[OB] Szeth and Nightblood

Erunion

I agree with you 100%. Szeth is using his Nightblood Litmus Test as his moral determinant now, and that is going to cause some problems. 

I think Szeth knows very little about Nightblood, as evidenced by the fact he doesn’t know its name. He may believe, based on what he has seen, that the sword is some powerful being capable of determining good and evil. The problem with this, of course, is that our dear old super-powered robot spren of a talking sword has no clue what evil really is, only that it should be destroyed. I could see some serious problems developing from that, like the situations you mentioned. 

Whatever happens, I think this is a great theory. My Upvote to Yours, my Rep become Yours, and I’m excited to see how this will develop in Oathbringer. 

2 minutes ago, Nashan'Elin said:

I agree with you 100%. Szeth is using his Nightblood Litmus Test as his moral determinant now, and that is going to cause some problems. 

I think Szeth knows very little about Nightblood, as evidenced by the fact he doesn’t know its name. He may believe, based on what he has seen, that the sword is some powerful being capable of determining good and evil. The problem with this, of course, is that our dear old super-powered robot spren of a talking sword has no clue what evil really is, only that it should be destroyed. I could see some serious problems developing from that, like the situations you mentioned. 

That could cause problems, Nightblood not knowing what evil is.

To be fair, we still don't know what he would do to someone who'd  reach for the sword, and I don't think he'll start blindly slaughtering anyone Nightblood deems unworthy. I don't quite remember Nightblood's temperament, it's been a while, but i'm sure it's not the kind of being a careful guy like Szeth would readily trust. From the little we saw of him in Edgedancer, i'd say he has yet to decide the direction he'll go, he is right to question Nale's near worship of the law, as i assume back in the day the Skybreakers enforced the laws set by the Heralds, not by some dude who managed to put his chull on a throne. I'm curious to see which way he'll go, and if being on Roshar will somehow allow Nightblood to grow thanks to the bond i assume he'll form with Szeth.

I think it's worth remembering that Brandon has said that Nightblood is growing and learning - and I don't think we know how many years have actually passed between Warbreaker and Stormlight Archive. Thus, Nightblood may have changed a bit in that time. There are a lot of unknowns - and we can't assume things are the same as in Warbreaker.

2 minutes ago, Blacksmithki said:

Well the stormlight archives are set around the middle of the 10 000 year cosmere, (WoB somewhere) does anyone know when warbreaker is?

After Mistborn TFE but before SA. best I can give ya. 

The problem with Nightblood is that his judgment is based on two factors. The perception of the person being judged, and their desires as to how they would use the sword. 

Most people view themselves in a way that reflects what is socially normal. So if they think of themselves as a "bad" person relatively, Nightblood is going to try and make them bloodthirsty. 

I'm curious what a true sociopath would do though, because morality... Doesn't really factor in to their perception. Would their ability to use the sword for power and gain be enough to tip the scale towards "evil" or would they be a truly neutral figure to Nightblood, and be neither nauseated or bloodthirsty? 

1 hour ago, Blacksmithki said:

Well the stormlight archives are set around the middle of the 10 000 year cosmere, (WoB somewhere) does anyone know when warbreaker is?

Before WOK for sure. Characters from Warbreaker are in Stormlight, clearly after events that happened in Warbreaker. 

EDIT: Ninja’d by @Calderis

Edited by Erunion
Ninja’d

3 hours ago, Darvys said:

To be fair, we still don't know what he would do to someone who'd  reach for the sword, and I don't think he'll start blindly slaughtering anyone Nightblood deems unworthy. I don't quite remember Nightblood's temperament, it's been a while, but i'm sure it's not the kind of being a careful guy like Szeth would readily trust. From the little we saw of him in Edgedancer, i'd say he has yet to decide the direction he'll go, he is right to question Nale's near worship of the law, as i assume back in the day the Skybreakers enforced the laws set by the Heralds, not by some dude who managed to put his chull on a throne. I'm curious to see which way he'll go, and if being on Roshar will somehow allow Nightblood to grow thanks to the bond i assume he'll form with Szeth.

He wouldn't need to slaughter anyone.  When somebody "fails" the Nightblood test they stick Nightblood through their own chest.

24 minutes ago, Subvisual Haze said:

He wouldn't need to slaughter anyone.  When somebody "fails" the Nightblood test they stick Nightblood through their own chest.

Not always - that’s the way Vasher did it usually. He would throw the sword at the person and let them kill themselves with it... usually. But the test is just the blood lust vs. Nausea experienced. If Vasher/Szeth kept hold of the sword they could use it to kill (instead of letting people kill each other). 

21 minutes ago, Subvisual Haze said:

I'm aware, but allowing it to happen would pretty much amount to the same, with the weight he already carries, i have a feeling Szeth will be more merciful than that. Come to think of it, doesn't take much to be more merciful than Nightblood ...

17 minutes ago, Felt said:

What if Szeth and Nightblood encounter Taravingian? He thinks he's saving the world... What would Nightblood do?

I'm fairly sure that his sense of guilt and remorse over his actions would put him in the evil camp according to Nightblood. 

54 minutes ago, Calderis said:

I'm fairly sure that his sense of guilt and remorse over his actions would put him in the evil camp according to Nightblood. 

Hehe. Might depend on how smart he's feeling that day. Subjective based on how emotionally driven he is.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2017 at 2:19 PM, Blacksmithki said:

The Prelude for Stormlight Archives is currently 6000 years after the Shattering.[2] The Modern Story is 4,500 Rosharan years(just about 5K Earth years) after the Prelude. Modern Stormlight Archives Story is about 11,000 years after the Shattering.

Brandon Sanderson

Current timeline, which I have NOT canonized, is around 6,000 years... I have not finished with my outline document yet.

leiftinspace

'Cause I've looked at the current chronology and it's very, very spotty...

Brandon Sanderson

Yes it is... the real trick is... making sure that I fit in, for instance, White Sand and things with the proper amount... because I haven't released that book series yet, I have to make sure while we're doing the graphic novel, that it fits the chronology, which is why I can't quite canonize things yet.

As for Warbreaker, it's between Mistborn Era 1 and Stormlight Archive. The only additional detail I can give you is that the timegap between Warbreaker and Stormlight is big enough for Brandon to consider the Warbreaker Sequel as "closer to Warbreaker than to Stormlight."

On 05/10/2017 at 6:12 PM, ElephantEarwax said:

That could cause problems, Nightblood not knowing what evil is.

Luckily for Nightblood it appears Szeth is at least a moderately read scholar and now willing to ask awkward questions so his new metal friend doesn't get as mesed up as him.

Szeth seems more willing to endulge in philosophical discussion with Nightblood than Vasher was.

So Nightblood has definitely given Szeth the ability to draw in stormlight, given the strange afterimage he leaves behind. The question is, assuming Szeth can Nahel bond Nightblood, what sorts of abilities would he gain? Because Nightblood is an artificial spren, who knows if he will grant neighboring surge. We don't even know that he will grant any surges, let alone known ones. I'm ready to see Szeth become a KR outside of the orders, given that his spren bond will be so unique.