Typos thread [Hero of Ages spoilers]

PeterAhlstrom

I'm starting my readthrough of Hero of Ages so I can mark stuff to fix for the leatherbound. Please let me know here if you spot anything.

Here are a few things I know about. I also need to take another look at the math in a few places.

On page 642 of the mass market it says "Vaster" instead of "Faster".

Adonalsium being spelled Adonasium in some editions

Cazzi vs Canzi

Statlin vs Satren

TenSoon "atop the hill before the field of lava that barred his path eastward." should be westward.

Chapter 38, YA TPB, pages 355/356, no scene break delimiter. With other scenes that go across an odd-to-even page, there’s a series of asterisks. Example: Pages 377/378.

Chapter 52. YA TPB and MMPB, first sentence. "Lord ruler” should be "Lord Ruler". In the HC, it's LORD RULER as part of the beginning-of-chapter formatting, which is probably where the error came from.

Not sure if you already fixed the issue of Bennet/Bennett, but:

Final Empire Chapter 29

Sazed smiled deeply, walking into the room. “Of course, Master Kelsier. Lately, I’ve been thinking that you should hear about the Truths of the Bennet. They fit you quite well, I think. The Bennet were a highly developed people who lived on the southern islands. They were brave seafarers and brilliant cartographers; some of the maps the Final Empire still uses were developed by Bennet explorers.

“Their religion was designed to be practiced aboard ships that were away at sea for months at a time. The captain was also their minister, and no man was allowed to command unless he had received theological training.”

“Probably weren’t very many mutinies.”

Sazed smiled. “It was a good religion, Master Kelsier. It focused on discovery and knowledge—to these people, the making of maps was a reverent duty. They believed that once all of the world was known, understood, and catalogued, men would finally find peace and harmony. Many religions teach such ideals, but few actually managed to practice them as well as the Bennet.”

Hero of Ages Chapter 82

There had been a people called the Bennett. They had considered mapmaking to be a solemn duty; Sazed had once preached their religion to Kelsier himself. From their detailed maps and charts, Sazed discovered how the world had once looked. He used his powers to restore the continents and oceans, the islands and coastlines, the mountains and rivers.

I think I have a few more, I'll keep looking.

Not sure if this was already fixed, but Brandon mentioned a while back that he made a mistake by calling "Bilg" (the soldier who fights Demoux in the caves in Book 1) "Brill" in Book 3. Brandon said: "Oops. Since that makes it pretty much impossible to spot the cameo, I may get that changed in a reprint."

Chapter 47. Very minor cameo, and not necessarily a mistake in-universe.

The Death of Bilg

You may not recognize a cameo appearance by Bilg in this chapter. He was the soldier who punched Demoux. Who is Bilg? Well, if you go read book one, you’ll find a scene where Kelsier visits the caves where his army is training. He picks a soldier out of the crowd to champion him and has the man fight a duel with one of the army’s dissident members. Kelsier helped his champion by using Allomancy to interfere with the fight.

The champion? Captain Demoux. The dissident troublemaker he fought? A guy named Bilg. (Perhaps you can see why Bilg would bear a grudge against Demoux.) In the original draft of book one, Bilg died in that fight. However, readers reacted harshly against Kelsier killing a man to make a point. So, I backed off and had Bilg live and become a follower of Kelsier.

I’ve always felt that he should have died, though. So, in this book, he makes trouble again, fights Demoux again, and this time finally gets what he deserves. The only problem is that Elend gets his name wrong here and calls him Brill instead. Oops. Since that makes it pretty much impossible to spot the cameo, I may get that changed in a reprint.

Edited by C. M. Hayden

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was re-reading the other day and got completely lost in this one section, because I couldn't tell what was a typo and what wasn't.

The first on I am pretty positive is a typo:

Page 633- "An Inquisitor landed against the spike she was aiming for."

In the previous paragraph, it was made pretty clear that she was aiming for a spire.

The next page is the one that really stuck out to me:

Page 634- "They hit one of the lower spikes, the metal piercing the surprised Inquisitor’s chest. Vin wrenched herself to the side, out of the way, but hung on to his head, her weight pulling him down the spire. She didn’t look as the spike ripped through his body, but when she hit the ground below, she was holding only a head. A disembodied spike splashed into an ashen puddle beside her, and she dropped the dead creature’s head beside it."

I think the first two "spikes" are supposed to be spires. I am pretty sure that the third one is an actual spike, but I'm not positive. I guess in theory you could call a spire a spike, but it is confusing to be switching back and forth in the same paragraph, especially when spike is used in its more normal sense in the last sentence.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but there are some variations in Allrianne's age between books. In "The Well of Ascension" chapter 36, when she barges in on Clubs and Breeze, she says "I'm eighteen, not ten". However, in "The Hero of Ages", chapter 10, Sazed says that her dress "made her look younger than her twenty-something years" when she was approaching His and Breeze's delegation. However, this being only a year after the previous story is set, wouldn't she only be 19? Also explainable if Sazed is just guessing at her age, but it seems like something he would know. 

Also, in chapter 3 of "The Hero of Ages", Vin refers to herself as "The Final Empire's knife", then in chapter 21 she says that "She belonged to the New Empire. She had been it's knife". It seems that the reference in chapter 3 should also be to Elend's new government, not to the Lord Ruler's.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

It's not a typo so to speak, but there are a lot of "try and"s instead of "try to"s in the first era of Mistborn (like in Elantris). Even the narrator uses "try and", so it can't always be chalked up to a character's speech in an informal setting (and pretty much every character says it anyway, including well spoken ones like Elend or Breeze). There are far fewer instances in era 2 and Stormlight, so I guess you're all aware of it.

• 2 years later...
On 10/9/2017 at 4:58 PM, PeterAhlstrom said:

On page 642 of the mass market it says "Vaster" instead of "Faster".

I'm fairly certain that it's meant to be "Vaster," as in larger or wider.

One that I noticed is on page 412. Spook says, "What I'm trying figure out is why you feel it." Leaving out the "to."

• 2 months later...