[OB] Oathbringer chapters 13-15

Mestiv

11 minutes ago, Flywinged said:

Really? I just read this as she wasn't looking forward to having to use the blade. 

I may have jumped the gun a bit, But a statement like that, hidden around other tension from another event would fit well with the misdirection Brandon uses to foreshadow without us noticing lol. If we see any more like that we will know we need to pay more attention. For now probably best to wait for more evidence.

I just thought of something - the transformed Parshmen who are probably non-Voidbringers spoke in perfect Alethi. Probably because that's the only language they ever heard. But did they attune Rythyms? Do they even know about Rythyms? Can they speak without Rythyms?

I want to see what happens when a non-Voided Parshendi meets a non-Void transformed Parshmen.

My thoughts

1. Veil is back

2. Shallan's interesting way of dealing with truth

3. Urithiru's hallways are effecting Shallan

4. Pattern's chaperoning - Dividing by zero? - NO MATING

5. Parshendi either have new form, or workform

6. The yellow spren - Probably have one voidbringer with them

7. Cryptics sending another to bond

8. Shallan feels pain when holding the shardblade, unless she is someone else

Overall amazing chapters!

Noooo! My upvotes are out!!

Edited by 17th Splinter

4 minutes ago, Flywinged said:

I'm wondering if Zahel is going to make another appearance in this book. I'd be interested in seeing his interactions with Shallan. The Sprenblade concept reminds me a lot of the whole Nightblood thing... I wonder if he will avoid the radiants or embrace them because of that.

Nightblood was apparently inspired by Shardblades.

Just now, PunSpren said:

I may have jumped the gun a bit, But a statement like that, hidden around other tension from another event would fit well with the misdirection Brandon uses to foreshadow without us noticing lol. If we see any more like that we will know we need to pay more attention. For now probably best to wait for more evidence.

The problem is, Brandon's really good foreshadowing is obvious in retrospect but hard to catch beforehand, like that comment I quoted in WoR about the Parshmen only needing to walk away to cause devastation.  At the time, it just seemed like a comment to reinforce how bad things would be when the Parshmen became violent.

1 minute ago, Flywinged said:

I'm wondering if Zahel is going to make another appearance in this book. I'd be interested in seeing his interactions with Shallan. The Sprenblade concept reminds me a lot of the whole Nightblood thing... I wonder if he will avoid the radiants or embrace them because of that.

Nightblood was created as an attempt to replicate shardblades so it's no wonder they're similar.

Also, noting that the Patternblade is not as long as Shallan is tall, does this make Pattern the smallest shardblade?  Isn't Shallan on the shorter side, and most blades (albeit, dead ones) are about 2m long?

The Blade formed—a long, thin weapon nearly as tall as she was.

I checked Coppermind's Listener page and the only form described as having hair was nimbleform but the "Voidbringers" were described as having bulky frames so I'd say it's a new form.
Edit: This was meant to be in response to a post mentioning form but new messages came in, in the event it seems out of context.

Edited by Agent34

24 minutes ago, Stark said:

So, total thoughts:

I am unbelievably happy that not all listeners have gone dark side.  And that a non-red spren seems to be helping them.  I'm hoping that Kaladin helps these ones, and links back to the end of WoK when he told Dalinar that Bridge four would not fight them.  I want to see what happens here.  And that spren are helping them, that is huge.  And it seems like truespren, sapient in its own right if it is communicating and standing guard, so who is it bonding to?

Truespren? where is that mentioned?

Personally I think it is still a voidspren. The stormforms bonded with angerspren that is why they had red spren. I think a different voidform would have a different spren. But i still want a non voidbringer spren-bonded parshendi

3 minutes ago, Emerald101 said:

The really intriguing thing though, is what Shallan does in shifting persona. I'm not 100% sure if this is just a psychological shift, but her heart rate slows down as she does it, I think it may be a specialized use of transformation, in addition to the lightweaving she does. The way Adolin talks about respecting the blade and things is definitely a point in favor of Blade revival.

Speaking in general: it's worth remembering just how horrible killing her own mother was for Shallan. She didn't speak for 6 months and was close to becoming truly broken. This is not your common trauma. Now she can't hide from the fact of what she did so it's super painful for her to wield the blade again. It's her trauma in the flesh, basically. So it's no wonder that she's having a panic attack. If Adolin wasn't there she wouldn't even try to do this, but for his sake she effectively takes control by inventing a custom new persona for the task. The new persona isn't Shallan so doesn't have Shallan's fears. Or at least, that's what Shallan thinks, hence she can calm down.

So with regards to your specific suggestions: We have seen Shallan "Transformation" on others it seems but it hasn't really been defined. So I think this is a good suggestion. Is this another example of using Transformation on people? Going by how Brandon tends to setup his magic systems, perception makes a big difference. So how Shallan thinks of something makes a big difference. It would seem likely that it's much harder to transform people than objects (due to existing Investiture), so it's possible that using Transformation on people normally has very weak effects. So it could be just a mental trick or it could be enhanced but it would perhaps be too big a coincidence that Shallan has the Transformation Surge. I guess the question then becomes is just how typical this is of Lightweavers - is this normal or is it extreme?

Regarding Adolin I agree.

40 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

Shallan's adopting of the Brightness Radiant persona feels very much like Soulforging, from Emperor's Soul, 

I thought the same. The changes to Shallans personality seems like a magic of its own though it could be that unholy acting talent comes with her mnemonic abilities.

57 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

Also the chapter epigraphs appear to not be helpful 

None of them are. Theyre the first thing i read but I never learn anything....beyond that writing the book was totally neccessary....like for reals neccessary.

45 minutes ago, yulerule said:

So we basically get confirmation that some Parshmen transformed into non-Void forms. And that they have at least vague memories from slaveform.

Yep. Though truly I felt this would be the case when the description for the book indicated that the Parshmen would be awakened to the horrors of their enslavement.

Edited by Nymeros

All of Brandon's WoBs about Parshmen implied that the vast majority would turn into Voidbringers, and only those inside during an Everstorm MIGHT (small probability) transform into non-Void forms.

Also, the Everstorm keeps coming. It might transform more of the non-Void into Voidbringers every cycle. It still has red spren zipping around inside.

The descriptions of the Parshmen sounded a lot like Workform to me- stocky, hair strands, and it was one of the first forms the Parshendi discovered so it's probably simple.

I'm glad Kaladin has met them- he's in a unique position to understand them and possibly gain their trust.

I've always been pro-Adolin and Shallan more than others, but based on these chapters they really work. If they can talk and be honest with each other, they'd actually find they have more in common than they think.

Not to be crass... But given that spren come from the cognitive realm, and the cognitive realm is composed of the things people think about, and given the overwhelming popularity of sex in the real world...... I'm just saying, Spren shouldn't have much to be curious about, there's probably whole Shadesmar continents devoted to the subject o_0