[OB] Oathbringer chapters 16-18

Mestiv

Just now, Toaster Retribution said:

You guys are losing me here. Who got stabbed (other than Sadeas)?

Shallan went looking in that area because she heard of the stabbing, then she found out that the murder people were talking about was a strangling which had a duplicate.

2 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

You guys are losing me here. Who got stabbed (other than Sadeas)?

That soldier from Sebarial's army. Vedekar Perel.

Wow! I always think the chapters can't get any better and they do. I agree that we don't quite know if the yellow spren is voidspren yet. Although it's hard to speculate since we don't really know what voidspren are like yet. I wonder what the parshman are going to do once they get to their destination? If they're escaping, why would they head towards Kholinar? Especially since it seems like they're wanting to avoid confrontation?

I also worry about Shallan :/ Especially if she is starting not to know what are lies or not lies.

And I love Pattern and Syl. And I love that Pattern likes Adolin and that he was happy when Shallan said she didn't want him to die :')

I wonder if the Everstorm restoring the parshmen's souls has something to do with Dalinar remembering Evi. Syl says that it restores Connection and Identity, perhaps it simply filled the "hole" the Nightwatcher left in Dalinar's Spiritweb, as well as those of the parshmen. I think that Gavilar was referring the piece of Adonalsium that gave them sentience in the prologue, because the definition of "spren" is super broad, encompassing most kinds of investiture. 

Edited by AluminumGnat
Comment got cut off on mobile. Added the missing portion

9 minutes ago, Daishi5 said:

Someone else kind of mentioned it, but I worry that Dalinar's curse is to forget his wife, not to forget Evi.  That sounds like just the sort of evil wordsmithing twist that you tend to see in curses.  (Hopefully its just the everstorm that cured him.)

Yeah, that is a scary thought.  Forgetting someone who is literally right there.

4 minutes ago, sooyangi said:

And I love Pattern and Syl. And I love that Pattern likes Adolin and that he was happy when Shallan said she didn't want him to die :')

Hey, Pattern even thought about marrying Adolin :wub:. He keeps on being completly clueless even though he's practically spying on everone in private. Maybe he should talk more to SHallan about those things... Which would result in a lot of embarassing (read: funny) moments :)

Oooops sorry for double post :) 

Edited by She Who Cannot Be Named
double post

1 hour ago, Stark said:

So, if someone saw the second Sadeas style murder, they would have seen Adolin killing the person!

To echo the other posts, I don't think it's a person.

1 hour ago, dendrophobe said:

Yeah, when Pattern said there was something wrong with her lies, that worried me... A lot.

Me too

Odium's handling of this conflict has been brilliant up to this point in my opinion. Feigning a diplomatic approach with the Parshendi while his voidspren work to amass the Parshendi is buying his forces time. If the Parshmen had been revived into storm form and attacked the major cities I feel like that would drive humanity into uniting against this threat and agreeing to allow Dalinar to have the Oathgates opened. Waiting until your forces are large enough to sweep over the continent while one by one the kings and queens refuse Dalinars offer of unity is going to be huge in this book. Keeping the various orders of the Knights Radiant separated will pay dividends for the Voidbringers as well. Think about it, how many people who are having Radiant powers manifest within them actually know about Urithiru? I doubt the ruling class will alert any potential Radiant in the midst of a gathering of them in Urithiiru. They wouldn't want such a valuable resource sprinting off to the hallowed city. The Heralds will have to get involved and quickly for humanity to have a chance.

This is my overarching speculation for Oathbringer.

Crazy theory time. The secret that unmade the Radiants is what the Bondsmith's did to the parshmen, tearing up their souls. Now, how this unmade the Radiants is that they were unwilling to undo it because they thought it did in fact prevent future desolations. This violates most orders oaths in someway. Though as to why it would be a problem for Lightweavers I have no idea. No way Windrunners could reconcile it with the oaths that we know.

Edited by dionysus

5 minutes ago, frozndevl said:

To echo the other posts, I don't think it's a person.

Yeah, I actually think it might be an Aimian.  We have seen that they watch everything.  No one would take note of a cremling while committing murder.  They have an agenda, both from the back cover blurbs, and from the preview interlude we saw.  They seem like they would be capable of perfectly imitating another's actions.  And appearance, so the witnesses would have seen Adolin and Ned look alikes doing their own copy cat work.

I feel an Aimian hiding in Urithuru, trying to keep the Alethi off balance and from looking towards Aimia, with the 10th oathgate would fit their motivations, such as we've seen so far, quite well.

Much better than one of the Unmade doing it.  The Unmade are spren.  They have no physical form unless bound.  They may be influencing the murders, but they are physically incapable of doing the deed themselves.  People screaming 'The Unmade did it' need to flesh out that theory a lot more before I am willing to buy into it.

Random other thought, Dalinar's hiding spot may not be as good as he thinks it is.  I get the impression that poopspren are terrible gossips.

2 minutes ago, Stark said:

Much better than one of the Unmade doing it.  The Unmade are spren.  They have no physical form unless bound.  They may be influencing the murders, but they are physically incapable of doing the deed themselves.  People screaming 'The Unmade did it' need to flesh out that theory a lot more before I am willing to buy into it.

Well, in one of Dalinar's visions a voidspren inhabits rock, rips it from the ground, and animates it. So some spren at least can directly interact with the physical realm without a bond.

2 minutes ago, DSC01 said:

I've noticed that there is some interest in Dalinar's returning memory (perhaps that's something of an understatement ;)). I think that how it happened is explained in the very next chapter, when Syl says:

And that, on a much smaller scale, is exactly what happened to Dalinar. The Nightwatcher ripped off a tiny piece of his soul, broke his Connection to Evi and her memory. The precise mechanism of the healing may remain a mystery (for example, did it happen because he was holding Stormlight when Navani said the name this time, and the Investiture flowed into the wound as it was thus revealed?), but I think we have a general answer to the "how" of it in the restoration of the parshmen.

As to the fear that Odium is somehow involved, I think it significant that Syl only says, "Power has filled the holes"--power, not Odium's power. In other words, Investiture. And Investiture is Investiture. If Odium's Investiture can Heal something, then so can Stormlight, even if it needs to take another path to do it. 

Well put. Have a thingy.

Had to wait until lunch to read and I am already 6 pages behind! Wow how was Dalinar healed from using the lashing? We finally know her name! Syl confirms the Listners have a spren and it is a void spren? Need to re-read that part and the previous comments. Shallan's personality escaping is concerning. Another copy cat. This changes what I think of the previous one completely. 

I really now believe that the freed parshmen not taking stormform or some void form is completely intentional and will be used to lure humanity into a false sense of security. Human kingdoms are much more likely to negotiate with and be sympathetic toward what they view as normal parshendi rather than parshendi that have glowing red eyes and can shoot red lightning. I assume this is because Odium knows that humanity is divided and doesn't trust Dalinar, and has to be doing all he can to prevent humanity from uniting and will be going with "divide and conquer" as one of his main strategies. This seems like a very sensible way of doing that.

Of course I could also be way off the mark here.

3 hours ago, Knabepicer said:

So defeating Odium's champion is only going to buy them time. I guess we now know what'll lead to the gap between the two different "eras".

Oh shoot. That could mean that the champion would replace the heralds and be sent to Damnation, win or lose.