[OB] Oathbringer chapters 16-18

Mestiv

I think that the second murders aren't human work - something else is going on. Veil is crazy. Going deeper into her disguise isn't any good for her mental health. Announcing a new ship: Pattodlin. Or Adolern.

Oh my god. I mean By the Almighty! The curse is breaking - he is remembering Evi.

1 minute ago, Steeldancer said:

Ok. Pattern ships Adolin and Shallan. *mike drop*

Moving on, goodness Shallan is freaking me out. Horneater lager? Stabbing her hand? I'm concerned about her health. That's cannot be good for you to go and drink that stuff, even if stormlight heals her.

Kaladins chapter was pretty noninformative. I want exposition. 

Also Dalinar confronts the church. Fascinating. 

The power of a persona. Shallan's mastering lies and her acting skills.

P.S. As promised your first post got kudos from me.

Just now, Agent34 said:

The power of a persona. Shallan's mastering lies and her acting skills.

P.S. As promised your first post got kudos from me.

Thanks. 

Ok. This is huge. The curse is being removed (or boon). This means he will also probably lose his boon  (or curse). Is it just the stormlight? 

I loved the description of him reaching for various sources of power. Reminded me of burning metals. 

My heart skipped a bit when I saw Evi's name and Dalinar actually remembering it.

• Did the stormlight healed him? Loved that story about tradition! He did a good sermon.

The whole Kaladin's part just ... I have so many questions to ask or to know.

• So Syl absolutely knows what that other spren is? Can "she" be wrong? Have we ever seen a spren that was wrong in his/her assumption?
  • Is it possible that Kaladin wants to sway them to "the right way"?
  • Will he protect them against other humans? 

Oh the second copy cat murder! Storm it, everything we said was wrong.

• Can it be something in Urithiru that does that?
  • This can't be Ialai, can't be the ghostbloods, what the storm is it then?
  • I am pretty sure Shallan will ask Adolin how the hell he knew that it was a copycat!
  • The whole pattern talking about corpses... rust I didn't ever consider that

Today's chapters were the strangest thing I've ever read.

3 minutes ago, yulerule said:

I think that the second murders aren't human work - something else is going on. Veil is crazy. Going deeper into her disguise isn't any good for her mental health. Announcing a new ship: Pattodlin. Or Adolern.

Oh my god. I mean By the Almighty! The curse is breaking - he is remembering Evi.

Ditto on the inhuman touch, the identical killings are too exact. Perhaps an Unmade or voidspren made to sow panic and doubt in a populace?

Just now, lastofus said:

My heart skipped a bit when I saw Evi's name and Dalinar actually remembering it.

• Did the stormlight healed him? Loved that story about tradition! He did a good sermon.

The whole Kaladin's part just ... I have so many questions to ask or to know.

• So Syl absolutely knows what that other spren is? Can "she" be wrong? Have we ever seen a spren that was wrong in his/her assumption?
  • Is it possible that Kaladin wants to sway them to "the right way"?
  • Will he protect them against other humans? 

Oh the second copy cat murder! Storm it, everything we said was wrong.

• Can it be something in Urithiru that does that?
  • This can't be Ialai, can't be the ghostbloods, what the storm is it then?
  • I am pretty sure Shallan will ask Adolin how the hell he knew that it was a copycat!
  • The whole pattern talking about corpses... rust I didn't ever consider that

Today's chapters were the strangest thing I've ever read.

I bet it's the sleepless. Why? I have no idea. 

Okay.  Vasher being Vasher, awesome.  Ardents having a crisis of faith and the total takedown of tradition for tradition's sake, brilliant.  Evi's name, oh dear, what is happening?  Is the stormlight healing the holes in his brain, because he does not view himself as a person who would not remember his wife?  Will he also lose the counterpart to his Nightwatcher visit?

So much hope and happy feels at Kaladin working to establish trust.

Red clawed cremlings are poisonous, huh.  Lighteyes fancy up their liquor, amusing.  A literal, body doubling copy cat murderer.  What the heck?  I don't think we will see another Sadeas style murder, but damnation.  The copy cat literaly looked exactly like the first killer.  So, if someone saw the second Sadeas style murder, they would have seen Adolin killing the person!

Also, Dalinar being Dalinar, and being there with his guys.  Bridge thirteen's guy being a little too casual strikes me as odd.

That tradition busting story has to be my favorite part of this week.  Tradition for tradition's sake is one of the things that bother me the most.  THe line, just because its old doesn't make it right Hits me deeply.

Final thought, listener children.  Good to see them.  A lot of emotions come up as they discuss the reality of being born into slavery.  Also, there seems to be a colour change in the patterning of the listeners as they achieve maturity, from orange-pink to orange-red.  Like deer?  Super cool.

Edited by Stark

Just now, Stark said:

Okay.  Vasher being Vasher, awesome.  Ardents having a crisis of faith and the total takedown of tradition for tradition's sake, brilliant.  Evi's name, oh dear, what is happening?  Is the stormlight healing the holes in his brain, because he does not view himself as a person who would not remember his wife?  Will he also lose the counterpart to his Nightwatcher visit?

So much hope and happy feels at Kaladin working to establish trust.

Red clawed cremlings are poisonous, huh.  Lighteyes fancy up their liquor, amusing.  A literal, body doubling copy cat murderer.  What the heck?  I don't think we will see another Sadeas style murder, but damnation.

Also, Dalinar being Dalinar, and being there with his guys.  Bridge thirteen's guy being a little too casual strikes me as odd.

That tradition busting story has to be my favorite part of this week.  Tradition for tradition's sake is one of the things that bother me the most.  THe line, just because its old doesn't make it right Hits me deeply.

Final thought, listener children.  Good to see them.  A lot of emotions come up as they discuss the reality of being born into slavery.  Also, there seems to be a colour change in the patterning of the listeners as they achieve maturity, from orange-pink to orange-red.  Like deer?  Super cool.

Good point about the bridgeman. Could he be a worldhopper? 

6 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

Good point about the bridgeman. Could he be a worldhopper? 

Worldhopper? Unlikely that a worldhopper would let themselves get taken as a slave, or made a bridgerunner.  I'm thinking a cameo of one of Brandon's friends or beta readers.  Just seems really odd to mouth off to the most powerful man in the world right now, even if he has a reputation for being a bit more relaxed about rank through Kaladin, right after he calls you on being mouthy...

Edit: Though that may just be my personal bias.  I tend to be too mouthy for my own good, and if I had been given the honor of a cameo in Oathbringer by Brandon, I would totally have asked to be in Bridge Thirteen.

Edited by Stark

Wow...

Kaladin's chapter was about what I expected. Dalinar's felt like one of Brandon's extra smart chapters followed by one heck of a cliff. Shallan... yikes!

Okay, I'm going to take a guess that there's something sinister about these copy-cat deaths. I immediately thought that it could be something related to Odium. I'm not sure why any human force would do such a thing, unless they're really really twisted. It would be interesting to know if it's something that only started happening in Urithiru or started before. Is Urithiru haunted or did something follow them? Hmm, either way what Shallan is investigating might be a lot bigger than it first appears to be and I suspect that it'll take some time and I guess this will be the big external problem for her to solve this book.

Meanwhile, I see Pattern has joined the shipping wars :D

I'm very glad that Pattern likes Adolin and that Shallan told Pattern she doesn't want him to leave. 

“No. No, please don’t leave me.”

“But you hate me.”

“I hate myself too,” she whispered. “Just
 please. Don’t go. Don’t die.” 

I'm not the least surprised by this. That Shallan hates herself (I'd often suspected) or that Shallan really doesn't want to lose Pattern.

I was a bit surprised that Shallan worries that she can't even trust her own memories. Yeah, she definitely worries about her own sanity. I wasn't too surprised that Shallan would actually stab herself - she definitely doesn't worry too much about her own personal safety.

And the copycat killer has to be an Unmade at this point.

Both because of the nature of the murders, and from a storytelling perspective.  Odium's name has been dropped more and more as time goes on, some of his 'generals' (loose term) have to make a notable, antagonistic appearance as well.

Plus, an Unmade secretly taking residence in the Knights Radiance main base sounds like a clever thing for Odium to do.

38 minutes ago, Kalinovsky said:

Also, confirmation that more oaths need to be sworn in order to get Shardplate.

Interestingly, the Stormfather did not foreclose Plate as a possibility for Dalinar.  So perhaps Bondsmiths can still get that, at least.

Anyone else looking forward to Adolin and Shallan's next date, and seeing Shallan order crazy-hard liquor to Adolin's horror?

Stabbing yourself isn't healthy. Having stormlight that can heal any injuries instantly is only an enabler of that.

Regarding the mouthy bridgeman - I got the feeling he's a bridgeman in the first place because of mouthing off.

Pattern and corpses - well it's true - very true. I sort of want to see more of Shadesmar though, because stiff there must work very differently. And the spren do have cities...

Kaladin helping the Parshmen - the feels - they always knew that something was wrong with their minds. I wonder why the Voidspren didn't bind to a Parshmen and instead is free. I think that's the first time we see a higher spren (other than Stormform) unbound in the Physical Realm that's fully cognizant and speaking aloud and visible to everybody.

“Veil is just a face."

No. Veil was a woman who didn’t giggle when she got drunk, or whine, fanning her mouth when the drink was too hard for her. She never acted like a silly teenager. Veil hadn’t been sheltered, practically locked away, until she went crazy and murdered her own family.

Shallan stopped in place, suddenly frantic. “My brothers. Pattern, I didn’t kill them, right?”

[...]

“Shallan,” Pattern said, sounding concerned. “No. They live. Your brothers live. Mraize said he rescued them. They are on their way here. This isn’t the lie.” His voice grew smaller. “Can’t you tell?”

She adopted Veil again, her pain fading. “Yes. Of course I can tell.” She started forward again.

“Shallan,” Pattern said. “This is
 mmm
 there is something wrong with these lies you place upon yourself. I don’t understand it.”

“I just need to go deeper,” she whispered. “I can’t be Veil only on the surface.”

Pattern buzzed with a soft, anxious vibration—fast paced, high pitched. Veil hushed him as she reached All’s Alley

Stormfather, Shallan... What are you doing.

Pattern is afraid.

Edited by SLNC

I love that Pattern and Shallan are talking to each other and trying to resolve the rift between them.  So often we have these issues prolonged because characters wont talk to each other, and they aren't falling into that cliched trap.  Very happy.

And she DOESN'T WANT HIM TO DIE!  

But once again, we have a Shallan POV were it is directly referenced what she hates.  She hates herself, and does not deny hating Pattern when he mentions it.  If we look at characters who talk about their hatreds, and how often it comes up, Shallan is near the top.  Granted, the Truth she admitted is still super fresh, but still.  She admits to hating.  I am more worried and convinced that she, as the most advanced Radiant we have on screen, with the most fragile sense of self, is extremely open to Odium's influence.  Which would result in her being a candidate for Odium's champion.

And can we talk about the Ghostblood's for a minute?  Setting aside the naming convention of your average ten year old, how f^@ked up are these people?  That your above standard thugs are petrified of them, and it is completely acceptable that one of them would STAB A HAND TO A TABLE THROUGH THEIR OWN HAND! And that is getting off easy!  What the rust.  And Shallan has not made the connection that these super messed up psychos, who admit to trying to have her and her mentor killed have her entire living family essentially hostage under the guise of bringing them to her?  How can she not see that this will not end well.

She asks Pattern if she killed her family and replaced them with illusions. No, Shallan, you didn't.  But you may well have killed them by pulling the Ghostblood thread to see where it leads.

1 minute ago, SLNC said:

Pattern is afraid.

Yeah, when Pattern said there was something wrong with her lies, that worried me... A lot.

Unmade copycat killer!

My bet is the Voidspren is doing a long con on the Parshmen. If it bonded with one of them, they might see it as their gods returned and run away. This way it earns their trust, then snatches them all up when the time is right and they're where it wants them. Or maybe Parshmen have to be healed first, and THEN they're susceptible to spren-bonding.

3 minutes ago, SLNC said:

Pattern is afraid.

It seems Shallan's path is going to be dark.  Reading her flashbacks was hard in WoR, maybe it's going to be hard to read her current timeline chapters in OB.

I loved this! The whole sequence when Dalinar is dueling an ardent, arguing theology with him, and negotiating with another country at the same time, I kept hearing the "who's the manliest man?" line from the Lego Batman Movie. And then he absorbs stormlight! And then remembers his wife!?! With Kaladin we heard about Identity and Connection again; the magics are converging! And Shallan's whole chapter...wow! I cannot wait for the next chapters!