After-Affects of Atium

Cosmosis

Question

When Elend used duralumin and Atium together at the end of HoA he saw Preservation's great plan and what it would accomplish. He was only able to comprehend this because Atium speeds up your thoughts or comprehension so you can understand or react quicker to what you see. 

So, If a Mistborn burned duralumin and atium and saw far in the future, I'm wondering if when they stopped burning Atium they would forget most of what they have seen because they no longer have increased comprehension or faster thinking.

Elend probably didn't have time to forget what he saw because he was killed immediately after using the Atum and Duralumin, but would anyone else just forget the vast amount of knowledge they have just gained about the future?

Edited by etatkaboom

6 answers to this question

2 hours ago, etatkaboom said:

but would anyone else just forget the vast amount of knowledge they have just gained about the future?

Elend peered into the Spiritual Realm by burning Atium+Duralumin. This distinction gives us three possibilities:

1. He saw a great many things in the SR, and only remembered some of it(in this case, Preservation's plan)
  2. He only saw a small portion of events(Preservation's plan), and as such didn't have need to forget things to prevent mental overflow.
  3. Peering into the SR expanded his mind(the way ascension does) so that he could process all that extra information. I don't think TLR just suddenly forgot most of the things he learned during his ascension, so it stands to reason that Elend might not.

On 10/8/2017 at 5:51 PM, The One Who Connects said:

Peering into the SR expanded his mind(the way ascension does) so that he could process all that extra information. I don't think TLR just suddenly forgot most of the things he learned during his ascension, so it stands to reason that Elend might not.

I am fairly certain this is correct, because TLR definitely remembered what he had learned during his assention (otherwise the existence of Kandra, etc, would be very surprising to him)  and his mind was probably greater than the average person’s because he was able to keep a large empire running smoothly.

8 hours ago, Ookla the maladroit said:

he had learned during his ascension (otherwise the existence of Kandra, etc, would be very surprising to him)

I get your point, but he learned about Kandra/Koloss/Inquisitors from Ruin. I still agree with you, since Ruin whispered those secrets to TLR while he was ascended and he still remembered it, but details are important. :)

That is a very good point, I didn't consider that he was a feruchemist in this question, but if just a normal Mistborn burned Duralumin and Atium together, I think they would retain a lot of the information the gained but would still be missing large chunks.