Regarding the Trelagism/Purelake religion theories

First of all this is my first post, so hello everyone!

I was re-reading the first Mistborn trilogy and noticed the similarities between the Trelagist religion in MB and the religion of the Purelakers in SA.  I searched the forums and discovered I wasn't the first to notice these similarities (not by a long shot!). 

Everyone who believes the theory seems to think that Trell = Nu Ralik and Nalt = Vun Makak due to the Trelagists believing Nalt was jealous of Trel and the Purelakers believing Vun Makak is jealous of Nu Ralik.  However, there are a few details I didn't see anyone mention in any of the threads about the theory, and since they were all older threads I thought I'd start a new one rather than bumping.

First, the description of Trelagism on The Coppermind states:

Trelagists believed that night was sacred and daylight was profane. During the night, Trelagists were able to see the Thousand Eyes of Trell (the stars) watching over them, but during the day, Nalt, jealous of the worship given to his brother, would shine his single eye (the sun) on the land, blocking Trelagists from seeing Trell's eyes.

So Trell is linked to night time and the stars, while Nalt is linked to day time and the sun.

Meanwhile, in Ishikk's chapter in WoK, he thinks to himself:

He wore lake sandals on his submerged feet and a pair of knee-length breeches. No shirt. Nu Ralik forbid! A good Purelaker never covered his shoulders when the sun was shining. A man could get sick that way, not getting enough sunlight.

and

His foreigners were in the corner, at a table only they would choose—the one that was raised up an extra bit, with footrests so that the outsiders wouldn’t have to get their toes wet.  Nu Ralik, what fools! he thought with amusement. Inside out of the sun, wearing shirts against its warmth, feet out of the tide. No wonder their thoughts are so odd.

Given that it's mentioned twice in the same chapter, it seems that the Purelakers revere the sun and the day time, the exact opposite of the Trelagists.  This suggests that Nu Ralik is not Trell but Nalt, and that Vun Makak is actually Trell.  It makes sense that if two gods (whether they are shards or something else) were in competition with each other that the worshippers of each god would view their god favourably and the other god as being jealous.

So what do you think, is Trell Vun Makak, Nu Ralik or neither?  Or as someone suggested in one of the older threads, are all four the same person (possibly Autonomy)?

PALADIN BREWER

It there a link between Trell and Nalt from Mistborn and Nu Ralik and Van Makik from Stormborn?

BRANDON SANDERSON

"No, there isn't, maybe just tenuously." He said something like that. He seemed confused that I asked that.

Source.

Much has been theorized about this possible connection, but I think it is just a false positive. It makes sense to me that Shards in conflict would give rise to religions with brother-gods who are jealous of one another. 

EDIT: Oh, and welcome to the Shard, by the way! Always nice to have another theorizer in the mix!

Edited by Pagerunner

21 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

Much has been theorized about this possible connection, but I think it is just a false positive. It makes sense to me that Shards in conflict would give rise to religions with brother-gods who are jealous of one another. 

EDIT: Oh, and welcome to the Shard, by the way! Always nice to have another theorizer in the mix!

Thanks!

That makes sense with Odium vs Honor/Cultivation and Preservation vs Ruin.  I thought the common themes between the two cultures were pretty cool, especially given the connection to Whitesands (which, I must admit I haven't actually read yet), but it seems that WoB has indeed put that theory to rest.  It will be interesting to see how the new Harmony/Trell conflict plays out, whoever Trell turns out to be.

• Chaos locked this topic