Controversial Opinions

1 minute ago, mattig89ch said:

Ah, but he's done a steam punk novel as well.  2 in fact.  Thats the only reason I'm here.  That and I get bored while at work.

So you're not a fan of medieval genre fantasy then gotcha. I would still classify Steampunk as a sub-genre of fantasy.

1 minute ago, The Invested Beard said:

So you're not a fan of medieval genre fantasy then gotcha. I would still classify Steampunk as a sub-genre of fantasy.

Yea, I rather like the fantasy stuff outside of the medieval times era.  The shadow run games are a great example.  But there is nothing about the medieval time period I like.  Not even really sword fighting in modern times.

Just now, mattig89ch said:

Yea, I rather like the fantasy stuff outside of the medieval times era.  The shadow run games are a great example.  But there is nothing about the medieval time period I like.  Not even really sword fighting in modern times.

Not even serfs? They're so lovable! ;)

9 hours ago, PlanetReelo said:

I can't stand Doctor Who. :ph34r: I've tried to watch it many times on the insistence of some die-hard friends, but I find it incredibly hammy and cringeworthy. 

I liked the idea, but I find the screenwriters are so ... cliche. That and they don't seem to follow any consistent sort of rules. There are arbitrary limits to what the Doctor can and can't do, and they're broken all the time.

Warning, unpopular opinion incoming...

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

I can't stand Borndoodle Clamberhatch outside of one singular movie, Amazing Grace. Didn't like Sherlock, didn't like Doctor Strange, etc. He's talented, for sure, but I just ... don't like him. :unsure:

5 hours ago, mattig89ch said:

It seems like most of the games nowadays, don't have a soul to them.  They seem so bland, just cookie cutter games with a different frosting (to keep with the cookie theme).

I would recommend checking out some of the indie games that have come out recently, they tend to be much more unique than big production titles where someone is risking loosing millions if it doesn't go over well.

As for my unpopular opinion, I didn't like Robin Hobbs' 'Assassins' trilogy. I never made it to any of her other series, so I dont know if they get better, but I only made it about half way through the second book before I just got bored.

I don't know why I don't like them, since they're recommended here all the time and they have a lot in common with some of my other favorites, I just can't get into them though.

Edited by Cowmanthethird

1 minute ago, Cowmanthethird said:

As for my unpopular opinion, I didn't like Robin Hobb's 'Assassins' trilogy. I never made it to any of her other series, so I dont know if they get better, but I only made it about half way through the second book before I just got bored.

I don't know why I don't like them, since they're recommended here all the time and they have a lot in common with some of my other favorites, I just can't get into them though.

I'm in a similar boat.  I've been working on book 2 for a couple of months, and I'm only a bit past the middle.  Every now and then I'm able to pick it up and read another chapter, but it takes energy and I have other things I'd rather be reading.  Fingers crossed that I can finish it before Oathbringer!

8 minutes ago, anna said:

I'm in a similar boat.  I've been working on book 2 for a couple of months, and I'm only a bit past the middle.  Every now and then I'm able to pick it up and read another chapter, but it takes energy and I have other things I'd rather be reading.  Fingers crossed that I can finish it before Oathbringer!

I know what you mean, I had the audiobooks and just kept finding myself not paying attention.

I eventually stopped trying because Arcanum Unbounded came out, so good luck on finishing it in time :P

If you are struggling with Book 2 of Robin Hobbs' Assassin Trilogy, Book 3 is going to be impossible for you to get through. At this point, you have found out Hobbs is not for you and you can go on to other books. 

My controversial opinion? I don't believe in a Literary Canon. There is not a single book or author that "everyone should read." Not Shakespeare, not Tolkien, not To Kill a Mockingbird, not anything. 

Yes, some books influence others. However, you can enjoy, say, the Lion King just as well only knowing the general plot of Hamlet. Reading Hamlet won't improve your experience. Read Hamlet because it is Hamlet or not at all. 

Edited by TheOrlionThatComesBefore

Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, Hunger Games, and Divergent: all are overhyped and not very good books (haven't seen the movies/tv show). While we're at it, Rick Riorden's books aren't all that great. The first two series (Percy Jackson and Kane Chronicles) were okay, the rest suck.

The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, and Chronicles of Narnia are awesome. I actually have some very-early-edition Narnia books (possibly first-edition), which makes it better. And The Silmarillion is a great book which I have actually read the entirety of.

Most books labeled classics are awful. I hated Lord of the Flies. Shakespeare's good, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Peanut butter is gross.

Bacon is a crime against nature.

Anne Rice is the most overrated author in the SF/F/H genre cluster.

On 11/2/2017 at 10:05 PM, Pestis the Spider said:

- Rats are wonderful animals that are not disgusting in the slightest. Their tails are their best parts. 

Rats are adorable.

1) Possums are awesomes.

2) The earth isn't flat, but I'm glad we have Flat-Earthers around to keep the rest of us from getting complacent. 

3) Phantom Menace is one of the best Star Wars movies. 

4) We need more fantasy novels with weird, schizophrenic tech trees. Dark Sun IN SPAAAACE!

On 10/12/2017 at 2:30 PM, Mulk said:

I love the Transformers movies. I love them. I'm not going for a great movie or great acting. I'm going because GIANT ROBOTS FIGHTING AND TRANSFORMING OMG. 

Haydn Christensen wasn't nearly as bad as people give him grief for in the Star Wars prequels...

I'm with you on this. My educational background and future career is incredibly taxing, emotionally/mentally, so I usually avoid movies that try to be deeply philosophical, etc. in lieu of the escapism of things like giant robots and rust getting blown up; I am 100% unashamed of my love for "Man of Steel".

When I think of the Star Wars prequels I think the actors would be close to the bottom of the list of things to be blameworthy (a lot of 'em are only as good as the material they're given and the direction they receive - both of which Lucas was profoundly lacking by that point in time), but I can't help but see Hayden Christensen and think, "y'know what? After seeing those first two Spider-Man movies, I really think James Franco would've been a fantastic choice for the role of Anakin."

Edited by Aleph-Naught
lack -> lacking