Wyrmhero

This is pathetic. I'm in New Zealand, only able to connect sporadically when I'm on free WiFi and not doing other things, and I've been one of the more active players in this game...

I should've seen Aonar a while ago. When he voted on Lemon instead of Rae just to be contrary, but oh well. At least I caught Araris, even if there aren't enough active villagers to do any good with that.

Finale: Pragmatism

Waern looked over his desk at them, drumming his fingers as he thought about what to do. They looked so confident, and in truth they had every right to be. They outnumbered him, and there was no Allomancy to even the odds. On either side, really. Not unless Nickel got creative with some Soothing.

"This is... an awkward position we are in," Waern said with a sigh, finally. "Everyone knows it's you two - Well, everyone alive, at any rate," he corrected himself, "but we can't really do anything about you. I could threaten to turn you over to the Inquisition, but you would just kill me. Obviously, I'd quite like to prevent that. You have no real reason to keep me alive either, for that matter, which is something I would quite like to change."

"So what are you offering?" Hadrian asked.

"A truce," Waern said, though it hurt him to suggest it. "We can continue this merry dance for a bit longer, but all that will happen is that more people will die. Most likely people on my side. The intelligent thing to do would be to call an end to it now, while there are still people alive. We surrender; you win."

"Just like that?" Hadrian raised an eyebrow.

"Just like that," Waern nodded in agreement. "I have always prided myself on being a practical man. If fighting is sure to result in a loss, then it must be avoided if possible. We'll state that the state of emergency is over with, and the traitors have been cause. With Sheon's death, there are none left who would speak out against you. Perhaps they don't know, perhaps they don't care. Either way, the only ones willing to take action over this debacle are us three in this room."

"And what about Jaina? You expect her to remain silent?" Nickel asked.

"I've already dealt with her," Waern said, darkly. "Consider it a gesture of good faith. She will be implicated as the final member of the traitor's group, and the matter will be closed. We will forget this ever happened, and get on with our lives."

"What evidence do we have that you'll keep quiet though?" Hadrian asked. "All very well to say it's an amnesty for now, but what about tomorrow? Or next week?"

"We'll fashion a dead drop," Waern suggested. "If either party dies, or attempts to publicise what has happened this past week and a half, the incriminating evidence on that party will find its way into the hands of our higher ups. And I don't think they would be pleased with any of us if any of it became public. We would all be implicated and become wanted men, regardless of who broke the truce."

Nickel smiled a bit. "Ah yes. I don't think you want that being made public. We'd just be executed, but you'd be tortured first, wouldn't you?" He looked to Hadrian. "I think we can trust this amnesty."

"Sure?" Hadrian asked, still hesitant. "What about the atium we were given? From the vault, I mean?"

"Sell it," Waern shrugged. "A bit of creative accounting here and there, and I'll replenish our atium stock soon enough, with no-one any the wiser. As for the beads in your possession, I'm sure there's a black market somewhere around this city that will buy it. If not, at some point I will send you to another Dominance under the guise of being there for work, so you can find a better market."

"You've thought this through, haven't you?" Nickel said with a chuckle.

"It was an event I planned for from the start," Waern said. "Contingency plans are always useful. Besides, I feel goodwill towards you, after all this is done with. This whole event has brought to light a painful thorn in my side that I wasn't aware of, and then even better, it has also removed it in swift succession. It may not be due to you two specifically, but I am feeling rather generous at present. So please, consider it - We call an end to it, and I swear of your innocence, or we see this through, the rest of us die, and you live out the rest of your lives wanted by the Inquisition."

Hadrian and Nickel considered the matter, and then both nodded. "Very well, we'll accept your terms."

"Good." Waern raised his hand across the desk, and shook both of their hands in turn. "I think that this will be the start of a very long and worthwhile friendship. And incidentally, if you haven't had your fulfillment of subterfuge and skullduggery, I might have an opportunity open for you in the near future..." There were some people back in Luthadel who had to pay for what they'd done to him. Perhaps he had found someone to help him with that matter. Internally he was seething, putting all his effort into maintaining the mask, but that didn't mean he couldn't spot potential assets all the same.

"We will consider it," Nickel nodded, as they both stood up from their chairs. "In the meantime, it has been a pleasure doing business with you sir."

"Yes, thank you sir," Hadrian said with a small bow, just enough to be polite, "for your generous terms."

"The pleasure is mine," Waern said, as he opened the door for them, ever the gracious host. He closed the door gently after they had left, and sat back down in his office chair. He was thankful that his office was soundproofed, as it meant that no-one could hear him swear.

The Eliminators win!

Eliminator Doc

Master Spreadsheet

Dead Doc

Spec Doc

Edited by Wyrmhero

Well Wyrm, thanks for running this! I know there were a lot of inactives, but we also had several cycles with good discussion, and I don't think anybody got lost in the rules. I think my only complaint is related to Orlok using blue text to drop out of the game.

Following discussions with Wyrm and Alv, the IM, I am dropping out of this game. I disagree vehemently with the type of manipulation I was subjected to, and feel taken advantage of to the point where I no longer wish to continue playing. I wish you all the best for the remainder of the game, and would thank Wyrm once again for such an excellent game, with a wonderful story.

The way this came out made it very clear that Orlok was a villager when he was a viable lynch target that day. I don't fully understand the context of why Orlok decided to leave, but I think it's somewhat gamebreaking to allow players to leave the game while essentially proving their alignment. That's what the lynch and other kills are for; removing a player and making their alignment known. I'm also interested in what other people have to say about this sort of thing.

For all the players that went inactive this game, I'd just like to ask you to find some part of these games that you enjoy, and focus on that. If it's RP, or PM schemes, or super long analyses, do you. And I'm pretty sure if you just play to have fun then staying active won't be too hard. Just keep your win condition in mind and think how you can help your team along the way, because we're all in this together (unless you're secretly a backstabbing Spiked or Skaa). I've realized that I need to stop trying to create new characters and just stick with what I know, so that I can write RP without having to create a new personality for a new environment every time I sign up for a game. The best games we have had have been combinations of all the things I mentioned above, not any one of them standing alone.

57 minutes ago, Araris Valerian said:

The way this came out made it very clear that Orlok was a villager when he was a viable lynch target that day. I don't fully understand the context of why Orlok decided to leave, but I think it's somewhat gamebreaking to allow players to leave the game while essentially proving their alignment. That's what the lynch and other kills are for; removing a player and making their alignment known. I'm also interested in what other people have to say about this sort of thing.

While I can understand your dislike of it as a move within the game, it should be noted that Orlok's dropping out was a protest move and not intended to help the Village. As a GM, I would never allow a player to drop out just to save the Village a lynch and prove their innocence; You are correct in saying that the lynch (and also Coinshot roles) are the way to prove innocence, and that the Village has to make use of the lynch or kill Role for that. However, having said that I agree with you that dropping out in such a way is gamebreaking, I also understand Orlok's reasoning and I quite possibly would have requested the same in his shoes. We allowed it in this case because it was very, very clear that Orlok was not doing it to gain an advantage for his side.

With regards to discussing Orlok's greviences, and why we let him drop out, I would prefer to take that off-thread for privacy reasons. There will be a PM going round at some point in the near future to all parties involved to discuss this.

I would have tried to be active, but honestly I was GMing so thank you for killing me. It allowed me to focus on writing up stuff for the MR, which was kind of important. 

I really don't know what happened in this game, because again, the GMing thing. 

It was definetly a cool set up, but inactivity... Yikes. It was bad for this game. 

17 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

It was definetly a cool set up, but inactivity... Yikes. It was bad for this game. 

Indeed. Normally I do a bit of post-game analysis, seeing which bit of the games worked and which didn't, but I think this time a fairly short summary is more appropriate.

1) The extra lives for conversions worked well and made people think about playing in different ways. This is good. The extra lives mean that people are happier to wait for more interesting potential converts, but at the same time, the Village is rewarded for finding the Seer early still.

2) At the end of the game, we had a 25% inactivity rate. That's more than the maximum number of Eliminators this game could have had (which would have been ~20%).

3) The Eliminators should not have won. Both DA and Araris tripped up, and in any other game it would have cost their team the victory. It's only due to point 2 that they still won.

I'm glad people enjoyed the game, as well as the story. However, from a GM's perspective, the inactivity rate in this game was very disheartening. At this ridiculously high rate, any attempt at balance goes out the window because the GM cannot plan for it, and arguably should not plan for it. We as a community need to figure this out, and if that means having smaller-sized, simpler and shorter games, then that's a perfectly good solution if it leads to better games.

I have had a few ideas which might lead to more activity within the games, and I've discussed them with Orlok and Wilson. Next time I GM (I believe it's an MR, which seems appropriate for these ideas), I will be using them, and it will be interesting to see what effect they have on the games...

Edited by Wyrmhero

• 2 months later...

Well folks, it's long, long, long past time we closed this game up.  Congratz to the Elims for the win and many, many thanks to Wyrm for GMing another of his games.

If anyone would like to try their hand at running a game, please get a hold of

Wilson, Orlok Tsubodai, Seonid or myself. Not only will we get you added to the list, but we'd also be more than willing to help out in any way we can.

You can also ask questions and get some hints and feedback from everyone over here in our Art of Game Creation thread as well. With all the games that we've run so far, we have plenty of experienced GMs that can help you refine any game you're thinking about!  If you would rather keep some detail secret or are self conscious about posting in thread (there's really no need to be, while we do slaughter each other, we are very polite about it), then I'm sure one of our fantastic committee members (Elbereth, Amanuensis, Aonar Faileas, A Joe in the Bush, and Stink) would be more than willing to help you out in private.

Thanks again to everyone that played and we look forward to killing seeing you in future games! :ph34r: