Odium escapes Rosharan system after SA 5

Walin

I just realized, after reading the thread about Miles' death and the RAFO of whether it was a death rattle, that Odium may have jumped to Scadrial and Harmony is holding him back.

Wax's conversation with Harmony and the mention of the red miasma sounds like Trell, and is either Taln's Scar attempting to expand... or Odium.

Also, that could be a suitable ending for Stormlight 5, because it's the *Final* Desolation, before Odium leaves Roshar for good (evil, I mean). The back 5 would be about trying to unSplinter Honor. I hope this topic doesn't end up like my "Harm mores" theory which was disproven explicitly in the text itself.

My problem with Odium being Trell is that Sanderson will have to write about Trell in such a way that we don't know it is Odium, otherwise he spoils book 5 of SA. Basically the identity of Trell will remain a mystery until Mistborn Era 3. Definitely possible, but this fact, combined with the whole "Someone else moves us lawman" makes me think Autonomy is more likely.

Do we know what Taln's Scar is?

It could be some Shards and conglomerating their power in order to splinter the others (or free Odium). That seems very plausible to me because we already know that there's some implied alliance between at least Autonomy and Odium(as stated in the shard number thread). This means that there could be a plot to free Odium as part of the war among the Shards. We already know that Honor's friends are trying to unsplinter him.

Also, the theory of Autonomy = Trell is really interesting too because his servants are always talking about 'being free' from the constraints in Harmony. 

1 minute ago, john203 said:

??

"The back 5 would be about trying to unSplinter Honor. I hope this topic doesn't end up like my "Harm mores" theory which was disproven explicitly in the text itself."

From OP, I should have said we're assuming they want to unSplinter Honor.

16 hours ago, heroofpages said:

My problem with Odium being Trell is that Sanderson will have to write about Trell in such a way that we don't know it is Odium, otherwise he spoils book 5 of SA. Basically the identity of Trell will remain a mystery until Mistborn Era 3. Definitely possible, but this fact, combined with the whole "Someone else moves us lawman" makes me think Autonomy is more likely.

I wouldn't necessarily say this spoils the ending of SA. I assumed the red miasma was Odium. I know that he has shattered shards before. I know that Odium is frightened of Harmony. It just stands to reason Odium would make a move against him. While the shard itself is trapped in the Roshar system That doesn't mean he can't still reach out. Perhaps the red miasma is Odium simply posturing. Puffing his chest out. Sort of a "I'm coming to get you next." sort of thing. He's a dog on a chain barking his head off. He can't do anything now. But he's letting himself known to the other shards. Maybe he'll escape at the end of SA 5 or maybe he will be trapped until the end of SA 10. Regardless I think he will get out eventually as Mistborn era 4's big bad guy.  

Edited by theuntaintedchild

On 10/6/2017 at 8:41 PM, Walin said:

I just realized, after reading the thread about Miles' death and the RAFO of whether it was a death rattle, that Odium may have jumped to Scadrial and Harmony is holding him back.

Wax's conversation with Harmony and the mention of the red miasma sounds like Trell, and is either Taln's Scar attempting to expand... or Odium.

Also, that could be a suitable ending for Stormlight 5, because it's the *Final* Desolation, before Odium leaves Roshar for good (evil, I mean). The back 5 would be about trying to unSplinter Honor. I hope this topic doesn't end up like my "Harm mores" theory which was disproven explicitly in the text itself.

2 hours ago, theuntaintedchild said:

I wouldn't necessarily say this spoils the ending of SA. I assumed the red miasma was Odium. I know that he has shattered shards before. I know that Odium is frightened of Harmony. It just stands to reason Odium would make a move against him. While the shard itself is trapped in the Roshar system That doesn't mean he can't still reach out. Perhaps the red miasma is Odium simply posturing. Puffing his chest out. Sort of a "I'm coming to get you next." sort of thing. He's a dog on a chain barking his head off. He can't do anything now. But he's letting himself known to the other shards. Maybe he'll escape at the end of SA 5 or maybe he will be trapped until the end of SA 10. Regardless I think he will get out eventually as Mistborn era 4's big bad guy.  

As interesting as it would be for Odium to leave Roshar, I believe the only way that would happen would be once he's completely annihilated it. I wouldn't be too surprised if Roshar was completely destroyed by book 5, but I doubt it. Also, I doubt that Taln's Scar can be Odium since you can see it from Roshar and Scadrial. It's obviously something far away from both of them. And red I still not just Odium's color, from what I remember, there was either theorizing of a WoB ,pthat said that red is the sign of Investiture from two different shards corrupting. @Calderis @Extesian Wanna help me out?

@StrikerEZ Black was "corrupted" investiture.

Red is just a "specific phenomenon" not associated with a particular shard. Which applies to colors in general. 

I can't find anything about the rip specifically at the moment that isn't a RAFO. But here's one on red eyes specifically to make a lot of people's predictions of Trell as Odium a little less likely. 

Lirins hand

Are all the red-eyed characters influenced by the same Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

No. Good question! I was waiting for someone to ask that. You will come to learn what red means in the Cosmere. There is a meaning for red in the Cosmere.

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/56664-2016-12-01-arcanum-unbounded-university-bookstore-seattle-wa/?page=2#

This is probably where you got the read as corrupt/co-opted idea, because the reporter for that WoB made the assumption in the post that they shared it. We have other WoBs linking the black to that effect though, which lead directly into Nightblood questions that get RAFO'D. 

Edited by Calderis

13 hours ago, Calderis said:

@StrikerEZ Black was "corrupted" investiture.

Red is just a "specific phenomenon" not associated with a particular shard. Which applies to colors in general. 

I can't find anything about the rip specifically at the moment that isn't a RAFO. But here's one on red eyes specifically to make a lot of people's predictions of Trell as Odium a little less likely. 

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/56664-2016-12-01-arcanum-unbounded-university-bookstore-seattle-wa/?page=2#

This is probably where you got the read as corrupt/co-opted idea, because the reporter for that WoB made the assumption in the post that they shared it. We have other WoBs linking the black to that effect though, which lead directly into Nightblood questions that get RAFO'D. 

Yeah, I am still about "Foreign Controlled Investiture appears redish" so Odium-related stuff glows Red on Roshar because Odium is Invested in Braize and Trell-related's Investiture is reddish because he/she is not invested on Scadrial and intead simply emanates his influence from somewhere else.

In theory with this Interpretation, Wyndle will appear reddish on Nalthis or Braize

Edited by Yata

I don't believe that Trell is Odium. I think Trell is whichever shard is working alongside Odium. I think the miasma is Odium, and Harmony is preparing for his approach. Odium just has that "end boss" feel to him. I know we only know like 10 of the shards, so there could very well be one worse out there.

On 10/6/2017 at 9:41 PM, Walin said:

I'm not sure Odium.  Un-splintering Honor would make for a plot thread, but I'm not sure it could take up 5 books by itself.  Odium is one of the big-bads of the Cosmere, and we would have to have a Greater-Scope Villain for the second arc to feel satisfying.

My prediction instead is that the front half will end with Odium sending down his campion, and winning.  He might even splinter Cultivation while he's at it, just to add to the cliffhanger.  Odium will still be bound to Roshar, but he'll take over and become ruler of the planet.  The back 5 could then focus on unsplintering Honor as a plot to overthrow Odium, with the likely side effect of unleashing him on the rest of the Cosmere.

Edited by anna
I took my dog for a walk and thought of better wording

Trell has got to be Bavadin. Between the WOB stating that she is worshipped in many names by many peoples, and has even been a full pantheon, and the outrage Miles and Bleeder express towards Harmony's heavy hand. This is the exact hypocrisy Kriss was pointing out in Autonomy. 

My problem with Odium escaping at the end of book 5 is it really goes against Brandon's stand alone series concept in my opinion. For Cosmere aware fans it would be cool but would probably be meaningless to someone just reading the series. I just don't see Brandon doing it in the middle of Stormlight. Now I can see him escaping at the end of book 10  which if I am correct timeline wise would still allow him to  be there since Era 2 is after Stormlight. I agree with others though and think it is another shard after Harmony. Plus I think as others have mentioned it is too messy with the ending of Era 2 before the ending of book 10. 

4 hours ago, StormingTexan said:

My problem with Odium escaping at the end of book 5 is it really goes against Brandon's stand alone series concept in my opinion. For Cosmere aware fans it would be cool but would probably be meaningless to someone just reading the series. I just don't see Brandon doing it in the middle of Stormlight. Now I can see him escaping at the end of book 10  which if I am correct timeline wise would still allow him to  be there since Era 2 is after Stormlight. I agree with others though and think it is another shard after Harmony. Plus I think as others have mentioned it is too messy with the ending of Era 2 before the ending of book 10. 

Era2 is After Stormlight Arc1's end but before Arc2's end.

So the whole Era 2 take Place between books 5-6 or 6-7 (the timeline isn't already fixed)

1 minute ago, StormingTexan said:

Oh wow didn’t know it was that close. So Era 2 is roughly 15-20 years after SA book 5?

Mostly, as I said Brandon (on the last update I remember) was still working with the timeline (remember that Era2 wasn't supposed to exist, It was Just a luckly incident)

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:53 AM, Yata said:

Yeah, I am still about "Foreign Controlled Investiture appears redish" so Odium-related stuff glows Red on Roshar because Odium is Invested in Braize and Trell-related's Investiture is reddish because he/she is not invested on Scadrial and intead simply emanates his influence from somewhere else.

In theory with this Interpretation, Wyndle will appear reddish on Nalthis or Braize

I wonder if a Surgebinder's eyes would be reddish on another world...I kinda want to add that to my list of questions for the Oathbringer signing. That might be a sneaky way to get another clue.

• Chaos locked this topic