Dor powered... Hemalurgy? Feruchemy? I dunno.

Djarskublar

Working on the assumption that the bindpoints used in Hemalurgy are just physical locations that are related to a specific point of your spiritweb, rather than a creation of Hemalurgy, I have another of my signature crackpot ideas.

Using a piece of wood, so it definitely isn't hemalurgic, could you carve some Aon on it such that when the wood is placed on a bindpoint and the Aon is activated, you get some effect related to your spiritweb corresponding to that bindpoint? To clarify with an example, you are a pewterarm, and there is a pewter bindpoint in the earlobe (if that isn't the case, roll with it but tell me). If you put the right Aon there, could you push power through your web such that you use the Dor to either make it so you get the effect of burning pewter without burning any, or make any pewter burn you do more powerful?

Could it re-filter the power through the context of pewter allomancy to give you enhanced pewter. It would be a lot like a nicrosil tap, at least it is with how I envision it.

I'm going to assume I worded this horribly (even though I ran it by @Extesian in the discord first to try to make it sensible). If people don't get this at all, yell at me so I know which part(s) are broken. This is something I've never seen considered before, really.

I doubt it would be possible to get the effect of burning without burning.

Manipulation of the already existing part of the Spiritweb... maybe...?

This WoB (your WoB) makes me doubt it:

Djarskublar

So, say you have a gold/gold Twinborn and they worldhop to Roshar and they study the magic and do the whole Khriss and Nazh thing for a while so that they know a lot about the magic, but they've also left themselves a lot of options with what they can do. So then they manage to pull up a gold shadow of them having actually become a Surgebinder and then kind of meld themselves with that shadow a bunch, could they change their Cognitive Identity enough so that they could, like, tap a lot of Gold and grow the spren and actually be a Surgebinder?

Brandon Sanderson

Unfortunately, no. It's a good question, but no. That won't work for a couple of reasons. One of which is simply creating Investiture is not something that can happen, right?

Djarskublar

They are a gold Twinborn, so they can tap a lot of gold...

Brandon Sanderson

They can tap a whole bunch, that's true, they can do that, but simply having it is not gonna create a spren because the spren is from a different god, right, a different Shard.

Djarskublar

So if they had Regrowth cast on them, would that do it?

Brandon Sanderson

hems and haws for a second.

Djarskublar

A really, really big Regrowth like in the middle of a Highstorm.

Brandon Sanderson

Hmmm, this, you are getting to the realm of plausibility at that point. I still don't think gold is the way to do it. I think you just get all that Investiture. It would become sapient by you sticking a whole bunch of Investiture, and then you can bond to that. But it's not like people gain what you would have done. Does that make sense? That's just what's going to happen, is you're gonna, you can create a, potentially create a spren that way, but you are more likely to end up with something like Nightblood. But you could potentially create a spren, but I mean you're just gonna end up...

Djarskublar

So there are more optimal ways to do that?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, go bond a spren. (evil grin of course)

Djarskublar

But you can't easily bond multiple, and if you did this you could maybe get multiple.

Brandon Sanderson

Nyeaaahhh... The spren still has to choose. If you want to be a Surgebinder, the choice is being made. You can't fake your way into it. Decision and Honor are too much a part of Surgebinding for you to be able to fake your way into that. Other magics you might be able to do that. Other magics that don't require, like, Surgebinding works because a piece of Honor or Cultivation or a mix has chosen you specifically. There is will from the actual Investiture involved in it in Roshar.

Djarskublar

Okay.

Brandon Sanderson

So it's not something you can cheat your way into, right. But cheating your way into Breath might be easier, right.

source

and this one:

Questioner

Could a Forger re-write their history to adjust the kind of metal they burn as an Allomancer?

Brandon Sanderson

They could, but it actually wouldn't do anything, because the magic would not be able to replicate the other magic.

Questioner

So they would not be able to re-write history in the necessary way?

Brandon Sanderson

They would not be able to. I mean they could, but it wouldn’t have an effect, does that make sense? It would do nothing, it would be like you can create the stamp, the stamp would look like it was working but you just wouldn't end up with Allomancy.

[source currently forbidden]. It's Orem Signing from December 12th 2015.

I pulled the second WoB out of the WoBinator 4000, so you know...

I posted this on discord already because I saw your exchange with Extesian, but if your idea works I think your going to have issues with manipulation of the spiritweb. That I think are tied to the differences you see between Hemalurgy and Feruchemy. 

Feruchemy stores and alters a trait after it's been converted and expressed in the physical realm, but Hemalurgy adds to the Spiritual trait before translation (my opinion). So I think you'd be stuck boosting powers or you'd run into distortion problems. 

Because if you strengthen the trait of human strength in the spiritweb, your going to get something closer to a Koloss than just a stronger person. 

On 9/29/2017 at 6:21 AM, Overstorm said:

[source currently forbidden]. It's Orem Signing from December 12th 2015.

I pulled the second WoB out of the WoBinator 4000, so you know...

In the meantime, you could just link the transcript document itself like the rest of us plebs. :)
Orem Signing: Page 6 - [1:20:04] Entry.
Also, I'm gonna laugh so hard if The Project is actually called the WoBinator 4000...

1 hour ago, The One Who Connects said:

In the meantime, you could just link the transcript document itself like the rest of us plebs. :)

I could have, you're right. I usually have trouble finding those floating transcript docs.

1 hour ago, The One Who Connects said:

Also, I'm gonna laugh so hard if The Project is actually called the WoBinator 4000...

Then you're in for a good laugh... ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2017 at 5:49 AM, Calderis said:

I posted this on discord already because I saw your exchange with Extesian, but if your idea works I think your going to have issues with manipulation of the spiritweb. That I think are tied to the differences you see between Hemalurgy and Feruchemy. 

So if you were Hoid, who can manipulate his spiritweb somehow, do you think you could pull it off?

• Chaos locked this topic