Dragonsteel chapter(s)

15 minutes ago, CaptainRyan said:

Does anyone else think Frost might also be Drephrast, god of the Sho Del?

It's highly possible. Not enough to go off of, but him letting Jerrick go at the end there does seem suspicious.

Also there's the similarity between Frost and Drephrast.

Edited by The Invested Beard

1 minute ago, The Invested Beard said:

It's highly possible. Not enough to go off of, but him letting Jerrick go at the end there does seem suspicious.

Also there's the similarity between Frost and Drephrast.

On top of that, I thought someone mentioned to Jerrick (after he had been a bridgeman for a bit) that Drephrast had only started showing up recently. You know, coincidentally right around when Frost showed up.

So that's what Tzai blows are! I'd seen a vague reference to them once in a WoB; it's good to know see what they actually do.

The Realmatic Theory is interesting (and I think it's still a reliable source, even though the book isn't publishable, because this is the foundation that Brandon has been building his other books on). We get the gods mentioned again - that reminds me of some old discussions about the Liar of Partinel sample chapters, which had dead gods. I wonder who these gods are, if the Lords mentioned in Dragonsteel are the same as the gods in Liar (and Brandon just pushed their deaths forward chronologically to that point), or if they're two separate groups. And where, if it all, does Adonalsium fit into those?

The fundamentals of magic seem very different than what we see in canon books. There's no direct Investiture, nothing being drawn from a Shard, only people applying their Cognitive aspects so far (either to move molecules, plant illusions in minds, or break Spiritual aspects). I wonder if that's something that changed fundamentally with the Shattering of Adonalsium, or if Yolen at this point would even follow the same Realmatics as the rest of the cosmere proper that we see later. (Or if the rest of the cosmere even exists at this point. Let's be very careful in what we assume.)

This may be the end of the Dragonsteel chapters for us... but at least we got quite a show in these last two! A dragon, better understanding of Dragonsteel, an exhibition of Tzai martial ar- Magic!, and a small info dump on the three realms, including a nice bit on the Spiritual Realm. 

Now I REALLY want to visit Utah again, Beautiful canyons, arches, interesting rock shapes... oh, and a certain master's thesis, if I'm VERY lucky.

10 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

The fundamentals of magic seem very different than what we see in canon books. There's no direct Investiture, nothing being drawn from a Shard, only people applying their Cognitive aspects so far (either to move molecules, plant illusions in minds, or break Spiritual aspects). I wonder if that's something that changed fundamentally with the Shattering of Adonalsium, or if Yolen at this point would even follow the same Realmatics as the rest of the cosmere proper that we see later. (Or if the rest of the cosmere even exists at this point. Let's be very careful in what we assume.)

Or maybe pre-Shattering the Investiture was mostly freely to be tapped without high Connections (not for an hard rule but simply for a pratical situation). After all NOW, you have to have a strong Connection to a Shard. But back then, Adonalsium was almost everything...Probably you was deeply connected with him by default. So everyone could be a proto-magicuser

Edited by Yata

4 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

For my own headcanon, I'm just going with assuming that overall worldbuilding is going to be pretty much the same. But seriously, if an artist would mind doing a Dragon, that would be awesome. 

I haven't drawn anything for quite some time but I did like to draw dragons back in the day. Maybe I should get back into it.

On 10/19/2017 at 11:55 PM, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Yes, you can go to BYU and take it out of the library. Sadly, you cannot request that it be sent to another school - I've tried!!!!

Considers taking a trip to Utah to read Dragonsteel at the BYU library... suspects all copies will be checked out when she arrives...

Last time we talked to the library about it, in 2013, the book was supposed to be available via Interlibrary Loan.

On 10/24/2017 at 2:18 AM, Yata said:

Or maybe pre-Shattering the Investiture was mostly freely to be tapped without high Connections (not for an hard rule but simply for a pratical situation). After all NOW, you have to have a strong Connection to a Shard. But back then, Adonalsium was almost everything...Probably you was deeply connected with him by default. So everyone could be a proto-magicuser

I was my understanding that pre-Shattering magic was not Investiture-based as it is now. I think there is a WoB about that. But there's little to nothing about it that is fully canon. 

So are Dragons shape-shifters? That does not sound very Brandon. My own headcanon is, that Dragons relate to the Cognitive and Spiritual realms differently than humans do, but not necessarily better or worse. Rather, different, much like we see the Parshendi or Aimians. (What actually comes to mind is Zerg vs Protoss) 

In that vein of pure speculation, I can see them wearing a kind of Cognitive Realm mask. So, not physical shape shifting, but Cognitive thought-shape-shifting. Or perhaps a mask in the Spiritual Realm. 

9 minutes ago, ZenBossanova said:

I was my understanding that pre-Shattering magic was not Investiture-based as it is now. I think there is a WoB about that. But there's little to nothing about it that is fully canon. 

So are Dragons shape-shifters? That does not sound very Brandon. My own headcanon is, that Dragons relate to the Cognitive and Spiritual realms differently than humans do, but not necessarily better or worse. Rather, different, much like we see the Parshendi or Aimians. (What actually comes to mind is Zerg vs Protoss) 

In that vein of pure speculation, I can see them wearing a kind of Cognitive Realm mask. So, not physical shape shifting, but Cognitive thought-shape-shifting. Or perhaps a mask in the Spiritual Realm. 

The only problem with it not being physical is the problem of physical size and interactions with the world around them.

19 minutes ago, The Invested Beard said:

The only problem with it not being physical is the problem of physical size and interactions with the world around them.

That might be a problem if the mask is in the Cognitive Realm, but if it is in the Spiritual Realm, then it could be a natural consequence, because the Spiritual directs the Physical. It would be a kind of Forgery. 

1 minute ago, ZenBossanova said:

That might be a problem if the mask is in the Cognitive Realm, but if it is in the Spiritual Realm, then it could be a natural consequence, because the Spiritual directs the Physical. It would be a kind of Forgery. 

I'm still unclear on this. How would a non-physical change make it so that a giant dragon body could fit in a human sized room through a human sized door, etc.?

3 minutes ago, The Invested Beard said:

I'm still unclear on this. How would a non-physical change make it so that a giant dragon body could fit in a human sized room through a human sized door, etc.?

If you recall, Forgery (as used in The Emperor's Soul) could make profound physical changes, by giving an artificial Spiritual Connection. 

• 2 months later...
On 10/30/2017 at 1:40 PM, ZenBossanova said:

In that vein of pure speculation, I can see them wearing a kind of Cognitive Realm mask. So, not physical shape shifting, but Cognitive thought-shape-shifting. Or perhaps a mask in the Spiritual Realm

Might be, or given how knowledgeable Frost is in the use of REDACTED(well beg pardon REDACTED) he could be using that, after all he said it himself: "The Essence of REDACTED is to make alterations to the physical by using Cognitive energy"so he and his Brethren might be able to do that to their own bodies.

Edited by Chaos
Redacting things Dragonsteel Entertainment want redacted

On 1/11/2018 at 1:55 PM, Warpsmith said:

Might be, or given how knowledgeable Frost is in the use of REDACTED(well beg pardon REDACTED) he could be using that, after all he said it himself: "The Essence of REDACTED is to make alterations to the physical by using Cognitive energy"so he and his Brethren might be able to do that to their own bodies.

Yup, cosmere shapeshifting mechanics.

Edited by Chaos
Redacting things Dragonsteel Entertainment want redacted