Oathbringer Typos (spoilers)

Jofwu

E-book; Chapter I-5, Taravangian's perspective:

The Diagram—which was the name for this book and for the organization that studied it—had not originally been written merely on paper, for on that day of majestic capacity, Taravangian had annexed every surface to during what felt like a different lifetime, as alien to him now as was the drooling idiot he sometimes became.

The word "to" doesn't appear to fit into this sentence.  Not sure if it's in the hardcover.

US Hardcover

Page 530

Out beyond the lumberyards, parshman troops practiced close-order drill and received basic weapon training.

I believe "drill" should be "drills".

Page 1242

This is yet another mechanical imitation of something once only available only to a select few within the bounds of an Invested Art.

There should be only one "only" in the sentence.

When Navani is reading the Eila Stele, it reads "They were a people forlorn, without home." When that passage is repeated in the epigraphs, it reads "without a home." Intentional? 

(Yes, I went over that very carefully to see if Brandon was pulling a Well of Ascension again. That's the only discrepancy, and it looks like a typo.)

6 minutes ago, neithan said:

@dbmeboy See Peter’s response to this post 

Huh, hadn't seen that one.  I guess that makes me old now?  Or perhaps just someone who doesn't like how people commonly misusing a word to mean something nearly the opposite of its original meaning becomes accepted use.  I also refuse to accept that "literally" can me "figuratively" after all...

Just now, Felt said:

I just finished the book, but I'm missing pages 1154 to 1183.... Chapter 120, hardback edition bought in Holland.

Can I somehow get this chapter? 

Did anybody else get this hartwreching issue too? 

Ouch. That's the absolute worst place to have missing pages.

Page 1006 of Oathbringer:

In the lower part of the page, Kaladin and Shallan are conversing and I quote

"I..." He spoke with such authority, such a compelling sense of motion. "I don't know, Kaladin."

"We're heading in the right direction," he said, firm. "I saw it, Shallan."

According to the phrasing of that sentence, Shallan changes genders for a single sentence. It threw me off the first time I read that.

45 minutes ago, Captains Domon said:

Page 1006 of Oathbringer:

In the lower part of the page, Kaladin and Shallan are conversing and I quote

According to the phrasing of that sentence, Shallan changes genders for a single sentence. It threw me off the first time I read that.

Both of those "he"s are referring to Kaladin.

8 minutes ago, Captains Domon said:

It is not, because the quotation before ends with quotation marks. If it were Kaladin speaking, it would have no marks, and just continue with him speaking on the next paragraph.

Well now I feel bad for cluttering up the thread.

The first paragraph you quoted is Shallan speaking, yes. But the sentence between the quoted fragments is Shallan-as-narrator thinking about how convincing Kaladin is, not Shallan-as-narrator patting herself on the back for how much authority she put into "I...".

The next paragraph picks up with Kaladin speaking, and has a more traditional saidism (he said, firm).

On 26-11-2017 at 2:18 AM, RShara said:

The word "to" doesn't appear to fit into this sentence.  Not sure if it's in the hardcover.

I went to look this up, and according to my hardcover you're missing a lot of text. This is what my book says:

Taravangian had annexed every surface to hold his genius - from the cabinetry to the walls - and while doing so had invented new languages to better express ideas that had to be recorded, by necessity, in a medium less perfect than his thoughts. Even as the intellect he was today, the sight of that writing enforced humility; he leafed through pages packed with tiny scrawls, copied - spots, scratches and all - from the original Diagram room, created during what felt like a different lifetime, as alien to him now as was the drooling idiot he sometimes became.

Edited by Willow

6 hours ago, Willow said:

I went to look this up, and according to my hardcover you're missing a lot of text. This is what my book says:

Holy crap.  Yeah, that's definitely not in my GooglePlay book.  Let me try redownloading it.  Maybe it's been fixed or something got corrupted.

Edit: Redownloaded and it looks like that text is there.  Not sure if mine got corrupted, or fixed.

Edited by RShara

Ok here I go,

Jasnah undid the buttons on her safehand sleeve and pinned it back, exposing the gloved hand underneath. In preparation, she’d also worn a scout’s yellow and gold havah, with shorter skirts slit at the sides and front, trousers underneath. Sturdy boots.

Jasnah moved into the temple, gripping her Shardblade, stepping on slippered feet.

The two scenes come right after each other, what gives?

On 11/22/2017 at 1:22 PM, Effir said:

Not sure if this goes in here, but my book (US edition, ordered from bookdepository.co.uk) has pages 481 to 512 missing, with duplicated pages 417 to 448 in its place.

I think a couple more books will have the same error, so beware.

If your book is missing pages, exchange it at a bookstore for free. You shouldn't even need the receipt, but it helps. It's a defective book and will not be worth money in the future.

On 11/23/2017 at 9:36 PM, RShara said:

Interlude I-2, Ellista's perspective

Fecundity is defined as " the ability to produce an abundance of offspring or new growth; fertility."  That doesn't seem to fit in with the meaning of the sentence?

I-21, Shallan's perspective

Should "reverie" be "revelry"?

Interlude I-21, Venli's perspective

Should that be "to Irritation, then to Lost"?  I assume Timbre is pulsing to a Rhythm.

1. Fecundity is correct. It's talking about growing plants.

2. It should be revelry.

3. It's correct here. The name of it is the Rhythm of the Lost.

On 11/24/2017 at 4:38 PM, kaellok said:

Not a typo, but out of 4 consecutive sentences, the word 'strikingly' is used descriptively in two of them.   Seeing that was enough to pull me out of the flow of the story for a bit, and still remember a week later.

p.39, US hardcover, last sentence of the penultimate paragraph: "...it was strikingly easy to get lost in this place..."

p.40, US hardcover, first sentence of the first paragraph: "...a strikingly high structure..."

We might fix this someday.

On 11/22/2017 at 0:10 PM, Bacon said:

In the audiobook, Dalinar talks about supporting "Galivar" during a flashback (don't have a timestamp but it was in the flashback where the Thrill almost drove him to kill his brother)

Thanks.

On 11/22/2017 at 0:25 PM, Willow said:

This is less a typo, and (maybe) more of an inconsistency, but on page 169 of the hardcover Dalinar thinks Rial is a little pale for an Alethi, while on page 582 Dalinar thinks he's 'leathery and dark-skinned'.

We need to fix this.

On 11/25/2017 at 9:05 PM, BeskarKomrk said:

US Hardcover

Page 530

I believe "drill" should be "drills".

Page 1242

There should be only one "only" in the sentence.

1. It's correct as-is.

2. This one was caught and reported already.

On 11/26/2017 at 7:24 AM, neithan said:

US Hardcover page 407, paragraph 5: "they went there automatically. and those who"

"and" should be capitalized. This was an easy mistake to make because the Stormfather speaks in small caps.

We will fix it.

On 11/26/2017 at 5:25 PM, Paragrin said:

When Navani is reading the Eila Stele, it reads "They were a people forlorn, without home." When that passage is repeated in the epigraphs, it reads "without a home." Intentional? 

(Yes, I went over that very carefully to see if Brandon was pulling a Well of Ascension again. That's the only discrepancy, and it looks like a typo.)

We will fix it.

On 11/28/2017 at 8:38 AM, Ailvara said:

A lot of confusing negation in this one, so I'm not sure, but shouldn't that be "not so lively that I would mind a seat" or maybe "not so lively that I wouldn't need/want a seat"? 

Kindle UK version, page 1058

Yeah...we need to fix it.

1 hour ago, ScavellTane said:

Ok here I go,

The two scenes come right after each other, what gives?

There's an error here for sure.

Also, on Twitter someone pointed out this error on page 84:

“It is us,” Lunamor sad.

1 hour ago, PeterAhlstrom said:

1. Fecundity is correct. It's talking about growing plants.

It seems odd, since she talks about the humidity being bad for books.  Plant life doesn't seem like it would matter in that context. So it seems odd that she'd be complaining about humidity, mention rampant plant growth, then switch back to humidity.

She set her things out at a reading desk near an open window. The humidity wasn’t good for books, but weak storms went hand-in-hand with fecundity. You simply had to accept that. Hopefully those new fabrials to draw water from the air would—

Edited by RShara

I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but Ben Olsen is listed twice as a member of Brandon's writing group:

...included Karen Ahlstrom, Peter Ahlstrom, Emily Sanderson, Eric James Stone, Darci Stone, Ben Olsen, Kaylynn ZoBell, Kathleen Dorsey Sanderson, Alan "Leyten from Bridge Four" Layton, Ethan "Skar from Bridge Four" Skarstedt, and Ben "Don't put me in Bridge Four" Olsen.

US hardcover, page 11 (emphasis added)

Edit: After looking at Acknowledgements sections from other books, it appears that one of them is supposed to be Ben Olson.

Edited by Carbonationspren

Not a typo exactly, but something I noticed when trying to piece together the timeline.

In The Way of Kings we are told a few times that Jasnah is 34 years old (chapters 3 and 36 I think). These events are sometime around 1173 month 9 (at the latest), which puts Jasnah's birthday prior to 1139 month 9.

Oathbringer chapter 3 takes place 34 years prior to 1174 month 1 and chapter 11 takes place 33 years prior to 1174 month 1. The text seems to suggest that, in between those dates, Gavilar got married and had Jasnah. If you assume both of those things happened immediately after chapter 3, that puts Jasnah's birthday around 1140 month 1 at the earliest. 

I know there's a little bit of leeway with the "X years ago" that we are given, but it sounds like we're stretching that pretty far in both directions if my interpretation here is correct. Text doesn't explicitly state when Jasnah was born, but I figured this was worth pointing out.

This might be intentional, but Nightblood seems to be referred to with masculine pronouns. After Nightblood almost "eats" Szeth and Lift, though, Lift refers to Nightblood with feminine pronouns:

The sword. So it was a spren? "You almost ate him," Lift said. "You almost starvin' ate me!"

Oh, I wouldn't do that, the voice said. She seemed completely baffled, voice growing slow, like she was drowsy. But... maybe I was just really, really hungry...

US hardcover, page 1140 (emphasis added)

This is not a typo but something I felt might be unintentional. In chapter 83 "Crimson to break", Adolin kills a number of Alethi soldiers, eg:

In the passion and beauty of dueling, he sometimes forgot how terrible a weapon Shardblades were. Here, as he rampaged among the faltering line, it was all too obvious. He killed eight men in a moment, and completely destroyed the defensive line.

(I'm not going to list all the instances as it's not necessarily, but there are multiple ones)

However, in chapter 120 "The Spear that would not Break", we have this:

He’d spent years fighting Parshendi. He didn’t think he’d actually killed another Alethi since . . . well, he couldn’t remember.

Sadeas. Don’t forget Sadeas.

I can understand him forgetting about events from before fighting the Parshendi because that's been many years. However, it seems rather out of character for Adolin to have forgotten events from a few weeks ago (chapter 83), particularly given how clear it was made that Adolin was thinking about the fact that he was killing people during chapter 83.

It is clear that immediately after the battle in Kholinar that Adolin is doing his "grieve later" thing so maybe he was suppressing the memory of him killing the soldiers as well... but it still felt a bit off for me when I re-read chapter 83 last night. So I thought it might be worth reporting, just in case.