Controversial Opinions

On 10/12/2017 at 4:17 PM, Briar King said:

What's the difference from this these 2 threads? 

Eh, this one's newer. I'll lock the old one.

I'll add one to the ring: I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was exceptionally boring. I know it's well done for what it is, but I really didn't like what it is. 

On 10/13/2017 at 2:27 PM, anna said:

I came here to say that I sort-of like the Star Wars prequels, but apparently that's a fairly common opinion!  If you're still not convinced, try them in Machete Order (4, 5, 2, 3, 6, 7)

Still finding it funny that the couple of times I've seen the machete order mentioned, 1 was always left out.

For my own contributions:
- I liked the Inheritance Cycle (yes, it has flaws, but it was one of the things that got me reading fantasy)
- I really dislike Harry Potter's magic system. The books aren't that bad, but as soon as I started reading books with harder magic systems I started to dislike it.
And worst of all:
- I like Lift ;-)

There are so many better Science Fiction stories than Star Wars.

For those curious I would include the following to that statement: Banks' Culture series, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, the Expanse, Cook's Darkwar trilogy, Tales of a Dying Earth, Red Rising series, Hurley's God War trilogy etc

12 hours ago, Ammanas said:

There are so many better Science Fiction stories than Star Wars.

For those curious I would include the following to that statement: Banks' Culture series, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, the Expanse, Cook's Darkwar trilogy, Tales of a Dying Earth, Red Rising series, Hurley's God War trilogy etc

Seconded with Banks, I'd also like to add the Lost Fleet series and (depending on whether or not you view it as scifi), Jules Verne.

4 hours ago, Unhinged said:

I find dark fantasy incredibly boring and predictable.

By extension I loathed both A Song of Ice and fire and the Dresden files.

And as a bonus controversial opinion I think you are the only person who has labeled the Dresden Files as Dark fantasy. Most people would consider them urban fantasy and a lighthearted one too. 

Edited by Ammanas

4 hours ago, Ammanas said:

And as a bonus controversial opinion I think you are the only person who has labeled the Dresden Files as Dark fantasy. Most people would consider them urban fantasy and a lighthearted one too. 

Well to be fair I did like it at first and I found that the series struck a solid balance between being dark and being funny then Changes, Ghost story and cold Days happened and the series crossed the line from dark and edgy to bleak and hopeless. It also doesn't help that I started predicting plot twists which obviously robs them of the shock value. 

Also just to add to my contrasting nature I loved both Gantz and Berserk which I've heard lots of people say they hated because they were to dark.

I've never seen Star Wars. Or Lord of the Rings. Or Harry Potter.

I haven't read Harry Potter either, and I probably never will.

I tried to read Lord of the Rings, but found it incredibly boring. (The plot was good, when there actually was plot happening, it just took way too long to get anywhere).

On 10/20/2017 at 9:22 AM, kenod said:

- I liked the Inheritance Cycle (yes, it has flaws, but it was one of the things that got me reading fantasy)

I love them, to be honest. Are they unpopular?

25 minutes ago, Caesura said:

I love them, to be honest. Are they unpopular?

I like them too, but they have received criticism (pretty fair criticism) for being overly similar to Lord of the Rings and Star Wars. The plot of the first book in particular is basically Star Wars all over again.

7 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I like them too, but they have received criticism (pretty fair criticism) for being overly similar to Lord of the Rings and Star Wars. The plot of the first book in particular is basically Star Wars all over again.

The wise/old-sage-finds-young-obscure-hero/prophesied one-in-backwater-locale is a fairly common trope. Inheritance > LotR as it has dragons :D

Edited by ParadoxicalZen

1 hour ago, ParadoxicalZen said:

The wise/old-sage-finds-young-obscure-hero/prophesied one-in-backwater-locale is a fairly common trope. Inheritance > LotR as it has dragons :D

Agreed - dragons make everything better.

9 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

And since I haven't seen either of them I didn't notice the similarity :P To be fair, Christopher Paolini was 15 when he wrote Eragon, so it's a pretty solid effort.

55 minutes ago, Caesura said:

Agreed - dragons make everything better.

And since I haven't seen either of them I didn't notice the similarity :P To be fair, Christopher Paolini was 15 when he wrote Eragon, so it's a pretty solid effort.

Is it bad that I noticed the similarity at 14 without having watched Star Wars, just playing the lego games?

2 hours ago, kenod said:

Is it bad that I noticed the similarity at 14 without having watched Star Wars, just playing the lego games?

Nah, not at all. I was 12/13 and all "Ooh dragons! Magic!" and read the first three books in a matter of days, so I probably glossed over the cliche tropes for the most part.