The Avatars of Shards

I just thought about Ego from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. He is a celestial (god with small g, at least when he feels humble) and is basically a planet. But he can also create an avatar that travels through space.

Could a Shard do the same? Create a body to send out into the Cosmere, to visit places and people? Preservation kind of had an avatar, but it never moved beyond Scadrial.

So, do you think this is possible?

22 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I just thought about Ego from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. He is a celestial (god with small g, at least when he feels humble) and is basically a planet. But he can also create an avatar that travels through space.

Could a Shard do the same? Create a body to send out into the Cosmere, to visit places and people? Preservation kind of had an avatar, but it never moved beyond Scadrial.

So, do you think this is possible?

Well, we've seen Sazed do this, but limited to the Scadrial area. I'm not sure vessels are able to move around like that unless they aren't Invested in a planet or system.

I want to say that within the Spiritual Realm, space/location/time aren't limits in the way we see them in the Cognitive and Physical Realms.  So, I imagine Vessels are able somehow to see and understand other places beyond their actual Invested Physical/Cognitive space.  I don't know if somehow they are able to communicate through the Spiritual Realm (i.e. quantum entanglement from the Mass Effect series or something), but that might be one way they could project to other places.

M:SH spoilers

When Kelsier is leaving Scadrial to find the Ire, Ruin tries to stop him by telling him it will be fruitless, but is unable to follow him. Preservation also states that he can't go where Kelsier does.

That said, the Ire mistake Kelsier for Ruin's Vessel, so take that as you will.

I'd say that the avatar's can only be present on their own planet.

@Rider of Storms isn't this because all of that happens completely in the CR, though? There location is important. It's probably still possible for a Shard to somehow gain knowledge of other worlds by visiting in the SR. That would explain Harmony's apparently vague knowledge of cosmere happenings despite being Invested on Scadrial.

12 hours ago, Catladyman said:

@Rider of Storms isn't this because all of that happens completely in the CR, though? There location is important. It's probably still possible for a Shard to somehow gain knowledge of other worlds by visiting in the SR. That would explain Harmony's apparently vague knowledge of cosmere happenings despite being Invested on Scadrial.

There is probably some shardic ability to see and understand other worlds with your awareness, yet not physically be there with your avatar. That's what I'm guessing at least.

13 hours ago, Catladyman said:

We know from WoB that Rashek learned enough from his brief time holding the Well's power to learn that Scadrial wasn't the only inhabited planet but he didn't have enough time with that power to really learn much. The implication is there that learning more was possible but that it requires time and effort. We also know from Secret History and (at least implied) Bands of Mourning that Shards can 'be' in multiple places at once, as Preservation/Harmony comforts the recently deceased.

A Shard gaining information via the Spiritual Realm about locations they aren't Invested in seems like it should be possible from Rashek's example but actually appearing in the Physical or Cognitive Realms and interacting with those places is probably only possible if the Shard isn't heavily Invested in a world, tying it down in those two Realms. Which links into Odium being effectively imprisioned in the Rosharan System and unable to directly influence other planets, since something is.keeping him there and preventing him from continuing his Shardic Murder Spree.

Edited by Weltall

On 10/11/2017 at 8:29 PM, Rider of Storms said:

M:SH spoilers

When Kelsier is leaving Scadrial to find the Ire, Ruin tries to stop him by telling him it will be fruitless, but is unable to follow him. Preservation also states that he can't go where Kelsier does.

That said, the Ire mistake Kelsier for Ruin's Vessel, so take that as you will.

I'd say that the avatar's can only be present on their own planet.

Kell's story is very much in the style of a trickster myth, especially the 'fooling the Ire' bit. Leaving that aside, by the time he decided to play the Ruin card, he'd already spooked them thoroughly.

• Chaos locked this topic