NoVa/DC WoR Signing - March 20th

eojsmada

The signing tonight was tons of fun, and I was super pumped to meet Brandon Sanderson !  I also figured, why not share the tiny nugget he shared with me instead of hoarding it and sitting on it for all eternity, so I made an account and here I am.

Me: In what ways is the process of becoming an allomantic savant like body building or other exercise?

Brandon: [Paraphrasing] That is not an inapt metaphor for it.  It's like a wedge gets in the soul and cracks it, and investiture can fill it up.

Me: And using allomancy breaks it further?

Brandon: Yes

Me: Do other magic systems in the Cosmere function in a similar way?

Brandon: Yes

Me: Which ones?  Will we see them soon?

Brandon: I'm going to have to RAFO that.

And he also gave me this as a sweet custom dedication:

OpOb4OB.jpg

So it's official, I'm a dead Mistborn :D Hooray!

I was there and I managed to record the general Q&A as well as the Reading if anyone wants to get around to transcribing. Otherwise, enjoy the listen. (You may have to turn your volume down - I was in the front row right next to the speaker)

General Q&A

Reading

Big thing at ~23: The continent "drifts" as it's weathered on the East and Cremmed in the West, "over millennia".

Big thing at ~23: The continent "drifts" as it's weathered on the East and Cremmed in the West, "over millennia".

I was excited to hear this.  He also mentions that each book of Stormlight Archive will focus on a different person representing a different order of the Knights Radiant.  I had not heard or seen anything about that before (specifically the order of the KR bit).  Since Eoshani gets a book, does that mean she is/will become a Knight Radiant?  That seemed pretty huge to me, but maybe it was just unguarded wording?  Maybe it is the Odium-counterpart order?

I wanted to ask about that but was pretty sure it would get RAFOed (and he was out of cards). Instead I asked whether Kaladin can wear shardplate as of the end of WoR (answer: it would affect him like it affects Szeth, so not a good idea), and whether there's any point in trying to figure out who has that Blade everybody's wondering about (answer: not really, no. At this point there just aren't enough clues to do more than guess). The second one in particular is nice to know.

Interesting about the drifting Roshar. Makes sense, of course. Maybe what is now the Origin used to be on the actual land, somewhere to the east. Could Stormseat be where Honor was Splintered?

The Honorblade... Good to know we don't need to bang our heads, but I suspect somebody in Kholinar snatched it before Bordin got to it. Maybe someone in the queen's court...

Edited by Argent

Forgot to mention that the reading he did, from tonight, was an unpublished story where the magic system comprised of super powers being gained from various diseases, which were incubated continuously. Cosmere-based work.

That would be Silence Divine, takes place on the Shardworld Ashyn in the same solar system as Roshar.

Was at the signing tonight (my first), and it was really awesome.  My wife knitted him a "Writing Spren" and he was super happy to receive it.

10001379_10153958688405472_1838804884_n.

Knitted spren?!?! What an awesome idea! I guess I know what I'll be trying to work on this weekend! Now what sort of spren do I want...hmmm...

I was excited to hear this.  He also mentions that each book of Stormlight Archive will focus on a different person representing a different order of the Knights Radiant.  I had not heard or seen anything about that before (specifically the order of the KR bit).  Since Eoshani gets a book, does that mean she is/will become a Knight Radiant?  That seemed pretty huge to me, but maybe it was just unguarded wording?  Maybe it is the Odium-counterpart order?

Actually i believe he said that there will be a viewpoint for a character of each order, i don't think this means that we will get a flashback for a character of each order.

Edit: i will need to relisten tomorrow, i gotta go to work soon and my phone's connection sucks at work.

Edited by Grayv

He was talking about how each book has flashbacks for a different character. I can't remember the exact words, but the the idea was that each book "belongs" to a certain character - Kaladin has Way of Kings, Shallan has WoR, Szeth has Stones Unhallowed/Skybreaker/whatever (he was pretty insistent that it would be Stones Unhallowed, though), and so on. The way he put it was that when you think back to a particular book, it would be clearly identified with one particular character and the associated order of Radiants so that no two would blend together.

Edited by Shale

Knitted spren?!?! What an awesome idea! I guess I know what I'll be trying to work on this weekend! Now what sort of spren do I want...hmmm...

Are we missing out on potential merchandising? Spren plushies need to happen.

Edit: my fat fingers bumped the post button before I was finished.

Edited by CorwinofAmber

I was permitted to set my IPod on the table during the individual questions.  It has about 2 hours of audio.  I am gona try to upload it later when I'm not so busy.  I had a great time. I was the fellow with the green bridge 4 Horneater Stew Tshirt.  I had to cut it short cause I had a 4 hour drive back to Norfolk.  The line was prolly gonna take another hour.  I had some great Cosmere conversations with other sharders, and spread the word about the sight to a few noobies who were only partially aware of Inter-Cosmere connections but seemed interested to find out more...  I also got a Szeth code I'm about to redeem. YAY for SWAG!

I am the one who asked about Hoid and Breaths.  I also asked for a 'Random Hint'  from Brandon, which he wracked his brain for a moment, before writing 'He's dead' in my book.

There's no context for this hint, I'm not even sure it's a SA hint, but it probably is, based on the context of the signing.