Physical life after death.

Calderis

30 minutes ago, Quantus said:

So does that make the Cognitive Realm the built of pure investiture?  Half of me thinks that cant be right because the natives still trade and stockpile Investiture in Breaths and Stormlight; but the other part of me isnt even sure that the Physical realm itself couldnt be described as pure crystallized Investiture as well.

since in the cosmere matter, energy and investiture are the same stuff you could say that every realm is made up from it yes. But in RL we also distinguish between different types of energy and different forms of matter, so I guess in the Cosmere there should be a similar distinction. Since in the CR they trade stormlight aka one form of investiture without tangible form while being themselves splinters aka another form of investiture but with a tangible form that is touchable I would say the CR seems like a place were the differences between the states (matter, energy, investiture) become more vague.

In the PR the distinction is stronger. Both forms of investiture are more intangible there. 

1 hour ago, Quantus said:

So does that make the Cognitive Realm the built of pure investiture?  Half of me thinks that cant be right because the natives still trade and stockpile Investiture in Breaths and Stormlight; but the other part of me isnt even sure that the Physical realm itself couldnt be described as pure crystallized Investiture as well.

The way that I understand it, yes. I mean, everything we see there, including things we know, are just investiture, behaves like matter. 

Ok, so it's Investiture in the same way that all matter is technically just organized and/or crystallized energy, but it still takes steps and processes to actually access the Energy in a usable fashion just like Energy here.  The distinction between inert and Kinetic Investiture probably factors into that. 

• 4 months later...

Right, so bit of a necro, but I wanted to share a bit of an accidental possible connection I found. 

So if you'll recall, we had this scene in Oathbringer:

And sitting in a locked, glass-topped box, a long thin silvery chain. “You like?” the shopkeeper asked. She was made of vines—her face formed as if from green string—and wore a havah with a crystal safehand exposed. “Only a thousand broams of Stormlight.” “A thousand broams?” Kaladin asked. He looked down at the box, which was locked to the table and guarded by small orange spren that looked like people. “No thanks.” The pricing here really was bizarre.

I was doing completely unrelated theorycrafting on another fandom, and it involved some research into common themes in mythology. Which is when I came across this article on the significance of the Silver Cord. Well, why does that sound significant? Let's see what the article says about the silver cord:

The silver cord in metaphysical studies and literature, also known as the sutratma or life thread of the antahkarana, refers to a life-giving linkage from the higher self (atma) down to the physical body. It also refers to an extended synthesis of this thread and a second (the consciousness thread, passing from the soul to the physical body) that connects the physical body to the etheric body, onwards to the astral body and finally to the mental body.

Am I the only one who sees the similarities between this description and Sanderson's Three Realms? Could it be only a coincidence that Sanderson described the chain as "long, thin and silvery", with no knowledge of the concept of the silver cord - which is something that you might expect him to be familiar with, given his background? My mind immediately linked the silver cord to this theory. A means of connecting the mental body to the physical body.

Well, it may turn out to be nothing. But I think it's food for thought nonetheless.

Edited by Vissy

• 9 months later...
28 minutes ago, Karger said:

My only real question is what happens to the poor guy Kel spiked physical connection out of?  Did he(or she I suppose) just loose any connection with their body and die as a result?

It's Hemalurgy to steal their Physical aspect... I mean... Death seems pretty much assured. 

27 minutes ago, Calderis said:

It's Hemalurgy to steal their Physical aspect... I mean... Death seems pretty much assured. 

So Kel had Spook murder someone?  Spook agreed to this?

Edited by Karger

• Chaos locked this topic