The Subject of Hoid's Letter

MistbornAlpaca

Question

11 answers to this question

In the Way of Kings, it is from Hoid to a character named Frost, who appears in the unpublished book Dragonsteel. (If you look on Brandon's website, you can find some chapters from that book that were recently posted.) There is a letter in Words of Radiance, which is from Frost back to Hoid.

Now, Frost hasn't appeared anywhere else in the canon, and we only got the chapters released this month. But some of Brandon's early readers, from before he was published, have read it. And there is a single copy in the BYU library. So, some people figured who had read that book had figured out who it was (Frost is a dragon, and Hoid's letter calls the recipient an 'old reptile'), and they asked Brandon about it at signings. Which is how this character came to be public knowledge. But it's not something you'd be able to figure out just from reading the published stories.

10 minutes ago, Wreith said:

Yes, that is the one I was looking for.

I looked again and still don't see where the first thread you linked confirms it. Several people state it as fact, but no one provides a source.

I have no reason to believe it's Frost specifically,really. 

1. I have yet to read Dragonsteel. not that it makes a difference since it's not canon

2. Everyone seems to assume it's Frost, but no one ever gives satisfactory evidence. It's WoB where he didn't deny it was Frost when the name was used in the question or it's a question about dragons and such. I've seen nothing that points specifically to a certain individual. Doesn't mean it's not out there; just that people seem to be taking it for granted and no longer sourcing.

This one ought to be explicit enough. 

Questioner #1 (in Mistborn cosplay) (paraphrased)

I was wondering if we were ever going to see dragons in the Cosmere?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes, Dragonsteel, which is one of the first books that I wrote in the Cosmere has dragons. It's also just one of the weaker books, so I can't publish it as is, but yea. Being a big fan of dragons, I did write them into the Cosmere. They are the one kind of generic- kind of the standard fantasy race in there.

Questioner #2 (paraphrased)

Are they ever going to infiltrate the other worlds kind of?

Well Hoid writes a letter to one, he calls him you old reptile. And that's in Words of Radiance. So that's a letter to one of the dragons. So they are referenced.

Questioner #3 (paraphrased)

I thought that was a general insult.

Nope, he's actually writing to Frost, an old reptile.

We do know who. I'm not exactly sure who, but I am sure that I saw someone mention it somewhere on the Shard. I think the letters were between Hoid and Frost. But I am also pretty sure that the letters were Frost to Hoid. Hopefully someone will come along soon and correct me as needed!

Edited by podman36

31 minutes ago, Weltall said:

@Wreith This post might contain the WoB you're thinking of. We know he's from Yolen and Brandon has called him a non-worldhopper, which means he must still be there.

I was looking for the original one that let's us know canonically that he's from Yolen. I don't see it there or in the thread linked by that OP.

The actual question in the one I was looking for is "Are there still people on Yolen" and the response was something like "Hoid sent a letter to someone there, so yeah"

Eh, the one I linked to confirms he's from Yolen, it just requires connecting the dots. But I think this is the one you're looking for specifically

Question

During the events of Stormlight Archive, is Yolen still populated?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes... yes, I would say so since a letter is written to somebody on Yolen.

.Mind you, you still need other WoB to connect that to Frost specifically. Just the nature of our information sources on Yolen.

Edited by Weltall

5 minutes ago, Weltall said:

Eh, the one I linked to confirms he's from Yolen, it just requires connecting the dots. But I think this is the one you're looking for specifically

.Mind you, you still need other WoB to connect that to Frost specifically. Just the nature of our information sources on Yolen.

Yes, that is the one I was looking for.

I looked again and still don't see where the first thread you linked confirms it. Several people state it as fact, but no one provides a source.

I have no reason to believe it's Frost specifically,really. 

1. I have yet to read Dragonsteel. not that it makes a difference since it's not canon

2. Everyone seems to assume it's Frost, but no one ever gives satisfactory evidence. It's WoB where he didn't deny it was Frost when the name was used in the question or it's a question about dragons and such. I've seen nothing that points specifically to a certain individual. Doesn't mean it's not out there; just that people seem to be taking it for granted and no longer sourcing.