of blurs into one book (same for most series), but not for Mistborn. And the whole thing with the Hero of Ages reveal in HoA was so perfect. I really loved all of the main characters and was rooting for all of them; there wasn't a single character I was bored with. I forgot where I was going with this, so I'll stop now :P.

15 hours ago, The Harlem Worldhoppers said:

I liked The Last Jedi more than TFA simply because it actually had the guts to do something other than a re-skin of a previous film. I also got a sense of schadenfreude seeing the outrage over the movie ;) 

Rogue One is actually a strong film. Some of it's main critics seem to simply be bitter about over-saturation of Star Wars films.

Last Jedi had its share of problems, but I agree with your first sentence nonetheless.  I'd also add that I really liked the long term chase scene was really cool.

Rogue one is great, but also could have been better.  there are a few places where the seams show through, like the way the pilot (brodi or whatever his name was) goes from being functionally braindead to main character.  but overall very good.

3 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

TLJ was a necessary movie. Star Wars needs to do new things, not repeat old stuff. And I say this as someone who also loved TFA and Solo. 

Maybe your right, but I still didn't like TLJ. The first three Stars Wars movies (meaning 4-6) still are the best in my opinion.

I found it really hard to read the wheel of time... I started several times and always put the books away. I simply didn't get the feeling for characters or the world. The setting was interessing, but it didn't grab me. Until it got known that Brandon will finish them. Then I forced me to read them, and I still didn't like them a lot...

I like a lot of disney's movies like Frozen, or Epic or Vayanna. I love the way they take up a problem, make a great movie and find a solution. And Let it go is a good song.

I have a lot of problems with Elantris and think it's overrated.

I think pineapple on pizza is glorious.

Toilet paper should be hung with the paper rolling towards you, not towards the wall for Pete's sake.

1 hour ago, Zellyia said:

I have a lot of problems with Elantris and think it's overrated.

Elantris is squandered potential. There could be something exciting there, and that's what I find appealing. The book, by itself, does not mean much right now. Leaving it without a sequel for so long has been a mistake on Brandon's part in my controversial opining.

Warbreaker will have that issue as well. It's better than Elantris, but still suffers the same "this is a standalone, but not really" syndrome Brandon has with alot of his books.

That's actually a big reason why I think Emperor's Soul is his best work: it's a standalone that actually stands alone! 

Cosmere:

• Siri-Susebron romance from Warbreaker is the only romance that Sanderson wrote that i *really* liked. All the other romance just ranged from so-so, indifferent and whatever
  • I don't think Hoid is that important in the grand scheme of things. I see him as an observer that is meant for us to see the important event or narrate it to us or pinpoint it to us,
  • Odium is overrated and kinda overhyped after reading Oathbringer. He basically turned from a really menacing villain(with so much cosmere and Sanderson hyped behind him) to just a average dark lord in the book. Ruin was so MUCH better but i really hope this changes in the future. I don't want another disappointing villain.
  • Ambition could've potentially been a really really good main villain on Cosmere scale. 
  • I don't think Endowment is as innocent and none-interventiony as people would assume.
  • I don't want the reformation of Adonalsium endgame plot for cosmere. I think it's bad, cannot be executed well and really predictable

None-Cosmere : 

• In WoT i really thought that Egwene and Perrin could've been a thing (there time with the thinkers). And SHOUL'VE been a thing. I disliked their canon pairs.
  • In WoT i really wished that Nynaeve and Rand later became their canon pair. Or Rand and Moiraine alternatively.
  • The Revenge of the Sith is my favorite starwars movie by far. It has the most lightsaber combat(it has master Sith vs master Jedi fight) and it has the best storyline.
  • I thought the starwars sequels was pretty disappointing and i don't even consider them as canon in my head.
  • I thought the conclusion movie of Harry Potter was pretty weak(i haven't read the books just seen the movies). Voldemort is a disappointing foe and i didn't understand how Harry matched up to him.
  • For some reason i fall asleep everytime i rewatch LOTR films. I think the films have too much dragging parts but the actiony parts was still cool tho
  • Malazan is good but not that good that people praise it for.
  • Avengers 3 could've been a really really cool movie if 
    Spoiler

Thanos also picked himself as part of the dying half in the end. As it would represent his sincerity to his mission to help. 

otherwise it's still good enough. Still one of the few movies that fulfilled the hype of the villain tho(Odium take notes now)

• The Last of Us was something special. I don't think the sequel or anything in the future will ever compete with it or grant the same level of satisfaction.

• The Avengers 2 main villain in concept should've given the heroes a really really hard time. 

• I liked hunger games(the books at least) but i could not care less about the rest that is similar to it like Divergent or Battle Royal. 

• I SUPER dislike the representation of elves in most form of fiction. The one very similar to Tolkien where they are wise, gentle, whatever where they're better than everybody at everything and only pride is their downfall. Yeah i hate those elves. I always liked all races having cons not just all pros.

None-fiction and More IRL:

• I prefer salty-bitter food over sweets most of the time even when i have access to tons of sweets.
  • I avoid watching the news. It just sometimes breaks my heart and makes me lose more hope about humanity.
Edited by goody153

6 hours ago, goody153 said:
  • I avoid watching the news. It just sometimes breaks my heart and makes me lose more hope about humanity.

Same here. Sometimes I just want curl up and cry over how careless and uncaring we humans can be. Call me negative but we are one the worst things that could happen to our planet. (Except for Ruin...)

I like Ruin. Such a great opponent...

16 hours ago, goody153 said:

Siri-Susebron romance from Warbreaker is the only romance that Sanderson wrote that i *really* liked. All the other romance just ranged from so-so, indifferent and whatever

I'm OK with the SA romances, but I'd agree that Siri-Susebron is stronger than them.  Elend-Vin never worked for me though.

26 minutes ago, Lump-wing said:

I really like the "Jon & Lobo" series of sci-fi novels by Mark Van Name - they're not very popular, and I don't understand why. Lots of action, sentient spaceship, nano-enhanced human... what's not to like?

So I gave them a google. I haven't read them so no comment on the story, but if I were to judge a book by it's cover.....wow.  The first three novels look like they came out in the 1980s, not mid 2000s.  Maybe it's a deliberate homage or something, but yikes.  

11 hours ago, Lump-wing said:

I really like the "Jon & Lobo" series of sci-fi novels by Mark Van Name - they're not very popular, and I don't understand why. Lots of action, sentient spaceship, nano-enhanced human... what's not to like?

I think I'll try them out. I looked them up and the cover are great.

But First Empire of Ashes. It just hit the Market yesterday  (or the day before) and I'm so excited to see what will happen...

On 7/11/2018 at 9:15 PM, Zellyia said:

So I gave them a google. I haven't read them so no comment on the story, but if I were to judge a book by it's cover.....wow.  The first three novels look like they came out in the 1980s, not mid 2000s.  Maybe it's a deliberate homage or something, but yikes.  

Yeah, the publisher is Baen, and they kind of had a retro thing going. Books 4 & 5 have more modern covers. He's supposedly finishing book 6 now (please let it be true!).

The 4th book, "Children No More," revolves around rescuing children from guerilla soldiers who have basically kidnapped them, killed their families, and coerced them to "join" their army. The author has donated the profits from the book to an organization that helps kids IRL who are in these kinds of situations. I really respect that Van Name is trying to shed light on an injustice & putting his $$ where his mouth and heart are.

If you like action & cool future tech, IMO you'll like this series. :)

Edited by Lump-wing
oops

On 10/07/2018 at 11:18 PM, goody153 said:

• Avengers 3 could've been a really really cool movie if 
      Reveal hidden contents

Thanos also picked himself as part of the dying half in the end. As it would represent his sincerity to his mission to help. 

otherwise it's still good enough. Still one of the few movies that fulfilled the hype of the villain tho(Odium take notes now)

This... uh... I don't think that

Spoiler

Thanos had a choice who died, he just killed half of the universe randomly (he does mention randomness and a lack of discrimination several times)

Plus, there are theories that he is part of the dead half, and is surviving due to the stones.

And on the theme of Marvel:

I honestly don't understand the obsession with Bucky.

I kind of hope that (Infinity War spoilers)

Spoiler

They don't manage to bring everyone that turned to dust back at the end of Avengers 4.

While it doesn't fit in with the MCU, The Incredible Hulk is actually a pretty good movie.

Edited by Totally_Not_A_Worldhopper

5 hours ago, Totally_Not_A_Worldhopper said:

This... uh... I don't think that

Hide contents

Thanos had a choice who died, he just killed half of the universe randomly (he does mention randomness and a lack of discrimination several times)

Plus, there are theories that he is part of the dead half, and is surviving due to the stones.

And on the theme of Marvel:

I honestly don't understand the obsession with Bucky.

I kind of hope that (Infinity War spoilers)

Hide contents

They don't manage to bring everyone that turned to dust back at the end of Avengers 4.

While it doesn't fit in with the MCU, The Incredible Hulk is actually a pretty good movie.

That's interesting. 

Spoiler

I thought Thanos picked who lived and died

and yeah a deus ex machina of 

Spoiler

reviving everybody is a terrible idea. Well apparently it said in an interview that they're dead dead or something.

I don't know if this is a controversial opinion or not, considering the backlash, but I really don't like much at all from the new Star Wars movies.  TFA very much feels like a re-skin of A New Hope.  What they did to Han Solo is just criminal.  At the end of Return of the Jedi he has accepted his greater responsibilities, has really grown as a character, and TFA comes in and completely reverses everything about him.  I don't mind that he died, I know that they have to make way for new characters, but completely character assassinating the original ones is not the way to do it.  

They did the same thing to Luke.  Most optimistic person in the universe who refuses to kill his father who is the second most evil dude in the universe because he feels a shred of good in him, is going to turn around and possibly kill his nephew who 'might' turn to the dark side?  No, I don't buy it.  And then he goes off to do the Yoda thing in self imposed exile?  Cutting himself off from the force?  No, I don't buy it.  You do not have to so seriously screw up good characters to make way for the new ones.  

The whole trilogy honestly feels like we are doing the Empire against the Rebels all over again.  They might do a few different things, but it honestly feels like we have been here before.  

Then we have Rey.  You know, at first, I actually really liked her.  I did.  I thought she was interesting, intriguing, and fun.  Then she mind tricks a storm trooper, or whatever they're called now, I don't remember, without ever having any training.  That's when she started downhill.  Then she managed to beat a highly trained Force Sensitive in a lightsaber battle without any training whatsoever.  I don't care that he was wounded, there was no reason he shouldn't have won that fight.  It's like...Michael Jordan with a bum leg taking on Lebron James before he has ever touched a basketball.  Lebron might be a prodigy, but I'll take Jordan with the bum leg every time because you still need to train.  The whole Force creates a balance thing feels like lazy writing.  Luke was tried, he was tested, he suffered, he failed, but in the end he perservered.  In the end, he earned his place as a hero.  Rey has earned nothing.  Every situation she encounters she just seems to be able to plow her way through.  It's a shame, she really started out being a fantastic character.  Then she nose dived into being a Mary Sue.    

TLJ as a whole just feels like it's poorly written.  The pointless chase through space, with the mutiny that would never have been if commander lady had just explained her freaking plan to Poe.  Speaking of Poe, he was a cool character in the first one, and made to look like an idiot in the second one.  Leia's Mary Poppins thing.  If she was trained in the Force by her brother, then make reference to it and I'll be fine.  The pointless casino planet stuff.  What they did to Luke.  Seemingly tossing a potentially cool villain like Snoke, silly name notwithstanding, to the wayside.  I was really hoping the fan theory I heard of that he was actually Darth Plagueis, was true, that he was pulling all the strings since the prequel trilogy.  Ah well.  Force ghosts can now apparently lightning blast things on fire, and what was Yoda doing using a power that until now was only seen being used by Dark Siders?  

The only thing I really like about the movies anymore is Finn.  He is the only character they have managed to not ruin for me.  I think all the people trying to yell that these movies are SJW propaganda are idiots.  So that's not why I don't like them.  I don't like them because they are just not...good.  I loved Star Wars.  Maybe if I had never seen the originals, I would like these new ones more, but I have.  I even like the prequels better.  I even liked Jar Jar.  Yes that's right, I said it, I liked Jar Jar.  :P

Sorry everyone, lol.  This is actually the first time I have ranted about this...well...online anyway, guess I am having a rough morning and needed to vent about something to someone.  :P

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2018 at 10:52 AM, Wolven said:

I don't know if this is a controversial opinion or not, considering the backlash, but I really don't like much at all from the new Star Wars movies.  TFA very much feels like a re-skin of A New Hope.  What they did to Han Solo is just criminal.  At the end of Return of the Jedi he has accepted his greater responsibilities, has really grown as a character, and TFA comes in and completely reverses everything about him.  I don't mind that he died, I know that they have to make way for new characters, but completely character assassinating the original ones is not the way to do it.  

They did the same thing to Luke.  Most optimistic person in the universe who refuses to kill his father who is the second most evil dude in the universe because he feels a shred of good in him, is going to turn around and possibly kill his nephew who 'might' turn to the dark side?  No, I don't buy it.  And then he goes off to do the Yoda thing in self imposed exile?  Cutting himself off from the force?  No, I don't buy it.  You do not have to so seriously screw up good characters to make way for the new ones.  

The whole trilogy honestly feels like we are doing the Empire against the Rebels all over again.  They might do a few different things, but it honestly feels like we have been here before.  

Then we have Rey.  You know, at first, I actually really liked her.  I did.  I thought she was interesting, intriguing, and fun.  Then she mind tricks a storm trooper, or whatever they're called now, I don't remember, without ever having any training.  That's when she started downhill.  Then she managed to beat a highly trained Force Sensitive in a lightsaber battle without any training whatsoever.  I don't care that he was wounded, there was no reason he shouldn't have won that fight.  It's like...Michael Jordan with a bum leg taking on Lebron James before he has ever touched a basketball.  Lebron might be a prodigy, but I'll take Jordan with the bum leg every time because you still need to train.  The whole Force creates a balance thing feels like lazy writing.  Luke was tried, he was tested, he suffered, he failed, but in the end he perservered.  In the end, he earned his place as a hero.  Rey has earned nothing.  Every situation she encounters she just seems to be able to plow her way through.  It's a shame, she really started out being a fantastic character.  Then she nose dived into being a Mary Sue.    

TLJ as a whole just feels like it's poorly written.  The pointless chase through space, with the mutiny that would never have been if commander lady had just explained her freaking plan to Poe.  Speaking of Poe, he was a cool character in the first one, and made to look like an idiot in the second one.  Leia's Mary Poppins thing.  If she was trained in the Force by her brother, then make reference to it and I'll be fine.  The pointless casino planet stuff.  What they did to Luke.  Seemingly tossing a potentially cool villain like Snoke, silly name notwithstanding, to the wayside.  I was really hoping the fan theory I heard of that he was actually Darth Plagueis, was true, that he was pulling all the strings since the prequel trilogy.  Ah well.  Force ghosts can now apparently lightning blast things on fire, and what was Yoda doing using a power that until now was only seen being used by Dark Siders?  

The only thing I really like about the movies anymore is Finn.  He is the only character they have managed to not ruin for me.  I think all the people trying to yell that these movies are SJW propaganda are idiots.  So that's not why I don't like them.  I don't like them because they are just not...good.  I loved Star Wars.  Maybe if I had never seen the originals, I would like these new ones more, but I have.  I even like the prequels better.  I even liked Jar Jar.  Yes that's right, I said it, I liked Jar Jar.  :P

Sorry everyone, lol.  This is actually the first time I have ranted about this...well...online anyway, guess I am having a rough morning and needed to vent about something to someone.  :P

Eh, I would agree with you on most of it, and might go a bit further.

TFA was a boring movie, pointless, with one character who when I first watched it, thought they might do something interesting with. That is to say, Finn. Meanwhile his character has been wasted, no exploration of him has been made, he's not the best actor, and "Bring it on, Chromedome" or whatever. TLJ was one of the more poorly written movies I've seen in some time in so many ways. It tried to be new, yet did the same things previous movies did anyways, originality is hard or whatever. It tried to be a deconstructionist thingo and failed, whilst other Star Wars stuff have done better deconstruction of pretty much the same things (looking at KOTOR 1 & 2). The few good actors in TLJ were wasted (Snoke, Mary Poppins, and Not-Luke).

On the topic of Star Wars,

Rogue One had many problems, most of all that it was completely pointless and predictable. 

Solo is a steaming pile of crem.

And I can't believe they managed to fail with battlefront, whose first two games are among my favorite in the genre.

Continuing on: Marvel

I think that Marvel is in a sucky state, with how it's treating its comics, and its meh movies, and I think that the meh movies are the worst thing about Marvel. I think that people holding the MCU overall on a pedestal encourages the lowering of standards for movies and all. It has probably three good movies, the first Iron Man, which I would say is the best of MCU, Doctor Strange, which I would consider to be a solid movie, and maybe Captain America/and or CA:WS.

And on another topic: Avatar (not the movie about the blue-skinned schmoes)

Korra had a lot of problems, and wasn't close to TLA in terms of quality.

And, Alcatraz v Evil Librarians is some of Brandon's best work

Also Zane worked great in WoA, so thinks I.

1 hour ago, Secrets said:

Korra had a lot of problems, and wasn't close to TLA in terms of quality.

i'm curious did you watch all 4 seasons?  becuase there are definite problems in season 1 and season 2 is pretty terrible, but I felt that season 3 was fantastic, and season 4 was solid (though with too much focus on the stupid mech suits - they don't make for nearly as interesting combat as bending does)

2 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

i'm curious did you watch all 4 seasons?  becuase there are definite problems in season 1 and season 2 is pretty terrible, but I felt that season 3 was fantastic, and season 4 was solid (though with too much focus on the stupid mech suits - they don't make for nearly as interesting combat as bending does)

Eh, well I think the show just has multiple running problems, probably the greatest being Korra herself, oh well. It's been some time since I have watched TFA or LoK, probably in need of a rewatch. I do not think though that, as I said, it really came close to TFA, which is probably one of the best if not the best tv shows I've seen.

7 minutes ago, Secrets said:

Eh, well I think the show just has multiple running problems, probably the greatest being Korra herself, oh well. It's been some time since I have watched TFA or LoK, probably in need of a rewatch. I do not think though that, as I said, it really came close to TFA, which is probably one of the best if not the best tv shows I've seen.

I liked Korra, but definitely if you didn't like her character, then that would throw off the whole show for you.

54 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

I liked Korra, but definitely if you didn't like her character, then that would throw off the whole show for you.

She was just a bit too much of a Mary Sue for me in some ways, that's just one thing, there's more I would say, but it is most definitely something that can throw stuff off. Like with the Kingkiller Chronicles, where Kvothe is most definitely a Gary Stu, with that and the lack of plot/anything at all happening being the series largest flaws.