The most powerful cross system combos

Steeldancer

Mainly I will focus on metal born radiants. This is all totally speculation. 

My favorite is obviously a coinshot/steelrunner edgedancer  (or dustbringer). That would allow for essential compounding of speed, with infinite speed (up to the speed of light). Being a coinshot edgedancer also has another fun thing- instead of pushing off of things to get speed, they can push on surrounding metal to get their horizontal speed (instead of using it to fly). I like Steeldancer's power set for a reason :)

Another really powerful one would be a skimmer/windrunner. Being able to store their weight would give a windrunner much more versatility with their gravitation surge, including using a lot less storm light to fly. 

An elantrian doesn't really match up with any one metal born to make them a lot more powerful, but I imagine a duralumin misting would be able to have some fun. Just as aluminum doesn't just clear allomancy, duralumin shouldnt just boost allomancy. Therefore, I think a duralumin elantrian would be able to create a really powerful aon  (for a brief time). It would also pair well with any other investiture system, actually. As a result, nicrosil mistings would also be useful. 

I haven't figured out a way that nicrosil ferrings could get an edge in any other magic system, but I imagine there are some ways. 

While I didn't focus on the most powerful combinations but rather those fitting and complementing each other, I think this thread could be of help to you:
(especially since you mentioned two of the combinations that we have already listed, Feruchemical steel + Surge of Abrasion and Feruchemical iron and Surge of Gravity)

Edited by Overstorm

1 minute ago, Steeldancer said:

Oh that's the other one! The invincible healer! 

Gold compounding and a truthwatcher. Heals everyone, can't be touched. Freaking best healer powers ever. 

Even if you couldn't store Stormlight healing directly, you could pretty store a lot faster and let the stormlight keep you healthy in bursts. Even as a non-compounder I mean. Just F-gold. 

16 hours ago, Calderis said:

Even if you couldn't store Stormlight healing directly, you could pretty store a lot faster and let the stormlight keep you healthy in bursts. Even as a non-compounder I mean. Just F-gold. 

Actually, picture an F-Gold Windrunner out in the highstorm, carrying a couple of gemhearts, draining them full speed, using the stormlight to fly and heal, while filling a gold-mind at full speed.

On 9/22/2017 at 6:18 AM, Steeldancer said:

My favorite is obviously a coinshot/steelrunner edgedancer  (or dustbringer). That would allow for essential compounding of speed, with infinite speed (up to the speed of light).

This is actually reminds me of a question I had.  What are the limits of a steeldancer as opposed to a normal steel compounder.  Even though the former is not limited by friction, my understanding of feruchemy is that there is an investiture cost to compress an attribute, so eventually you'll reach a point where you can no longer go any faster.  Does anyone have a idea what this difference is between this limitation and the limitation of normal friction?  In other words, how fast could a steel dancer really go, conceivably?

Not sure this has been WoB'd but Elantrian / Duralumin feruchemist has some nice potential. Elantrians are some of the most powerful and versatile non-shard beings in the cosmere, and one with mobility around sel could be pretty insane.

btw, can you store breaths, stormlight, or power from the Dor in a nicrosilmind?

11 hours ago, ILuvHats said:

This is actually reminds me of a question I had.  What are the limits of a steeldancer as opposed to a normal steel compounder.  Even though the former is not limited by friction, my understanding of feruchemy is that there is an investiture cost to compress an attribute, so eventually you'll reach a point where you can no longer go any faster.  Does anyone have a idea what this difference is between this limitation and the limitation of normal friction?  In other words, how fast could a steel dancer really go, conceivably?

That is actually one of my questions I intend to ask next time I see Brandon. I keep a small list, and that's on it. 

I also have a question about shinovar, aluminum, and the Scar. 

On 9/22/2017 at 6:18 AM, Steeldancer said:

Mainly I will focus on metal born radiants. This is all totally speculation. 

My favorite is obviously a coinshot/steelrunner edgedancer  (or dustbringer). That would allow for essential compounding of speed, with infinite speed (up to the speed of light). Being a coinshot edgedancer also has another fun thing- instead of pushing off of things to get speed, they can push on surrounding metal to get their horizontal speed (instead of using it to fly). I like Steeldancer's power set for a reason :)

Another really powerful one would be a skimmer/windrunner. Being able to store their weight would give a windrunner much more versatility with their gravitation surge, including using a lot less storm light to fly. 

An elantrian doesn't really match up with any one metal born to make them a lot more powerful, but I imagine a duralumin misting would be able to have some fun. Just as aluminum doesn't just clear allomancy, duralumin shouldnt just boost allomancy. Therefore, I think a duralumin elantrian would be able to create a really powerful aon  (for a brief time). It would also pair well with any other investiture system, actually. As a result, nicrosil mistings would also be useful. 

I haven't figured out a way that nicrosil ferrings could get an edge in any other magic system, but I imagine there are some ways. 

Use a speed bubble to create aons in battle. Or draw on speed to do the samething. Also speed of mind when working on creating new aons. Also if you were to use determination to keep you on task and not get distracted. 

But i feel like having soulcasting and soulstamping would be interesting.

28 minutes ago, Betrail said:

Use a speed bubble to create aons in battle. Or draw on speed to do the samething. Also speed of mind when working on creating new aons. Also if you were to use determination to keep you on task and not get distracted. 

Steel Feruchemy (preferably compounding) would be the preferred option here. Your not contained by the bubble placement, and the the bubble boundaries interfere with investiture passing through, not just physical objects. 

A Steelrunner Aon user would be ridiculous assuming they knew the Aons well. 

On 9/23/2017 at 11:04 PM, asterion137 said:

btw, can you store breaths, stormlight, or power from the Dor in a nicrosilmind?

Breath: Yes, along with a KR tidbit

Question

Could Feruchemical Nicrosil be used to store other invested abilities, such as a Returned breath or the abilities of the Knights Radiant?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, that's possible

Stormlight: Yes, but with difficulty.

Q: Since Stormlight and Breath are both investiture, would it be possible to use Nightblood with the former rather than the latter? Would it be possible to store Stormlight in metal using Feruchemy?

A: Mixing the magics is possible, but some are easier and more natural than other. Feeding Stormlight to Nightblood is easy. Storing Stormlight in metal is tough.

The Dor is.. uncertain. I want to say no, but I can't really pin down why I think that.

Edited by The One Who Connects

Just now, Steeldancer said:

Connection. you would need connection for that to work, its location based, as I'm sure you know.

Not what I was implying, as you would have to have the existing connection to access the Dor to start with, and you can bypass the location limit by trying to store it while on Sel.

Oh.. Now I remember why. It's about how Nightblood needs to access the Dor.

I cannot find the entry yet(might be in Events and Signings)
But the gist was that an Elantrian would have to craft Aons and swing Nightblood through them in order to fuel Nightblood. (Meaning that the Dor coursing through their body was not accessible, which could hold true for F-Nicrosil)

I don't think you can jury-rig a Metalmind to do that.

58 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Not what I was implying, as you would have to have the existing connection to access the Dor to start with, and you can bypass the location limit by trying to store it while on Sel.

Oh.. Now I remember why. It's about how Nightblood needs to access the Dor.

I don't think you can jury-rig a Metalmind to do that.

I've... never seen that one before. That's so weird. 

Maybe you could do like a feruchemical fishing line coming off your head? 

• Chaos locked this topic