Wyrmhero

Wyrm is GMing a game again? Maybe it's time I play one again, too.

Sign me up as Gaskon Renaud. Character details coming later... maybe... hopefully. I guess you could say Gaskon is an unrealiable procrastinator.

I am in the middle of prepping for an inspection so I may not be very active until all of my duties are finished, but I'll see if I can manage an hour a day on this until then.

Edited by Amanuensis

Day 1: The Formerly-Of-House-Heron Inquisition

Almost two dozen Obligators were assembled in the meeting room the next morning. Male or female, there was very little difference between them in appearance – All were bald-headed and had tattoos around their eyes to denote their job and rank, and they all wore the similar clothes of the priesthood, though tailored to be slightly more practical. Some had obsidian daggers in their belt. They might not have been Inquisitors, but they might be called upon to perform similar tasks in their role as low-ranking members of the Canton of Inquisition.

The mood in the room was generally frustrated. While most of them would have been present regardless of whether the Prelan had called them in, one or two were complaining about it being their day off.

“I was going to go visit some friends,” Edguardo muttered. “We were going to have lunch together. They were paying,” he capped his complaint off with. It was a great honour and privilege to be asked to serve in the most important and exclusive branch of the Steel Ministry, of course, but it wasn’t always well compensated. “I’ve half a mind to walk off now. To hell with this meeting.”

I’m sure that will go down well with the Prelan,” Jaina said, digging into her pocket and pulling out a few leaves. She deposited them in another pocket inside her coat. There was a chewing noise. “What?” she asked, raising an eyebrow at Edguardo’s disbelief and daring him to say anything.

...Nevermind,” Edguardo sighed. “I just hope this is worth it.”

Oh, I’m sure it will be,” Locke said, clapping Edguardo on the back enthusiastically. “If nothing else, Waern isn’t the kind of man to jump at the shadows, is he? If he’s called us all here for a purpose, well… He’s called us here for a purpose. There’s not much that would require everyone to be here, that’s for sure. Maybe a rogue Mistborn, but what are the chances of that out here?”

Maybe not as low as you think,” Marsh interjected, a grimace on his face. “I have heard of someone causing havoc in the capital. Definitely a Mistborn of some kind, maybe more. Doesn’t seem like they belong to one of the Great Houses though, from what the rumours say.”

I don’t know of any rumours,” Locke said, frowning. “I have had no important news from Luthadel, especially not of this nature. My House has not spoken of this.”

Perhaps they simply don’t see the point of telling you of it,” Marsh said. “Since we are so distant from them. Besides,” he added, “we are meant to cut ties with our families, are we not? Or are you of the opinion that the High Prelan being a Tekiel affords you the opportunity to flout the rules?”

I simply get news from them, nothing more,” Locke said firmly, raising a hand to cut the conversation off. “But, it is as you say, we are remote. So whatever it is, I doubt it is related to Luthadel in any way.”

Perhaps best to leave speculation aside?” Jaina said, patting the outside of a lumpy coat pocket in a soothing manner. “We of all people should know not to simply guess the answer to problems. It would be terribly embarrassing if we were wrong. Regardless of what the problem is, and what we were meant to be doing today,” she added, throwing Edguardo a glance, “we were called here, and we are here. I’m sure we can all wait a few more minutes.”

Fair,” Marsh said, shrugging. “Must be a pretty big announcement either way though. Waern’s late, and that’s not like him.”

Is there a problem if I am running slightly behind?” Waern asked, closing the door behind him. “If you wish to complain, Marsh, feel free. We will all wait for you to be done.”

No sir,” Marsh said, wincing at being discovered. “What is the problem?”

The problem,” Waern said, turning to everyone in the room, “is that one of you is a damned spy! A damned skaa at that!”

You think a skaa could infiltrate our ranks?” Hadrian asked, scoffing at the very idea. “We would know. They would not know what we know, would not look how we do.”

It’s not impossible,” Waern said. “There’s not much difference physically between us and them, and while such knowledge might be hard to come by, we cannot discount corruption elsewhere causing us this problem. No, I have it on good authority: one of you is definitely a skaa spy.”

The room was quiet for a moment. “...Well, who is it?” Alrin asked. “I hardly see why this needs us all here, let’s take them down to the dungeons, torture them a bit to see who they’re working for, and continue on with our lives.”

Waern sighed. “That’s the problem, we don’t know who it is. I received a letter yesterday from the High Prelan...’s office.” Honesty won over pride. “They intercepted a messenger from here, bound for a known skaa thieving group. Neither the messenger or the message could tell us who it was from, only that it was from someone in this building.”

So what do we do?” Straw said. “Most of us have been working here for a good while, so if you aren’t sure about them, then… They must have been here for some time. They know a lot about us, about us all. We’ve not had any suspicion about each other in that time either. How are we meant to figure that out now?”

"Not now, necessarily,” Waern shook his head. “I understand that it will take time to unfold this treachery from within us. As such, I have made two provisions today – Firstly, that no-one else is present within the building. Secondly, the building is locked, and I have hidden the key.” At their surprise, disbelief and even outrage, he smiled. “We won’t starve, I have ensured that there are enough provisions to keep us going for many weeks. I’m afraid it will be canned food for some time, but perhaps that will serve as extra motivation.”

No-one leaves this building until we have removed all stain of corruption from it. All other work is suspended. Do I make myself clear?”

Yes, Prelan,” they all said, through gritted teeth.

Good,” Waern smiled, “I look forward to seeing the Canton of Inquisition work.”

Day 1 has begun! Roles have been sent out!

There is a Tineye alive! Players may send out PMs without restriction until further notice.

The Day will end at 9PM BST (or 8PM GMT) on Tuesday.

red_1507665600.png

Player List:

1. Alrin (Arinian)
  2. Sheon, formerly of House Idris (Seonid)
  3. Locke, formerly of House Tekiel (Orlok Tsubodai)
  4. Eobard (Steeldancer)
  5. Straw (Straw)
  6. Quintus, worldhopper (Jondesu)
  7. Hadrian, formerly of House Penrod (Araris Valerian)
  8. John (Shqueeves)
  9. Variel, ambitious and young (StrikerEZ)
  10. Marsh, but not that Marsh (Darkness Ascendant)
  11. Pix (Lemonelon)
  12. Jaina, obsessed with pandas (littlewilson)
  13. Sart (Sart)
  14. Cyfna (Elbereth)
  15. Edguardo 'The Great', long on plans but short on money (Paranoid King)
  16. A Joe in the Bush
  17. Armina, of House Handler (Arranae)
  18. Sony
  19. Mira (frozen Mint)
  20. Rin (doc12)
  21. Gaskon Renaud, who may get around to procrastinating eventually (Amanuensis)
  22. DarianHammersmith
  23. Droughtbringer
  24. Davus
  25. Nickel, formerly of House Izenry (Aonar Faileas)

Quick Links:

The Rules

Day 1 (you are here)

Questions:

Q1: Do the Eliminators win if a lynch fails?

A1: No, that rule is basically to give the GM leeway to call the game early if the game becomes unwinnable for one side due to vote manipulation powers or chronic inactivity.

Q2: If we vote for 'no lynch' and it wins, does no-one die?

A2: There is no way to vote for 'no lynch', that just means you abstain. If there is a player with two or more votes on them and it isn't a tie, they will still be lynched regardless of whether or not 'no lynch' has a plurality. Similarly, you can't vote for Waern, he's not a player. Also, that's not very wise of you anyway, considering he's the head of the local chapter of the Inquisition, which you also belong to...

Q3: Are there any hidden rules or things the players or spectators can do which aren't in the rules?

A3: My games never have hidden rules unless the players are explicitly warned otherwise at the start. The rules are as they are stated in the opening of this game. Which is a bit unfortunate, as I stated in them there would only be one Seer, and I was briefly excited by the idea of subverting that expectation before realising I had already denied that possibility. Ah well, maybe next time.

Q4: Do the Eliminators have a doc to collaborate on?

A4: Yes, this is confirmed in the rules.

Q5: Will the players be informed if a conversion took place?

A5: No, the only people who will know are the Eliminators. If the Action fails, due to the Seer not having enough atium, the target will not be informed that they were targeted with it.

Q6: Can the Seer kill and convert in the same Night?A6: No, regardless of how many abilities the player has, they can still only take one Action each Cycle, going from Day to Night.

Edited by Wyrmhero

• Alvron locked this topic

No-one leaves this building until we have removed all stain of corruption from it. All other work is suspended. Do I make myself clear?”

Yes, Prelan,” they all said, through gritted teeth.

Good,” Waern smiled, “I look forward to seeing the Canton of Inquisition work.”

Armina surveyed the scene from the back of the room, her mind racing. So there was a spy here. A skaa, but still not to be underestimated, as Armina knew from her family's dealings with them. Everyone here would be locked in this building until they found whoever it was. If she caught whoever it was, that could be her ticket up, or maybe even back to Luthadel. And, most importantly, the Prelan wanted to rid this place of corruption. Armina could already nominate a few people to be eliminated. Like that blasted narcissist Locke, for instance. Even if he might not be corrupt, per say, he definitely didn't deserve getting promoted over Armina.

Armina smirked. It seemed like her prayers to the Lord Ruler had finally been answered.

Guess I'll kick this off. @Wyrmhero, just to confirm, if we lynch no one today, the Traitors won't automatically win, correct? Just asking because this wording is ambiguous enough to make me worry:

The Traitors win if they have the capability to prevent the Obligators from getting a successful lynch again, usually by the Traitors outnumbering the Obligators.

If so, I'm going to advocate a No Lynch. With only the Seer right now, there's a 96% chance of us killing an innocent, who could very well be an asset for the Obligators later. I would say we should use this day to find allies and network information while the Tineye(s) are still around, but there's an obvious risk of anyone being turned evil, so caution may be best. In the end though, it's your decision.

Personally? Instead of playing the boring, safe route, I'm going to announce that anyone who contacts me in PM and reveals their role to me will get mine in return. Or if it makes you more comfortable, ask me to reveal it first. The only condition is this: I will never share the role of another player, and I expect you to do me the same courtesy. Sound fair?

Oh. And just so the Seer doesn't get the bright idea of converting me for information, let's agree to lynch me on... D3. That should be enough time to accomplish my goal.

Just now, Amanuensis said:

Guess I'll kick this off. @Wyrmhero, just to confirm, if we lynch no one today, the Traitors won't automatically win, correct? Just asking because this wording is ambiguous enough to make me worry.

It's just to give me leeway to call the game early if the Obligator side has a large number of inactives, or if the Traitors have enough emotional Allomancy to consistently swing the vote in their favour. A failed lynch does not lead to an Eliminator victory.

1 minute ago, Wyrmhero said:

It's just to give me leeway to call the game early if the Obligator side has a large number of inactives, or if the Traitors have enough emotional Allomancy to consistently swing the vote in their favour. A failed lynch does not lead to an Eliminator victory.

Perfect. Thanks :D

14 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

If so, I'm going to advocate a No Lynch. With only the Seer right now, there's a 96% chance of us killing an innocent, who could very well be an asset for the Obligators later. I would say we should use this day to find allies and network information while the Tineye(s) are still around, but there's an obvious risk of anyone being turned evil, so caution may be best. In the end though, it's your decision.

I feel like that might be a good idea for today, but just for today. After that it might be a good idea lynch someone so the game won't lose its momentum.

@Wyrmhero, will conversions be announced in the writeup?

8 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

Guess I'll kick this off. @Wyrmhero, just to confirm, if we lynch no one today, the Traitors won't automatically win, correct? Just asking because this wording is ambiguous enough to make me worry:

Honestly don't see what we would get from no lynch. 96% chance to hit villager not gonna decrease fast, cycle 2 it will be 91% on cycle 3 86%(so not big difference or you propose to stay without lynch for all this time?)... also lynch don't makes any trouble with "finding allies and information network".

Also at my note most cycles without lynches or with early bandwagon usualy have no discussion, so I don't understand what you trying to get from no lynch.

Coinshots, Rioters, and Soothers are most likely to be targeted for conversion, so I suggest that these roles be particularly careful in protecting their identities. This applies to Seekers as well by virtue of their ability to hunt down the former three.

19 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

If so, I'm going to advocate a No Lynch. With only the Seer right now, there's a 96% chance of us killing an innocent, who could very well be an asset for the Obligators later.

If you take the Thugs into account, the chances are lower than 96%. Even then, your point about probably hitting a villager still stands, but I disagree that this means we shouldn't lynch anyone. The only reason that the likelihood of hitting a villager would go down is if the elim team starts growing, and why give the elims that edge? At the end of the day, we want a high village:elim ratio. If we don't kill anyone, that ratio is guaranteed to go down. If we do, it's likely to go down, but not guaranteed, and we'll get information that we can use long-term.

@Wyrmhero Do the elims have a doc?

24 minutes ago, Arinian said:

Honestly don't see what we would get from no lynch. 96% chance to hit villager not gonna decrease fast, cycle 2 it will be 91% on cycle 3 86%(so not big difference or you propose to stay without lynch for all this time?)... also lynch don't makes any trouble with "finding allies and information network".

Also at my note most cycles without lynches or with early bandwagon usualy have no discussion, so I don't understand what you trying to get from no lynch.

It may not decrease fast, but with a single eliminator, pursuing a lynch gets them closer to their win condition without having them having to make any effort, except in the unlikely chance they get lynched today. In which case they would survive anyway, claim Thug, and we'd have to shoot them with a coin and/or lynch them the next day. If they die then, that means they only converted one other person, and this game continues to be a case of finding a needle in a haystack. Personally, I would much rather let the Seer recruit at least two players before we really start hunting them, that way whoever is still alive can look for connections, slips, lies, etc, to narrow down the whole crew. I'm also of the opinion that discussion isn't very helpful when 24 of 25 people are the same alignment. Most "suspicions" people get today aren't going to be well-founded or accurate, let alone get anyone anywhere expect for the enemy.

If people want to lynch someone, by all means, feel free :P I'm not willing to vote for anyone until D3 and I'll be voting for myself on that day, though.

Edited by Amanuensis

“No-one leaves this building until we have removed all stain of corruption from it. All other work is suspended. Do I make myself clear?”

“Yes, Prelan,” they all said, through gritted teeth.

“Good,” Waern smiled, “I look forward to seeing the Canton of Inquisition work.”

Variel sighed, looking at the other obligators in the room. He couldn't believe that there was actually a skaa rebel amongst them. He was new and wasn't very familiar with many of the obligators here, but they had all seemed nice to him and didn't seem any different from any other nobleman or noblewoman he'd seen before. This skaa rebel must be really good at hiding if they managed to fool everyone here. 

Maybe this was his chance though. If he could help root out the skaa, then maybe, just maybe, he could go to Luthadel. He'd finally be able to make his father proud, and maybe even help out his house, which hadn't been doing so well lately. But that was a problem for later, as for now he needed to focus on finding the skaa.

~~~~~~~

I don't really have much to say about what we should do yet as the game just started (thanks, captain obvious). I will say that I think we probably shouldn't lynch anyone this first round. Partly because it'd suck if we managed to kill the Seer right away (EDIT: I keep forgetting the Seer doesn't die on the first kill attempt), but mostly because I agree with Aman. Lynching someone won't give us very much valuable information. We should wait and see how this first cycle plays out then decide on a lynch target.

I'm open to change my mind later, but I'm not voting for now.

Edited by StrikerEZ

3 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

It may not decrease fast, but with a single eliminator, pursuing a lynch gets them closer to their win condition without having to make any effort, except in the unlikely chance they get lynched today. In which case they would survive anyway, claim Thug, and we'd have to shoot him with a coin and/or lynch the next day. If he dies then, that means he only converted one other person, and this game continues to be a case of finding a needle in a haystack. Personally, I would much rather let the Seer get at least two members on his team before we really start hunting him, that way whoever is still alive can look for connections, slips, lies, etc, to narrow down the whole team. I'm also of the opinion that discussion isn't very helpful when 24 of 25 people are the same alignment. Most "suspicions" people get today aren't going to be well-founded or accurate, let alone get anyone anywhere expect for the enemy.

If people want to lynch someone, by all means, feel free :P I'm not willing to vote for anyone until D3 and I'll be voting for myself on that day, anyway.

If I'm understand rules right Seer will stay alive till have atium beads and normal elim team for 25 players is 5 elims so Seer on my guess have atleast 3-4 atium beads and so he\she not gonna die from 2 lynches so I don't think you should be scared of haystack and needles in them, atleast if we will be very lucky there will be 2 needles in our "haystack".

Everything else is subjective. I think that if we will agree with your advice about no lynch there just would be 2 cycles of RP or 2 cycles of nothing and after that it would be not much easier to find elims then right now. You undoubtebly right about part that it's much easier to find elims through connections, but idea of doing nothing for 2 cycles not pleases me.

I'll support a no lynch for this cycle, but not next cycle, because we need information. 

@Arraenae, is there a reasoning behind your vote? Did you choose based on RNG? Does @Orlok Tsubodai have a defense against this accusation? 

I'm making the same offer as Aman. Anyone who pm's me with their role will learn my role in return. I won't share your role, and I hope you won't share mine. 

52 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

Personally? Instead of playing the boring, safe route, I'm going to announce that anyone who contacts me in PM and reveals their role to me will get mine in return. Or if it makes you more comfortable, ask me to reveal it first. The only condition is this: I will never share the role of another player, and I expect you to do me the same courtesy. Sound fair?

Oh. And just so the Seer doesn't get the bright idea of converting me for information, let's agree to lynch me on... D3. That should be enough time to accomplish my goal.

The first thing I'd say, @Amanuensis, is that I think that making any single player a hub of information would be a counterproductive idea. At present, if people do contact you, you're a likely convert for the seer on turn 2. Whilst you'll be lynched the following cycle, the information you'd give the seer would provide them a markedly clearer view of the game. Certainly were I the seer in this situation, I'd accept the loss of one atium to either gain knowledge of valuable roles, or to significantly narrow down the list of potential locations of valuable roles.

A slightly paranoid part of me is of the view that it's entirely possible that you are the Seer yourself, and that you have, say, four beads. Announcing that you plan on dying D3 provides justification for the lack of an attack on you beforehand, and gives you converts on N1, N2, and N3, before we lynch you D4, whilst simultaneously leading to two days of limited productive discussion.

If you are village, I think you'd be more useful analysing the game over a longer period of time than becoming a short term hub of information.

I'd quite like to here your explanation of why you think that giving you information whist planning to kill you is a good idea.

20 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

It may not decrease fast, but with a single eliminator, pursuing a lynch gets them closer to their win condition without having them having to make any effort, except in the unlikely chance they get lynched today. In which case they would survive anyway, claim Thug, and we'd have to shoot them with a coin and/or lynch them the next day. If they die then, that means they only converted one other person, and this game continues to be a case of finding a needle in a haystack. Personally, I would much rather let the Seer recruit at least two players before we really start hunting them, that way whoever is still alive can look for connections, slips, lies, etc, to narrow down the whole crew. I'm also of the opinion that discussion isn't very helpful when 24 of 25 people are the same alignment. Most "suspicions" people get today aren't going to be well-founded or accurate, let alone get anyone anywhere expect for the enemy.

If people want to lynch someone, by all means, feel free :P I'm not willing to vote for anyone until D3 and I'll be voting for myself on that day, anyway.

Whilst actually lynching players may not be useful, creating discussion through fear of a lynch is, and I'd argue that the loss of one or two players in order to encourage discussion is a worthwhile trade. Players' views, and how they evolve or are adhered to through the game seems to me to be the most effective way of finding eliminators, and I think that creating an incentive to discuss through using the lynch is a sensible measure to increase discussion.

29 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

As usual, the counter to this suggestion is that lynching gives us discussion, which helps with having information enough to establish a baseline for examining players' later actions. I'm not sure whether I think that's a strong enough argument to actually propose a lynch, but it does bear mentioning. 

Also, we haven't had something like that in ages - since Maill went away, I think? Should be interesting, I think. 

I'm unwell and in my last week of school before break, so I can't promise to be active in the first couple cycles, though I'll do my best. My activity should pick up markedly after that point.

6 minutes ago, Arinian said:

If I'm understand rules right Seer will stay alive till have atium beads and normal elim team for 25 players is 5 elims so Seer on my guess have atleast 3-4 atium beads and so he\she not gonna die from 2 lynches so I don't think you should be scared of haystack and needles in them, atleast if we will be very lucky there will be 2 needles in our "haystack".

Everything else is subjective. I think that if we will agree with your advice about no lynch there just would be 2 cycles of RP or 2 cycles of nothing and after that it would be not much easier to find elims then right now. You undoubtebly right about part that it's much easier to find elims through connections, but idea of doing nothing for 2 cycles not pleases me.

I respect your opinion ^_^ personally I'm not willing to lynch an innocent unnecessarily, but like I said, if enough people want to do it, I won't get in the way. My offer to trade roles, however, is my personal way of not doing nothing. I'm willing to explain why in PMs, too, but I'll keep my exact reasons outside of the thread.

EDIT: Orlok's a smart cookie, though, and seems to have figured out a part of my plan :P 

Edited by Amanuensis

Just now, Shqueeves said:

I'll support a no lynch for this cycle, but not next cycle, because we need information. 

@Arraenae, is there a reasoning behind your vote? Did you choose based on RNG? Does @Orlok Tsubodai have a defense against this accusation? 

I'm making the same offer as Aman. Anyone who pm's me with their role will learn my role in return. I won't share your role, and I hope you won't share mine. 

Oh no, it's just an RP vote. Before this game, I decided that Armina wouldn't like Locke (ambitious person and ambitious person, not a good combination). I'll probably retract my vote later.