Trying to decide a new series to start

guitarkhw

Trying to decide a new series to start after reading everything in Sanderson's cosmere universe. Heard Wheel of Time mentioned before and that Sanderson finished the last few books.

For those who've read both author's what are the similarities and differences in and Sanderson. How they tell the story, set it up and end the book. Worldbuilding, lore, history, and secrets. Magic, dark magic, and evil. Mystery, suspense, imagination, creative, and original. Layers to the story, deeper meaning, philosophical question.

A few things I like about Sanderson's style.
To me the ending of a book is one of the most important parts of the story and I've seen so many great starts to a book not able to deliver at the end. A big part of why I like Sanderson so much is his ability to hook you from the start with a bit of mystery, build up the suspense, and finish with a brilliant ending that always has surprises. I like that he tells the story so there is mystery and gives you clues, some obvious and some less obvious, so that your trying to connect the dots. There are layers to the story he tells and usually a deeper meaning and reason to why certain things are happening. He just tells really interesting stories and I usually forget i'm reading a story because I get so into it which is kinda rare for me. Maybe the best thing to me is the worlds he creates. I really get into the lore, myth, religion, and history because it's so original, creative, and well thought out and it is a big part of the story. Good, bad, and in between characters, but also characters that are more mysterious

Although Brandon says he received a lot of inspiration from WoT/Jordan as well as finishing the series I would not call the two authors similar if that is what you are primarily asking. Jordan is a little more meandering in his writing not that is necessarily a bad thing. As far as magic goes Sanderson takes almost a scientific approach in my opinion. There is support of physics in Sanderson's magic where the magic in WoT is more mystical (that may be a bad way to describe it but best I can come up with). The WoT is also very traditional in the way a young man has to become a hero and save the world. I think both are/were great at world building. Sanderson is a little better though the WoT world is plenty interesting and diverse. That being said I loved WoT. I was a Sanderson fan first and read WoT because he finished it. Fair warning it is a commitment and some of the books in the middle drag a bit. It is however a great and very big story. 

The two series I think most closely mimic Brandon's style are the Powder Mage Trilogy by Brian McClellan (fun fact he was a student of Brandon's) and the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks. I really liked both of these. 

Sanderson is largely unique in the ways you mentioned. I haven't found anyone who replicates his style, or even closely approximates it. This is why he's my favorite author. 

That said, the Wheel of Time is good if you're patient with some slowness and repetition, and really enjoy a very extensively built world with tons of detail. Jordan's ending may not be all you're looking for though if that's really important to you. 

• Chaos locked this topic