2017-11-13 [Oathbringer Release Party] Utah Valley Convention Center, Provo

Mason Wheeler

6 hours ago, Ace0003 said:

Chaos,

Great idea consolidating all of the OB info from the signing. Attached is my picture of the quote from Brandon. My question was, "Name a member of the 17th shard that we do not know is a member." His response was, "So... Iyatil was once in the 17th shard." Exciting! Any thoughts on who else could be or has been a member?

Was this actually from the release party?

...or not.  Not sure what happened, but the video came out terrible.  For the first three minutes, Brandon was walking around on-stage at super speed, and then it just froze entirely.  No idea what went wrong there, but something is badly broken and I don't think I can restore it.  The audio's fine, though.  I'll clean it up and post it soon.

I recorded everything if you want to check it out. I video recorded the speech that Brandon gave at the first about nostalgia, change and progression (which was very interesting and I enjoyed it). Then I audio recorded the Skyward reading as a separate file. You can find them on my Facebook page or on my You Tube account - search for Random Angst.

It was great to be there and to see everyone! I camped out and was able to snag book #55! 

Oathbringer-Justin_Isaac_Brandon.jpg

Edited by BLU3
wanted to add cool pic

Is there any places I should post the questions and answers I got besides here?

Spoiler

Q: why the oath spren didn't die like all the lesser spren when then their radiants broke their oaths. 

A: there's a lot about this in Oathbringer. 

Q: When using/unsheathing Nightblood do the breaths/stormlight used to power him add to his investor or is the investment expended to power him. 

A: there are people trying to figure this out right now in world. 

On 11/13/2017 at 0:48 PM, Mason Wheeler said:

BTW why is your photo upside-down?

I have no idea! @Argent can you fix it for me? I tried but I was not successful. 

I am not in Australia.  :D

All my photos on this site have been that way ever since I camped out with this phone in the freezing cold. 

@Mason Wheeler I totally saw you! But you were very busy and so I decided I best not interrupt. Looks like you have some serious equipment.

@john203 nice to have met you. My son loved your shirt! Where did you get it? Are there any available for purchase still? I’d love to get him one. 

I think that these photos are right side up! So nice to have met you all!! Maybe my phone is thawed out now!

@Zas678 @Peng the Just

2E84336F-8FAE-40B5-867B-0F90CBA0BCC6.jpeg

E8E3BFD3-2CE5-475E-9BBE-EFFF2DCACA52.jpeg

Edited by JoyBlu

20 minutes ago, Mason Wheeler said:

Aww, you should have come talk to me.  I saw a few different Navanis, but none of them were wearing a red scarf.

Yeah, I was so dang hot that I took off the scarf. My bad! I forget how quickly the room heats up when you have that many people in the room. 

Thanks for posting your Q & A’s. My son was recording our questions — but most of mine were RAFO’d and I’m not sure I can post the one about the sample chapters on this thread because it might be considered a spoiler.

(I did post it on this other thread and he confirmed it for me in line)

Brandon gave some insight into the eye color of Siri & Vivenna, when I had him sign my WarBreaker book. My daughter is reading it now and took it to school with her so I can’t take a photo of it but I’ll try to get it up here too. 

My son is almost done with Oathbringer. He will finish today. After he gets his homework done I’ll have him post our stuff. 

13 hours ago, BLU3 said:

Here's the video of the presentation and Q&A

I love your UserName @BLU3

Thanks for recording and posting the link!

Edited by JoyBlu

I recorded these WoBs in my Google doc during the VIP Q&A. I know more were asked but these are the ones I wrote down:

Q. If Lyft touched a “dead” Shardblade would her experience be different than other proto-Radiants/Radiants?

A. Yes. Slightly different. 

Q. Would you please expound on that?

A. No. [grin]

Q. Are city Oathgates only capable of teleporting to Uruthiru or can they send people to any of the other Oathgates? E.g. Can you travel directly from the Oathgate in Stormseat to the Oathgate in Kholinar?

A. For now, they are only to Uruthiru. 

I also asked three questions during the main signing. I confirmed that there have not been nine (9) Desolations. @Steeldancer, you might find that interesting. I also learned that Odium's main focus is on killing the other Shards but he does have a secondary interest in mortals. Finally, I learned that a Shard cannot "cut off" a magic user from their magic but could interfere in other ways. Pics below. 

IMG_20171114_212134.jpg

IMG_20171114_212107.jpg

IMG_20171114_212020.jpg

2 minutes ago, CaptainRyan said:

I recorded these WoBs in my Google doc during the VIP Q&A. I know more were asked but these are the ones I wrote down:

I also asked three questions during the main signing. I confirmed that there have not been nine (9) Desolations. @Steeldancer, you might find that interesting. I also learned that Odium's main focus is on killing the other Shards but he does have a secondary interest in mortals. Finally, I learned that a Shard cannot "cut off" a magic user from their magic but could interfere in other ways. Pics below. 

IMG_20171114_212134.jpg

IMG_20171114_212107.jpg

IMG_20171114_212020.jpg

My theory died anyway with an explanation of the Oathpact 

Well, there goes a huge chunk of my theory.

I caved and got the ebook today, while waiting for my order from Wellers.  So I'm playing catch up. And I'm forcing myself to not skip part 1 and read the whole thing in one linear sweep.  Which is not too bad.  Until I itch to go into the boards with the tempting titles...

Here's the Skyward audio. 

Mother always said that climbing to the surface of the planet required a person with a special mix of bravery and stupidity. Even at 5 I could see that she deliberately said that when Father was near. And I figured it probably took an extra special combination of bravery and stupidity to grin when she said it, then take your five year old daughter with you next time. Of course, I was completely grown up and utterly capable, as a five year old girl. I was sure of this as I hiked through the rubbled cavern after father, passing lines and lines of pointed rocks on the ground. What was that funny name they had? A lot of them were broken from the bombings and the meteorite impacts, things I had often felt down below as a rattling of dishware or a trembling of light fixtures. I imagined that the rock things were the broken bodies of my enemies. Bones shattered, broken arms reaching toward the sky in a useless gesture of total and utter defeat. I was a very weird little girl.

My light, a small sphere of molten energy, glowed with a deep and angry red glow, making the shadows seem to quiver and shake as I ran after Father. He looked back and smiled, and he had the best smile, so confident and sure, like he never worried about what people said about him, never worried that he was weird or didn't fit in. Of course, why should he? Everyone liked him. Like, everyone. Even people who hated things like ice cream and playing sword. Or even stupid, little whiny Rog McCaffrey (sp?), even they knew that Father was awesome.

He took me by the arm and pointed upward, "Next part is a little tricky, Spensa (sp?)." he said, "Let me lift you up." 

"I can do it." I said immediately, and shook off his arm. I was grown up, I even packed my own backpack and I left my doll, named Destroyer naturally, at home. Dolls were for babies, even if you'd fashioned your own full battle armor for them out of string and rope and pieces of (granite? Scranite? sp?). Now, I had brought my toy fighter ship of course, I wasn't crazy. What if we ended up getting caught in a Krell (sp?) and they bombed our (streets??) and we had to live out the rest of our lives as wasteland survivors, devoid of society or civilization? A girl needs her toy starfighter, just in case. I handed my backpack to Father and looked up at the crack in the stones above. The cavern seemed to end here and there was something about that hole up there, a light that didn't seem natural, wholly unlike the soft red magna (could be magma) light of our home cave of (I?)gneous. The surface, the sky. Things I had heard about my whole life, but had never seen. I grinned and started climbing, pulling myself up the steep slope toward the crack. My hands scraped the rock as I slipped, but I didn't cry. The daughters of starfighters did not cry. I gritted my teeth and kept climbing and climbing up the rocks. The crack wasn't that high up, but it looked like a hundred feet away to my eyes.  

I hated being so small, any day now I was gonna grow tall like my father, then for once I wouldn't be the smallest kid around. I'd be so tall that I'd laugh at them from up high and they'd be forced to admit how great I was. I growled softly as I reached the top of the rock and scrambled up. I was climbing something that was half rubble and half rock wall and the next knob that I needed to get to was just out of reach. I eyed it, then I jumped, determined, like a good defiant girl. I had the heart of a stardragon... and the body of a five-year old, so I missed by a good two feet. A strong hand seized me from behind before I could fall too hard. Father chuckled, holding me by the back of my jumpsuit, which I had painted with markers to look like his flight suit with a safety pin marking where he wore his pilot's pin. He pulled me back onto the rock beside him and reached out his hand and activated his (lightline?). He wore the device as a metal band, like a bracelet, but once he engaged it by tapping thumb and little finger, the band glowed with a bright molten light. He touched the stone up above, and when he drew his hand back it left a thick line of light, like a glowing rope attached to the rock. He stuck the other end to me, wrapping it around so it fit snug under my arms. I always thought that lightlines should be hot and burn to the touch, but they were always just snugly warm, like a hug. 

"Okay Spensa," he said, "Try it again."

"I don't need this." I said, plucking at the safety rope. 

"Humor a worried Father."

"Worried? You aren't worried of anything. You fight the Krell."

He laughed. "I'd rather face a hundred Krell ships than your mother when I bring you home with a broken arm, little one."

"I'm not little." I snapped, "If I break my arm, you can leave me here until I heal. I'll fight the beasts of the cavern to become feral and wear their skins-"

"Climb." He said, grinning. "You can fight the beasts of the cavern some other time. Though I think the ones you'll find will have long tails and buck teeth."   

I had to admit, having the lightline was helpful. I could pull against it to brace myself and if I fell, I'd only go a few feet. I was brave, but that still felt nice. We reached the crack and Father pushed me up first. I grabbed the lip of the rock and scrambled out the caverns for the first time of my life. It was so open, I gaped, just standing there looking up at...at nothing, just, just...upness. No ceiling, no walls. I'd imagined it as a really really big cavern. I was wrong. Wow. My father heaved himself up after me then dusted the dirt from his flight suit, his silvery pilot's pin twinkling and reflecting light from where he wore it on his breast. He always had to be ready to scramble to fight in case the Krell attacked. I glanced at him and then back at the sky and grinned widely. 

"Not frightened?" he asked.

I glared at him. 

"Sorry, wrong word. It's just a lot of people find the sky intimidating, Spensa. The first time they see it, they think it's wrong."

"It's beautiful." I whispered. "There's so much of it."

He knelt beside me. The sky was darker than I'd assumed but I guess that was the (Rubble Belt?). I'd been taught about it in lessons while I worked with the other kids testing screws on machine parts. Our planet (Tridus?) was protected and hidden by a trail of broken refuse that was way up high, even outside the air, out in space. It was left over from some great space battle a long time ago. I could see it, I thought, up there, a black haze like a really thick asteroid belt. Pieces frequently fell down and smashed to the ground, which was part of why it was so dangerous up here. The Krell were the other one of course, they came down through the debris sometimes, alien starfighters that would bomb the surface and search for humans. Father's job, with the others in his flight, was to be ready in case they found us. He had to fight them off, destroy them, to keep them from reporting back to the rest of the enemy. There were so many. They could completely wipe us out if they knew for certain that we were here. Only by hiding, and destroying the enemy squadrons that got close could we keep surviving. Everyone whispered that we were in trouble, that the enemy flights were coming more often, perhaps because of the suspicious disappearance of their scouting ships. I wasn't worried though, because Father would fight them all off. I just hoped that there would still be some left to fight when I got my own ship.

A bit of something flashed in the sky and I hoped to be able to see a Krell ship, but it was only a bit of debris falling and making a streak of light in the sky. It fell down, but didn't come near us, which was disappointing. Still, I squinted, trying to pick out where it had hit. I'd been so busy gaping at the sky I hadn't really looked at the ground around me. It was full of craters and broken chunks of rock. I kicked at the dusty ground which was dry and tough beneath my foot. The place was mostly just blue-grey gravel and dust shone on by some filtered light from behind the rubble belt. The sun was hidden back there, I knew like a super powerful, huge enormous version of the magma sphere I used for light. The piece of debris burned up before it hit the ground.

"Where's (Alta?) Base?" I said to Father. "Is that it?" 

I pointed toward some suspicious rocks. 

"It's that. I want to go see the starfighters."

Father leaned down and turned me about 90 degrees and pointed.

"It's over there."

"Where? I can't see it!" 

"That's the point Spensa."

He looked upward.

"No children are allowed in the hangar, you know that. I'll take you when you're old enough."

"I'm going to have my own ship." I said. "I'm going to fly it just like you, then nobody will be able to make fun of me, because I'll be famous."

"Is that why you want to be a pilot?"

"They can't say you're too small when you're a pilot." I said. "Nobody will think I'm weird, and I won't get into trouble for fighting because my job will be fighting. They won't call me names and everyone will love me."

That made Father hug me for some stupid reason, even though I was only saying stuff that was true. But, I hugged him back, because parents like things like that. Besides, it did feel good to have someone to hold. Maybe I shouldn't have left the Destroyer behind. Father's breath caught, and I thought he might be crying or something but it wasn't that. 

"Spensa," he said, turning me. "Look!"

He pointed to the sky and again I was struck by it, it was so big. Father was pointing at something specific. I squinted, noting that a section of the dark, debris field was lighter. No, it was missing. A hole in the sky? In that moment I looked out into infinity. I found myself trembling, like a billion meteors had hit nearby. 

"What are those lights?" I whispered. 

"Stars." he said. "We used to live out there, to fly up near the debris, beyond it even, but I've almost never seen through it. There are too many layers and it's too thick. Once in a while you get a glimpse though."

There was an awe in his voice as he said it, a tone I don't think I had ever heard from him before. 

"Is that why you fly?" I asked. 

Father didn't seem to care about the praise that everyone gave him. Strangely, he always seemed embarrassed of it and talked of just wanting to get back into his ship. Wasn't that the point of becoming a pilot? Stupid Rog McCaffrey said it was. Father pointed again, drawing my attention back to the hole in the sky. 

"Drink it in." He whispered. "See it. Our real home, that's where we belong. Not in those caverns. The kids who make fun of you are trapped on this rock. Their heads are the heads of rock and their hearts are set upon rock. Be different. Set your sights on something higher, something more grand."

The debris shifted and the hole shrank until all I could see was a single star, brighter than the others. 

"Claim the stars, Spensa." he said. 

The debris finally got rid of the hole, closing off our view of space. Near to the hole, another piece of debris fell, burning brightly in the sky. Then another fell, then dozens. Father gasped and was reaching for his personal radio, a super advanced piece of technology that was only given to pilots. He lifted the blocky device to his mouth, but sound started coming out of it before he could talk.

"Large Krell breach sighted." A voice came through the radio. "Emergency! An extremely large group of fighters has reached the debris field. All fighters report in."

There was a pause. 

"Sky help us, they're heading straight towards Alta Base! They found us!"

Father lowered his radio and looked at me. 

"Let's get you back." 

"They need you!" I said, refusing to budge. "You've got to go fight!" 

"I have to take you."

"I can get back myself. It was a straight trip through the cavern, except that last turn. I'll get home." 

He debated, glancing back toward the debris, a sign that the Krell had blasted a hole in the debris to get their starfighters down through. The radio crackled again. I got a chill listening to it. Here, the radio was a rare treat, usually limited to sitting in the cavern square and listening to broadcasts with hundreds of others. 

"Chaser." A voice said over the radio. "Chaser, you there?" 

"Mongrel?" Father said, flipping a different switch. "I'm here up on the surface."

"On the surface? Did you hear the call?"

"I did."

"Hot rocks, this is a big one." Mongrel said. "I'm heading to the elevator. You're not going to beat me to the sky are you?" 

The man sounded eager, maybe a little too excited to be heading into battle. I liked him immediately. Father debated only a moment before pulling off his bracelet lightline and stuffing it into my hands. 

"Promise you go back straight away."

"I promise."

"Don't dally."

"I won't."

He raised his radio. "Mongrel, radio the flight command and tell them I'm running for Alta base. I can probably join the first flight."

He dashed across the dusty ground in the direction he pointed out earlier. He stopped, however, and turned back toward me then pulled of his pin and tossed it, like a glittlering fragment of light itself, to me. I caught it. Then he was off, running, occasionally sliding down the slope to reach the hidden base. I, of course, immediately broke my promise. I climbed back into the crack to make him think I was obeying, but then hid there until I saw the starfighters leave the section of rock below and streak toward the sky. I squinted and picked out the dark Krell ships swarming down. Finally, showing a rare bout of good judgement, I decided I had better do what Father had told me. I used the lightline to lower myself back into the cavern, where I recovered my backpack and headed off down into the tunnels. I figured if I hurried, I'd get back in time to listen to the broadcast of the fight, with the announcer explaining what was happening. I was wrong though, as the hike was longer than I remembered. I did manage to get lost, despite it being a relatively straight path. So I was wandering down there, imagining the glory of some awesome battle happening above, when my father famously broke ranks and fled from the enemy. His own flight of ships shot him down in retribution. By the time I got back, the battle had been won, but my father was dead and I had been branded the daughter of a coward. 

1 hour ago, Mason Wheeler said:

@CaptainRyan Why did you ask if there were 9 Desolations?  Vorinism holds that there were 100 of them (or was it 99?), and even if that's not precise, it still implies that there were a lot more than a single-digit number.

I'm about to head out so I don't have time to hunt it down (my wife just literally said "You ready?") but I believe there is a WoB saying that 99 is grossly exaggerated. I was trying to confirm/deny a theory @Steeldancer was working on and that I liked. 

Edit: She went to the bathroom. Here is the link to the WoB: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/97-idaho-falls-signing/#e2728

Edited by CaptainRyan