[OB] Oathbringer Kindle Edition Cover

The Invested Beard

Does anyone else think the cover makes the book seem too... YA? I mean, I don't hate it, but I wouldn't buy the kindle just to have this cover.

The traditional covers seem more epic. I think its the colors that throw me for a loop. Red and black just scream "LOOK AT ME I'M IMPORTANT AND COOL" (which, admittedly, certainly accomplishes what a cover is supposed to do). But I would rather have a cover that says "Hi. Yes, that wall is broken. Yes, I'm fixing it while floating in mid air. What's that? A monster behind me? Nah, that's just a walking target. Excuse my while I finish saving the world."

This cover makes me think, "Hi. I have a sword. It's used for stabbing. I like stabbing. You look like someone who needs to be stabbed."

Edited by Isaiah Zayth

2 minutes ago, The Invested Beard said:

I don't know that anyone knows for sure who it is.

I'm just stirring the pot. My guess is as good as yours. It'd be pretty cool if it was a Dustbringer. She's female.  Taravangian claims to have a female.   It looks like she burned some stuff. 

7 minutes ago, BlackYeti said:

Wait, you don't like it because it's Jasnah? You do realise that it's Jasnah on the American cover as well, don't you? You said that you liked that one after all.

Love Jasnah, hate the depiction of her on this cover (if that is indeed her). Love the depiction of her on the US cover. Also: just love Jasnah in general.

Sorry if I confused anyone.

3 minutes ago, Isaiah Zayth said:

Love Jasnah, hate the depiction of her on this cover (if that is indeed her). Love the depiction of her on the US cover. Also: just love Jasnah in general.

Well, it likely isn't anyone specific actually. According to @PeterAhlstrom, the UK covers are not meant to be a literal depiction of characters or events, rather,they are intended to set the mood of the book.

7 minutes ago, Aleksiel said:

It's not a bad cover, however if I knew nothing I would have expected the book to be about the woman on the cover seeking vengeance, which could make for a pretty cool story, but is far from the actual novel.

To be fair, this is book 3, so if you don't know anything about it, you shouldn't really be reading it. :)

Of course that does bring into question the quality of the Way of Kings' cover... I quite like the new one (the one at the top of my last post), however the original one (the post before that one) is, in my opinion at least, rather uninspired.

Being from the UK I always pay extra for Brandon's books to have the US versions shipped to me in part to avoid these black and red covers; though also to have whatever is on the inside covers with Stormlight Archive (e.g. the UK version of words of radiance didn't have the picture of Shallan or the coloured map of Roshar)

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

If it is Jasnah she soulcasted herself a hair straightener because she is described with having curly hair.  

Nah, I meant Brightness Radiant, though I doubt the cover has in-depth meaning if the previous Kindle covers are any guide.

• 2 weeks later...