[OB] Strange Voidbringers

Young Bard

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who found Voidbringers playing Magic to be odd, to say the least. This theory will probably be disproved within 24 hours (because I'm lazy and couldn't be bothered typing it out last Tuesday/Wednesday), but here goes...

The white and red marbled Voidbringers that Kaladin saw are different to regular Voidbringers. Their job is to act as strategists, advisors, and tacticians in the Desolations. That's why, when they transformed, they were less immediately aggressive than you'd expect from the Voidbringers, choosing not to attack their local village, but instead band together and begin a strategic march to somewhere (possibly Kholinar, but that's outside the scope of this theory). It's also why they play a Magic-esque strategy game when Kaladin observes them. They are performing their duty as they've been made to do, but that isn't to slaughter and kill all those around them, but to organise and strategise. It explains their - at first glance - less terrifying appearance and strange behaviour patterns, their strange movements, as though they're going for a subtler, yet more devastating, way to kickstart the Desolation whenever they arrive. I don't have any idea yet what their goal actually is, though I think this theory could begin to explain why they're not immediately attacking those around them, like had been expected. The 'strategist' Voidbringers, I believe, are also responsible for why the ships were stolen from Thaylen - crippling its economic ability, and caused the Voidbringers to negotiate with the Azish - allowing them to be kept out of the conflict and preventing a united front from forming among the peoples of Roshar - a much more cunning approach than it seems they'd take from the brief experiences with them on the Shattered Plains.

I thought it was heavily implied that the freed parshmen weren't all voidbringers, and that the sailers and negotiators were trying to do the sort of things thier owners did. A lot of people in some of the other threads have discussed whether Kaladin should lead the group he came across and I saw one popular theory that only a few parshmen were voidbringers and they were leading these groups of free parshmen. Even beyond that, what army would need so many tacticians as opposed to soldiers? And why they seemingly be bad at negotiating if they were specifically trying to take the one nation out of the conflict? (in the conversation they said that the parshmen had outrageous stipulations)

I think of the parshmen who have been affected by the Everstorm (outside of the Shattered Plains) are just... fine. People who woke up with their minds undulled for the first time in their lives. They're not crazy monsters or fulfilling some cunning plan, they just want to go find someplace and live their lives.

My question is whether or not these awakened parshmen have a spren bond at the moment.

They're not in dull form, which is caused by bonding a spren that doesn't correspond to a form, and Kaladin clearly says it's not war form which he would recognize.

It's always possible that they are in a form we've yet to see, but my thought is that maybe the storm somehow altered the parshmen so that they are no longer in slave form when they have no bond.

10 minutes ago, Farnsworth said:

When Eshaonai first went into storm form, she didn't instantly go insane. She was intense, but still capable of talking to the Five, thinking calmly, etc. It could be that they are in stormform but still calm.

Yeah but they're speaking Alethi with no mention of rhythms.

And its been a week give or take. Does anyone have an analysis of how long Eshonai's descent took?

No rhythms to their speech supports my idea that they don't currently have a spren at all.

1 hour ago, Farnsworth said:

When Eshaonai first went into storm form, she didn't instantly go insane. She was intense, but still capable of talking to the Five, thinking calmly, etc. It could be that they are in stormform but still calm.

No. Eshonai presents herself as less changed at the start than later, but her entire demeanor had already changed. She was completely controlled from the start. 

I think that the Parshmsn equal voidbringers is not correct. My theory is that the voidbringers the storm is bringing or releasing, are the voidspren themselves. This will give the unmade like San'jat more access to affect the physical world. 

Some parshman will end up bonded to voidspren. As will some native fauna that have gemhearts, like chasmbeasts. There is possibility that humans too will be tricked into bonding voidspren also. 

• Argent changed the title to [OB] Strange Voidbringers
  • Chaos locked this topic