During the Arcanum Unbounded short story The Eleventh Metal, right after the fight between kelsier and shezler, Gemmel walks over and:

"Carefully and meticulously selected a fork from the fallen tools and other scattered laboratory remains. He smiled and chuckled to himself. 'Now that is a fork.' He shoved it into his pocket." 

Earlier gemmel tells kelsier that their goal for the evening was in the basement. While we interpret this via kelsier to mean that the goal was to fight a mistborn for his training. But i think that was just a side benefit for the evening and that gemmel's true goal was to get this fork. 

We know that shezler is attempting to snap these skaa and manifest more allomantic abilities through beatings and torture. Is it possible that this fork is a makeshift torture implement that is tearing off bits of investiture and gaining charge? 

I believe there is a WoB or theory talking about how gemmel may have been muttering and conversing with ruin because of some embedded shrapnel or just his madness allowing ruin to communicate with him. If this fork did have hemalurgic properties to it, then it may have been a powerful tool in the hands of an agent of ruin. Perhaps in the next mistborn novels we will encounter someone who gained abilities from the fork of power!! 

Discuss. 

Edited by Head Crabs

My first thought when I read that was that it didn't make any sense for a random eating utensil to be among the "delicate instruments" of the laboratory.

In my head, i rejected that image in favor of it actually being a tuning fork.

How that relates to metallurgy or what Gemmel would want with one, I have no idea. It just seemed to make more sense to me at the time.

In typing this post, it occurs to me that a tuning fork could be used to test hearing, say if some of the experiments being done involved tin, but I feel like i'm stretching...

Mistborn Secret History spoilers here:

Spoiler

My understanding of it was, actually, like what Preservation told Kelsier : Ruin manipulated Gemmel into guiding Kelsier towards first hints of existence of additional metals (11th Metal in this case). This was Ruin's plot to make the TLR go down.That was this 'important thing' to be found in the basement. Even though the 11th Metal itself did not do the job, it lead Kelsie to start a major rebellion, recruiting Vin, and eventually, well, killing Rashek. I consider this a huge Ruin's success. It was brilliant.

Gemmel just picked up the fork cause he was crazy, no additional reasoning behind it. 

I agree, that was a main motivating factor in ruin/gemmel guiding kelsier to that basement. But i think there was quite a lot of important goings on that evening! 

Some practice fighting a mistborn, the beginnings of the plan to overthrow the Lord Ruler, and a magical fork of unknown composition full of hemalurgic charge!