[OB] What is up with Mraize and Ialai?

I think they're just links in each others spy networks. Trading information and favors. She's not a Ghostblood, but she's aware of them. 

I wonder what she gave Mraize for his help here?

Edit: option 1. I posted an option 2 further in the thread. 

Edited by Calderis

Of the relatively little we have seen of and about Ialai, not a single thing suggests she would make a good patsy.  I think she is either using the Ghostbloods, has some arrangement with them, or is one of them herself.

That arrangement may be lopsided and/or they are playing a longer game than she is, but a person like Ialai doesn't just happen to find herself in council with someone like Mraize.

Alright, since we already have a thread here.

I think, that the copy-cat murders are not something supernatural, but actually a personal vendetta by Ialai. With help of the Ghostbloods

Ialai is pissed. And she seems to be in league with the Ghostbloods. This does not bode well.

First of all, I think, that, due to Adolin's open hostility towards her husband, she already suspects him. She obviously suspects the Kholins and probably just wants to get back at Dalinar. So, she doesn't care if Adolin really is guilty. She just wants to make the Kholins suffer. Alas, she has no proof. But she doesn't need it. She just has to pressure Adolin into confessing. And even if Adolin wouldn't confess, serial killings certainly won't help maintaining order in Urithiru.

It wouldn't be too far-fetched, that Ialai has some contacts in the secret societies. It kinda is her specialty. Working in the dark. Spying, assassinations etc. She simply asked the GBs for help. Maybe called in a favor.

It would not be good, if Ialai would have kept killing random people in the same way her husband died. Do it once, yes, but after that wait for "natural" murders to occur (which are bound to happen in crisis situations) and copy them. Why? Simple, everyone knows, that Ialai Sadeas is a snake and capable of dishing out petty revenge. Keep killing people in the same manner, that her husband died and she would attract attention, regardless of being the grieving widow.

But! Create "coincidences", create a mystery. And you can keep playing the grieving widow to complete your perfect alibi. Copy the first murder to send a reminder to the suspected killer (Adolin) and keep going by copying other "natural" occuring murders. Ialai knows Adolin. She knows which buttons she has to press to make him break - by making him responsible (in his mind) for the death of innocents. He's just a too noble soul.

I think, that Ialai needing to be "convinced" for a meeting was just a stalling tactic. She needed to have something to show to Adolin, that she means business. So, she and Mraize wait for another murder to occur and copy it. It happens and they call the meeting, in which she simply tells Adolin: "Those copy-cat murders? That was us. Oh, and we'll keep going. Unless you confess."

So, Adolin might be inclined to just out Ialai and say that she confessed the copy murders to him. But who would believe him? 1. She has no motive. 2. She's grieving. Pity can be a greaaaat alibi.

Edited by SLNC

2 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

That is a nice crackpot. Wouldn't Gavilar have referred to Thaidakar as Ialai in that case though?

Unless he didn't know. I mean, do we know Mraize's real name?

Edited by Salkara
Past tense... Gavilar is no more.

21 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Nope. Mraize is so cool a name that I hope we never do. It would be lame to learn that Mraize is in reality named Bob or something like that...

Clearly Mraize is Ned. And survived being dropped from a cliff.

Edited by Govir
Ted -> Ned

I'm really curious what Mraize's goal is here. What's he hunting? Or is he only there because Ialai asked him to for some reason? Does he have any particular powers that would help determine something?

Here's a crazy idea: Ialai is Iyatil. Random reminder that Iyatil wants revenge on Amaram, which suddenly feels rather odd here.

Here's less crazy idea: Mraize has Oathbringer.

Gah... just thinking about what could happen makes my mind explode.

Even worse - while reading the chapter I noticed that we were getting close to the end and I had wondered if there'd be some cliffhanger and in an earlier post I had suggested Mraize might be contacting Shallan soon... and it never occurred to me that he might be there. Sanderson...!!

Mraize is likely on top of Ialai. Its doubtful Ialai knows his full significance. It does however seem doubtful Mraize will take a full stance against the Kholins, at least not yet. He did offer for Shallan to be the KR and for Veil to be the GB, saying those things weren't necesarily opposites. Considering Shallan hasn't given an answer yet, I doubt Mraize would go against his words at the end of WoR, and force Shallan's two personas against each other. At the moment everyone knows if pressed Shallan will pick the Radiants.

Of course, just because Mraize may not (yet) take a full stance against the Kholins and by extension Shallan, doesn't mean he can't apply a bit of pressure.

1 hour ago, SLNC said:

But nah, it gets even better. So, Veil used the GB symbol the night before. I wouldn't be surprised, that Mraize already knows this. And that she was asking for those murders... obviously on Adolin's behalf for everyone having knowledge about what happened to Vedekar Perel and having knowledge, that Adolin was appointed as an investigator. How could he know this? Well, Adolin openly asked Ialai for a meeting. She has to know and thus Mraize also knows. And since Mraize knows, that Veil actually is Shallan and Shallan is betrothed to Adolin, Veil/Shallan unwittingly revealed her true loyalty the night before. That she is loyal to the Kholins. Mraize has no need for her anymore, now knowing that she'll never be a true loyal Ghostblood... But he has her brothers. Which will make a wonderful additional lever on Adolin through his relationship with Shallan.

First off, sorry for attacking your theories today. Its nothing personal :lol: But I really don´t agree with this quote. I don´t think Mraize would draw that conclusion this quickly. He hasn´t even talked to Shallan about Helaran and the goal of the Ghostbloods yet. And she is a KR, which means that she is valueable. Mraize will not want to lose her, and so he will tread carefully. It would be stupid of him to assume that she will never be a loyal Ghostblood, when she still has no idea about what the organization is trying to achieve. And we can probably call Mraize a lot of things, but stupid really isn´t one of them.

3 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

But I really don´t agree with this quote. I don´t think Mraize would draw that conclusion this quickly. He hasn´t even talked to Shallan about Helaran and the goal of the Ghostbloods yet. And she is a KR, which means that she is valueable. Mraize will not want to lose her, and so he will tread carefully. It would be stupid of him to assume that she will never be a loyal Ghostblood, when she still has no idea about what the organization is trying to achieve. And we can probably call Mraize a lot of things, but stupid really isn´t one of them.

Yeah, that would have worked, if she would have kept Veil as her sole Ghostblood persona. Now she has used it to help Adolin, which, combined with their betrothal, could set off some red flags for Mraize. Loyalty is incredibly important, when dealing in secret societies. Any sign of future disloyalty really lets her value for Mraize plummet - Radiant or not.

Ohh, here is another crackpot theory. 

• Amaram made a play with Ialai for highprince. 
  • Mraize moved in to counter that, either openly or more subtly
  • He just happened to be there, and Ialai asked him to stick around till after her meeting with Adolin

I admit that the idea that these four met by accident when it was just meant to be Adolin and Ialai is hilarious :D. Albeit unlikely. 

Just now, SLNC said:

Yeah, that would have worked, if she would have kept Veil as her sole Ghostblood persona. Now she has used it to help Adolin, which, combined with their betrothal, could set off some red flags for Mraize. Loyalty is incredibly important, when dealing in secret societies. Any sign of future disloyalty really lets her value for Mraize plummet - Radiant or not.

I doubt he will take any drastic actions against her until he has gotten time to show her why she should be loyal. He knows that she has little reason now, and that she dislikes them because of the attempted murder of Jasnah. He saved her brothers to show his good will, and he offered her truth and information. I doubt he will react to this show of disloyalty, since there is no real reason for her to be loyal yet, and he knows it.

5 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

He saved her brothers to show his good will

Yeah, right. Out of sheer goodwill. Mraize. It is a device for leverage. Nothing else.

It all depends on if he plays that card yet. Or if he decides to just give the card to Ialai for another favor or two.

Edited by SLNC