Salt Lake Comic Con 2017

Lurcher

This upcoming weekend is Salt Lake Comic Con and Brandon is planning to be there all 3 days. He announced this on his site yesterday, but some signing times just got posted sometime overnight: https://brandonsanderson.com/salt-lake-comic-con-ldsppa/

Panel and WoB's

Brandon did some non-spoiler Q&A and then read the first little bit of The Apocalypse Guard. That audio can be found here:

https://goo.gl/qCtFfe

Thursday Signing Line:

Spoiler

[00:14:19]

Questioner

How accurate is the Vorin version of the afterlife?

Brandon Sanderson

How accurate is it? Well, the thing I'm not doing is confirming or denying, right? Like, afterlife in the cosmere, you have seen that as a person there, I would believe that there is an afterlife, and things like this. I would say the Vorin one is *inaudible* by many people all around.

[00:18:11]

Questioner

How do they handle, like, trash and bathrooms in the Purelake? How does that work?

Brandon Sanderson

Fortunately, you have a couple of things going on here. You fortunately have low population. You have highstorms and driving and... so, the waste is broken down really easily. The trash is a problem. But it's a pre-industrial society, so the trash is not stuff that doesn't ever biodegrade, and things like this, and you do have traders going through, and things like this. So, it all kind of works out. It's the low population that's really helping with a lot of this. It's not as bad, a big a deal as you would think it is.

All of Roshar has a slight issue in that you just can't bury things, but you do have the crem that comes down and hardens around things and creates a layer of stone, and things like this. In my opinion, the way I've worked it out, it all just kind of works out just fine.

It's no bigger a deal in the Purelake, in other words, than these other places. In fact it's kind of a smaller deal. Like, you might ask, like, traveling out on the Greatshells in the Reshi Sea, they would have a harder problem in some ways, 'cause they have a tight population density on top of something that they also can't bury anything, and stuff like that. I just had to work out the ecology of the system to work.

[00:29:58]

Questioner

Is Marsh happy?

Brandon Sanderson

Marsh is Marsh's version of happy.

Questioner

I'm just worried about him.

Brandon Sanderson

He has never been a happy person. But he's in a better place now than he's been in other times of his life.

There's a part of Marsh that really likes skulking around and being an incarnation of Death in peoples' minds. He's not really one, but you know what I mean? There's a part of him, the part that's related to his brother, that really digs that, even if he would never admit it.

[00:33:49]

Brandon Sanderson

When I write a fourth book, it'll be a Mizzy book.

[00:37:21]

Questioner

Speaking of Way of Kings, when Shallan gets to Kharbranth, she sees two people in trenchcoats. Is that anyone spectacular or important or anyone like that?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO.

Questioner

That's what I figured. I was hoping...

Brandon Sanderson

There might be things in that scene. I won't confirm or deny any specific instances of them.

[00:43:07]

Questioner

Have the Parshendi been to Scadrial during the Wax & Wayne books?

Brandon Sanderson

So, the Parshendi as a group have not. I will not confirm or deny if individuals have been. Wax & Wayne books take place after Stormlight Archive books 1 through 5.

[01:19:39]

Questioner

"Most important words" that Dalinar had to say, were they the Words of Radiance?

Brandon Sanderson

You're gonna have to Read And Find Out. That one's not answered yet.

[01:27:01]

Questioner

Are the Heralds from Roshar originally?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO.

[01:35:19]

Questioner

You now how Wax has control of his Steelpushes? Well, if someone has an Ironpull ability, can get practiced enough to, in the Wax & Wayne era, swing through downtown Elendel Spiderman-like with controlled ironpulls?

Brandon Sanderson

I've actually thought about that, and I went away from it, just because of Spiderman. I have to be really careful that I just don't go Spiderman-y. But I would say it's an in-world possiblity that someone could do that, and it wouldn't be that hard if you've got the buildings. The trick is, most downtowns are not tall enough, and I would say in Elendel even now, there aren't enough skyscrapers that you could really go full-on Spiderman. But if you could, if you were, like, downtown Manhattan, you could do it.

[01:36:44]

Questioner

Are all Truthless given Honorblades when they're cast out, or is Szeth a special case?

Brandon Sanderson

Szeth is a special case.

[01:36:55]

Questioner

Are Shin who are not Truthless allowed to use the Honorblades?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

[01:45:01]

Questioner

After Kaladin challenges Amaram, and he gets thrown into prison, are those incarcerationspren that he gets stuck with?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. I'm being recorded, so I have to know if I want to canonize this. Yes. There's nothing more to it than that, I'm just not sure if I've been asked that question straight-up before. I just want to make sure that I've got the name right.

[01:45:42]

Questioner

When Syl is talking to Kal, and Kal just crunched up the leaves, and she says, "Is it the heart of a beetle that you have hidden in your hand?" Is that what she's talking about?

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, the Sleepless? No, that is coincidence. Good question. Not a Sleepless question.

[01:49:49]

Questioner

Is Scadrial losing mass when people burn metals?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, technically it is, but Investiture is another dimension to matter.

Questioner

So it doesn't lose mass, it becomes Investiture?

Brandon Sanderson

It becomes Investiture. Basically, when you go into the cosmere... we've got matter, we've got energy here. You've got matter, energy, and Investiture there, and you can get things out of Investiture back into matter, and stuff like that. There's always energy, there's entropy, there's always diffusement... it's basically, add to the laws of thermodynamics a third item, and that's how we word it.

[01:54:27]

Questioner

I was just wondering if a Shard's Intent can change over time without changing holders?

Brandon Sanderson

The holder can have a slight effect on how the... a big effect big effect on how the Intent is interpreted, but what the Intent is stays the same. So it's gonna be filtered. The way it manifests can change, and you'll see that happening, but it is the same Intent. When it was broken off, it took a certain thing with it.

[01:55:41]

Questioner

I kinda got the sense, like, Spren... Did you base them off of quantum mechancis?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, there's some quantum mechanics and some Japanese shinto rammed together in there.

[01:56:18]

Questioner

My son wants to know if Hoid is a dragon.

Brandon Sanderson

He is not. But he knows some.

[01:56:26]

Questioner

I want to know if Kelsier and Hoid will ever get along?

Brandon Sanderson

They, uh... that's a RAFO, but I wouldn't hold my breath. There are mashing of egos that just don't mesh well going on there.

Questioner

How long will Kelsier's story go?

Brandon Sanderson

Kelsier's story has some more stages to it. I'm gonna RAFO that. But the stuff that's happening right now is set up for a later story.

[01:57:07]

Questioner

Does Wayne ever get married? Does he ever feel redeemed?

Brandon Sanderson

I'm not gonna answer that one for you. That's a definite RAFO. Boy, it... you'll have to see. Getting Wayne into a committed relationship with someone else who wants to be in that relationship would be a big first step. And let's just hope he can someday do that.

[01:57:46]

Questioner

Do all the other Smedrys get their Talents back?

Brandon Sanderson

You're gonna have to see. You've seen the, uh...

Questioner

Yeah, I did.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, yeah. One more book coming. It will answer that.

[02:04:11]

Questioner

When are we gonna get more books in Wax & Wayne?

Brandon Sanderson

There will be one more, and it will be my next book I'm writing next year. Once I finish Apocalypse Guard, I'll write it next year. So just watch a percentage bar on my website, it will tell you when it's gonna come out.

[02:07:55]

Questioner

What would a Cognitive Shadow see if they saw Szeth?

Brandon Sanderson

If they saw Szeth? They're going to see his soul kinda trailing along behind him. It's gonna be really freaky to them.

[02:08:35]

Questioner

Is Calamity the last book in the series?

Brandon Sanderson

I have a plan to do a book about Mizzy. But before I do that, I am writing a book called The Apocalypse Guard, which takes place in the alternate dimension that Megan sees into in these books. So, you should enjoy those. They'll be kinda the same style, but different characters from the alternate dimension. They're a blast, I just finished the first book.

[02:24:03]

Questioner

How many Shards have been Splintered, besides the four we know?

Brandon Sanderson

You're gonna make me canonize this? I can't canonize this. There's a couple that I'm just kind of...

Questioner

Odium, Endowment, Devotion...

Brandon Sanderson

Okay, Odium has not been Splintered. Endowment and Devotion have been Splintered... Endowment hasn't been Splintered, sorry. Dominion and Devotion have been Splintered. I've confirmed that one other has been Splintered. And then Honor has been Splintered. Those are your four that I've canonized. The other one is, I don't know if I've mentioned who exactly it is, but it's not one that you've seen on one of the planets.

Yeah, I'm not gonna canonize it, exactly how many there are. Because there are things going on in the cosmere that I wanna settle down and decide on once I get to it, exactly what. And Splintering can be a vague term sometimes, too. So that's a RAFO.

[02:32:27]

So, if Nightblood, unsheathed, killed someone, would their soul still go to the Beyond?

Brandon Sanderson

So, that's gonna be a matter of... there's gonna be disagreement in the cosmere about that. Nobody has been able to actively test it, because there are certain things you can see, but there are people who are actively discussing this concept.

Questioner

So, no one knows for sure?

Brandon Sanderson

Nobody knows for sure. And I'll just leave it at that. It's an astute question that even Vasher has... Vasher has his thoughts, but he doe snot have a definitive answer, and others disagree with him.

[02:33:27]

Questioner

Do we get to see more Vasher in Stormlight.

Brandon Sanderson

Um, yes. So, you're gonna see a little bit in the next book. There will be a point where you'll see some more, but it's a ways off.

[02:40:36]

Questioner

What was your hardest character to kill?

Brandon Sanderson

Oh. That's spoileriffic. I would say it's a character who dies at the end of the Wheel of Time, which is a series that I finished for another author. Because it was someone someone else created. And then, having to write some of those scenes.

Questioner

That would be really hard, because you're killing somebody else's character.

Brandon Sanderson

Right? And somebody I grew up with, right? So, I would say those are the hardest guys.

[02:44:54]

Questioner

So, Hoid was there during the Shattering of Adonalsium. Odium is going around, like, destroying other Shards. We know that Hoid is collecting and has pieces of some of the other Shards.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

Hoid was there at the original Shattering of Adonalsium. Is there an echo of the original Adonalsium in Hoid?

Brandon Sanderson

Uh, that's a RAFO. Here's your card. But it is a valid theory.

Questioner

I have a two-parter on that.

Brandon Sanderson

You can ask me the next part, but it is a RAFO.

Questioner

Is his end goal trying to join as many pieces of Adonalsium together to *inaudible*

Brandon Sanderson

Um, that, I will give a "that's a very good guess." And that is what the books seem to indicate is happening.

[02:46:51]

Questioner

So, it's not a "why." But how in the world did Vasher get to Roshar. Because I know about Kelsier not being able to really travel too easily outside of his realm, so how did this happen?

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, yeah, you're asking, because he's heavily Invested, with Investiture from uh... yeah. So that's actually a RAFO. I thought you were going to ask a much easier question, this is a much harder question. It's a RAFO that I promise to answer. The books will dig into it, okay?

[02:48:13]

Questioner

So, are *inaudible* and *inaudible*, two different people? Are they the same person?

Brandon Sanderson

They are different people. Good question. They do have very similar names. That happens a lot among the Shin, and I'm trying to make it not confusing, but I can't promise it won't be. There are a lot of similar names, and a lot of people are named similar ways, and things like that.

Friday Signing Line:

Spoiler

[00:12:53]

Questioner

Do you already know how the Stormlight Archive is going to end?

Brandon Sanderson

I do!

Questioner

Do you have all the details in mind, or do you just kind of have a general idea and you figure it out as you go?

Brandon Sanderson

So, I'm a planner. I tend to like having a pretty detailed plan. For something like the Stormlight Archive, that generally kind of boils down to: the next book has a five page plan, the book after that has a three page plan, the book after that a two page plan, one page, one page, and the last book we go back to a five page plan. So there is lots of wiggle room in one of these outlines, but at the same time, I've got touchstones and things I know I'm writing toward.

[00:15:21]

Questioner

How long until the next Rithmatist?

Brandon Sanderson

Um, that's the slow one. Stormlight 3 taking as long as it has, that's what it has slowed down. I keep saying it's only gonna be a couple years, but... I don't know, honestly.

My goal is to start closing up some of theses series in the next couple of years, so I'm hoping to finish off the Legion trilogy and Wax & Wayne next year, and just start closing some things off.

[00:17:20]

Questioner

With the Kaladin soundtrack, how similar is that going to be to other studios, like Two Steps from Hell, audiomachine?

Brandon Sanderson

Hopefully fairly similar. Two Steps from Hell tends to go a little harder than I think most of this album is going to be. I love it, but every one of them is, like, trailer music. That's what Two Steps from Hell is, right? And I think you'll find a few more quieter pieces on the Kaladin album, but that's what we're shooting for, a symphonic album like that.

[00:24:55]

Questioner

Do you know if anyone is planning on writing any more about Alcatraz's story? Maybe not Alcatraz?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, one person. Bastille has refused to let it end. Alcatraz tried to end it in the most awful way possible, intentionally, so she's not gonna let him get away with that.

[00:27:03]

Questioner

My friend is mad at you about the last of the Librarians series.

Brandon Sanderson

Okay, well, it's not the last. Because, *indauble* the page at the very end end, some people missed, another character... Alcatraz wrote the last one, another character refused to let be the ending. She is going to write an actual last book. There's a last page hidden in there.

[00:32:15]

Questioner

Where did you come up with the idea for spren?

Brandon Sanderson

So, the spren are based a little bit on Platonic philosophy, and a little bit on Shinto philosophy. And it's kind of a melding of those two concepts.

[00:35:26]

Questioner

Did the Lord Ruler ever have any children?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, he did.

[00:39:28]

Is [Nightblood] like, the Shardblades, kind of thing?

Brandon Sanderson

It is. So, what happened is: Vasher, who was involved in the creation of Nightblood, visited Roshar and came back with this knowledge, and they tried to create something.

Questioner

So he based it off those?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. And they got it kind of right.

[00:40:50]

Questioner

Are there every any Coinshots or Lurchers that get motion sick?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, that does happen. It's kind of like being left-handed in Roshar. There are certain things that are not a good match.

[00:50:08]

Do you purposefully take ideas from the Book of Mormon and turn them inside out, on their head, so no one knows where you go the ideas from? Like when you have Kelsier saying, in this moment, and he defeats the Lord Ruler, just Ruler's top of the city, and like how in the Book of Mormon when the La-āmanites, associate with Zaraellmə-ī, because no one else can see it coming?

Brandon Sanderson

So, I don't intentionally take, usually, from the Book of Mormon. There's a lot of unconscious things coming out. The only thing you can say is that I based The Way of Kings a little bit on King Benjamin's speech.

[00:55:27]

Questioner

The first Returned. Was he actually the first?

Brandon Sanderson

He is not the very first person to Return. The lore surrounding Vasher and the first Returned and things like that is not strict on the world. Meaning, it's been many, many years.

[00:57:16]

Questioner

So, the end of Bands of Mourning. When Harmony is showing Wax, kind of, what's going on outside the world. Is that Odium?

Brandon Sanderson

That's a RAFO. Here's your card.

[00:58:35]

Questioner

I'm curious. Are any of those rare metals from Mistborn on any other world?

Brandon Sanderson

So, not those exact metals, unless they've been taken off-world. But there are other metals like them that you could find.

Questioner

So they could have Allomantic lore?

Brandon Sanderson

They theoretically could.

Let's just say it's not a coincidence that you find Investiture manifesting as metal on other places. Such as Shardblades, as well.

[01:01:51]

Questioner

What is your favorite class of Knights Radiant.

Brandon Sanderson

Ooh, probably... see, that's hard. I like them all. I would probably, if I were to choose one for myself, probably choose Bondsmith.

[01:03:14]

Questioner

When were you planning on having the fourth Wax & Wayne book?

Brandon Sanderson

So, it'll be the next Cosmere book I write. I probably won't get to it until earlier next year. So well see when the publisher decides to publish it after I turn it in.

[01:10:24]

Questioner

I am assuming in the next [Elantris] book, you plan on addressing the bad guy of Fjordell?

Brandon Sanderson

Wyrn? The next book will take place in Fjordell. It focuses mostly on Kiin's family, that's Sarene's uncle. They are the main characters in that one.

Questioner

Do you plan on keeping most of those characters? Like Raoden, Galladon?

Brandon Sanderson

You will see of them, but it's kind of more of an Anne McCaffrey style sequel. In this one, new main characters, with the old ones a little more in the background.

[01:11:54]

So, I loved your Shadows for Silence story. It was just so creepy, and I like how you included the family history aspect of the name. Do you think you'll write another story in that world?

Brandon Sanderson

I will.

Questioner

I am so excited! It was really cool to see you write a more creepier story than your other books. I really liked that change.

Brandon Sanderson

It is gonna be nice and creepy.

[01:21:41]

Questioner

So, you have this [Mistborn] trilogy, and then you have the trilogy coming after, and then...

Brandon Sanderson

Another trilogy.

Questioner

Another trilogy. Is there any sort of date or time?

Brandon Sanderson

No. The Wax & Wayne books will finish very soon. I'm working on the last one of those. So those two will be complete. Then it might be a little before I jump to a 1980s level.

[01:34:01]

Questioner

What's your favorite Magic color deck? Favorite combination?

Brandon Sanderson

I'm playing blue!

[01:35:11]

What inspired the sword stances in The Way of Kings? Windstance and stonestance...

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, it was old-school, what they call... the old books that you would see... sword training guides. Where you would see a guy in a stance, and then go like this, and things. I just thought they were really interesting, and I developed the stances around that.

[01:39:57]

Lurcher

I have a question on the recording, since that's mine. To clarify, we need to send it to Peter? The transcripts, or the audio?

Brandon Sanderson

The transcripts.

Lurcher

Of all three days?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. *inaudible*, they're gonna cut out almost all of this. Run it by him There's a question I'm trying to remember where I flubbed yesterday. I can't even remember what the question was. A lot of times, you're sitting here, and you're just, like, brain dead as people are coming through, and they say something and you're like "Yeah, uh-huh."' And then, you're like, "Wait, no. That's not even the question they asked." I'm pretty sure I got the important parts right, but send it through him. It's a practice that I want to get in the habit of doing.

And he sometimes will have all these things all in the notes, so he gets them, and can add them to make sure they're in the notes, for continuity and stuff.

[01:39:57]

Lurcher

In the battle of the Tower, Eshonai is fighting Dalinar, Dalinar removes his helm, and she recognizes him. She acts like she wants to speak with him. Possibly to negotiate. If Kaladin hadn't shown up and saved him, what would have happened?

Brandon Sanderson

There's a chance they would have worked it out. Not a really good one... but there's a chance.

[01:40:22]

Lurcher

Another what if. What if Kelsier hadn't scared Vin away when Hoid was... what information would he have told Vin?

Brandon Sanderson

So, he would not have revealed terribly much of use to her. He was there trying to find out things for him.

[01:40:43]

Lurcher

What would have happened if the Lord Ruler survived to take the power from the Well? Would he have tried to fixed Scadrial?

Brandon Sanderson

By that point in the Lord Ruler's life, he probably would not have. He would like the world where it is, and he was not 100% cognizant of how far he had fallen from his original ideas. So, it would not have been, I think, a good thing. It may have been not as bad as the disaster that followed, in fact I know it would not have been, but in the end, Scadrial needed to go through that eventually. So it would have just delayed that.

Lurcher

So, would he just kind of use up the power? Held it, and let it...

Brandon Sanderson

He would have done something with it. Maybe with the Southern Continent or something. But he wouldn't have fixed anything, he probably would have made things a little worse.

[01:41:32]

Lurcher

Can you burn a metal wrapped in another metal, if both are Allomantic? Like, the inner metal, could you just burn that before?

Brandon Sanderson

No, you're gonna have to work your way through the outer one.

Lurcher

And what if it was a non-Allomantic metal?

Brandon Sanderson

It's gonna depend on how thick it is, and stuff. But I would say, if you wrap it in a non-Allomantic metal, that's not good for getting to the metal. It's viable, but it just depends on how thick it is, and things like that. Like, sometimes things have been plated to keep the access to the metal off, but usually you would want to do that in aluminum, to make sure.

[01:42:15]

Lurcher

What happens when a Reshi island dies?

Brandon Sanderson

So, it becomes that big old shell, and eventually... shells, they last a long time, but people are gonna move off of it.

Lurcher

Will people try to get the gemheart?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, people will try to get the gemheart.

[01:42:34]

Lurcher

Reading Mistborn: Secret History, Kelsier sees fauna and flora in the Cognitive Realm. How does that work, are there people thinking about...

Brandon Sanderson

You'll see, there's actual... there's an actual ecosystem in Shadesmar.

Lurcher

Even if people aren't really...

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. Well, think about it this way. The places people are thinking about will create landscape that this stuff can grow on. Where they're not thinking about it, there's just not going to be anything there, so nothing is going to grow.

[01:43:41]

Questioner

Why did you make Adolin kill someone?

Brandon Sanderson

Adolin's on the edge. He was just really frustrated with this guy who tried to murder his dad multiple times. Adolin demanded that it happen. It wasn't me forcing it to.

Questioner

Because I was reading that during my creative writing course. Everybody in there was wondering why I was so mad.

Brandon Sanderson

You can slap him around sometime, if you want. But he made the call himself.

[01:53:20]

Questioner

The Ryshadium mounts. Is there an actual bond, like the Nahel bond?

Brandon Sanderson

They are slightly Invested through a symbiotic relationship on Roshar that gives them better-than-average animal intelligence.

Saturday Signing Line:

Spoiler

[00:07:46]

Questioner

How do you keep your magic systems straight?

Brandon Sanderson

You know, I've never had trouble with that. I forget my keys, I forget where I put my wallet, but I don't forget stories. I get the stories right.

[00:11:33]

Questioner

How can I get on the waiting list for the leatherbound of The Way of Kings. Because, I know, when it comes out...

Brandon Sanderson

I don't think we're gonna be doing the waiting list for leatherbound Way of Kings.

Questioner

So I'll just have to keep up on it? Keep looking at the website?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. We'll try to make sure that we get enough of them, maybe order a few extra of that one.

[00:16:30]

Questioner

I still haven't finished the last [Wheel of Time]. Because I'm like, I don't know what I'm going to do without them in my life.

Brandon Sanderson

I know that feeling. When I sat down and read the ending that Robert Jordan himself had written, it was a weird, surreal moment, that it was done.

[00:18:14]

Questioner

I have been telling people you're my favorite writer for two reasons: your quality of writing is fantastic, and your quantity is high. That's very rare to get them in the same author.

Brandon Sanderson

You know, it's this weird thing where I have found that the more I keep up my momentum, the better I wrote. The worst things I write are the things where I take a long break in between. And it's sort of this thing like, if you stop playing baseball, you're gonna start missing the ball. And I found, just for me, that if I do stuff that keeps me going, so I use a lot of these novellas and things to make sure I'm keeping momentum. And it's hard sometimes, because books take a lot of revision, and you can't just write them and send them out. So you have to do, like, six or seven drafts sometimes. Just keep that momentum.

[00:19:14]

Questioner

I've been dying to ask you this question, especially ever since I've read Way of Kings, it's been growing on me. How much of your work has been influenced by Terry Warner? Bonds That Make Us Free?

Brandon Sanderson

I haven't read any of him.

[00:25:09]

Questioner

What inspired you to start writing?

Brandon Sanderson

It was the books I was reading. I wanted to learn to do what they had done. Anne McCaffrey was a big part of it. But I was reading it, I was like, these books have had such a profound effect on me, I want to learn to do that for other people.

[00:33:42]

Questioner

What's the relationship between the Knights Radiant and their opposite gender spren? Is that important or not?

Brandon Sanderson

Ah it is slightly important.

Questioner

I have to RAFO it though?

Brandon Sanderson

It's more important narratively than it is in the world. It happens more often but it doesn't mean anything when it doesn't happen, does that makes sense? So it's slightly important, partly it's a narrative trick. I want to keep some gender balance and it's a lot easier to play off someone different  than yourself, and things like that so I naturally do that. It doesn't necessarily mean anything when I don't. It depends on the personality of the spren.

[00:34:58]

Questioner

Your movie coming out? Adaptation?

Brandon Sanderson

We've been trying. We've been trying for years. It's just not going too well, so far. Lots of things are in development, but we'll see if it actually happens.

[00:43:16]

Brandon Sanderson

[Way of Kings] is my best book, but it also is the one that requires you to trust me the most.

[00:45:38]

Questioner

Is there going to be a Renarin PoV in this next book?

Brandon Sanderson

There is.

Questioner

Oh my goodness! Please don't corrupt him.

[00:47:08]

Questioner

Now I just gotta know how [Nightblood] got there.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, you do. There will be some hints in the next book.

[00:56:11]

Questioner

Any advice you would give to a second grader learning to write?

Brandon Sanderson

For second graders? Until about high school, my recommendation is just to encourage them to write whatever they feel like writing. Not imposing too much structure, it's just about momentum. Just "Go go go" will be my recommendation.

[01:00:20]

Questioner

What was your inspiration for Waxillium?

Brandon Sanderson

My original picture for myself for Wax was Clint Eastwood finds out that he's inherited a noble house, and has to move to New York City and take over the family finances.

[01:00:51]

Questioner

You're writing so many stories at once with so many different characters. Does it ever get confusing?

Brandon Sanderson

Once in a while. But the way my brain chemistry works, it's good for me to be always thinking about something new and jumping around a little bit, it helps me a ton. Different writers are very different. They don't want to do that at all, and it's just fine. There's no one right way to do it. I don't usually have trouble. It's the excitement of keeping track of it all that's fun for me.

[01:02:19]

Questioner

What would be your dream cast for a Steelheart movie.

Brandon Sanderson

I'm not sure if I would have a dream cast. They are who they are in my head. Mostly, I want to be there in the casting meetings, if it's someone I can be "Yeah! It can be them!"then we'll go with that. I don't really have a dream cast.

[01:05:34]

Questioner

Elantris. I heard you're maybe doing another?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, some day. It may take me a little while, but it will happen.

[01:10:19]

Questioner

When's the next Alcatraz coming out?

Brandon Sanderson

Slowly. Slowly but surely. I'm working on it. Oathbringer went a bit long, longer than expected, but I will see what I can do now that it's done.

[01:12:05]

Questioner

So, you know the White Sand graphic novel you made? Did you only sign, like, 250 of those? How many did you sign of those?

Brandon Sanderson

I'm not sure how many. I sign them when people bring them by, but I'm don't know how many numbers there were.

Questioner

No, when you first printed it.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, the numbered edition. I'm not sure. There aren't that many.

Questioner

I'm like, 199.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, there's 200 or something like that.

[01:14:10]

Questioner

How many sharpies do you go through in one of these things?

Brandon Sanderson

You know, it's not as many as you think. It's maybe three. I go through them really fast when I have big stacks to sign, for the publisher or something. But a sharpie is good for about 200, 300 signatures for me. And a line like this is maybe 500 people, each with maybe three books.

[01:14:41]

Questioner

Really cool what you're doing with Tor. I'm really enjoying the chapters every Tuesday. Me and two of my coworkers are just kinda geeking out about it.

Brandon Sanderson

I'm really glad to hear it. That was my idea.

[01:18:55]

Questioner

Do you know when the next Alcatraz book will come out?

Brandon Sanderson

Working on it slowly, but it's happening. This one, Oathbringer, took longer than I expected, so it slowed me down a little bit. But it shouldn't be too much longer.

Questioner

Rithmatist?

Brandon Sanderson

Rithmatist, that's the other one. No promises of when; working on it slowly.

[01:22:30]

Questioner

So I have a question about the Cosmere. I recently read the Stormlight Archive books and I love them, and then I reread Warbreaker and I noticed something. When Siri was teaching the God-king how to read, she says one of the letters is called shash and this is the name of one of Kaladin's slave brands. I was wondering why.

Brandon Sanderson

It was just a coincidence, that one's been asked of me before, yeah it's just a coincidence.

[01:26:53]

Questioner

Was that really the end of the Evil Librarians?

Brandon Sanderson

No. Did you see the last page? About Bastille? Yeah. That'll be the actual end. Once I can get a Bastille book written, that'll be all right. And she's going to un-dreary-ify things, because Alcatraz has a skewed perspective of the world.

[01:27:34]

Questioner

With the Heralds we know that there's only one left, one Herald that's still bound to the Oathpact...

Brandon Sanderson

OK, only one Herald was about, was abandoned...you'll find out the mechanics of that in the next book.

Questioner

So are we going to see more of Taln...?

Brandon Sanderson

You will see more of, the Oathpact is not completely broken, the others are still bound to the Oathpact.

Questioner

Even though they kind of sort of said they were abandoning it?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, so there's still connection there, so you'll find out more about all of this and how it works.

[01:29:47]

Questioner

I've got a Mistborn question for you. So, Identity? Can you store, like... is your physical appearance part of your Identity?

Brandon Sanderson

It is to some people. To most people, it's a part of it, yes. I don't know the answer... don't take that as "You can store that." It's involved. There are certain things you can do. But it's not as simple as it might have sounded, what I just implied.

Questioner

So, does that apply to your Identity, if you're in the Cognitive Realm? Or the Physical Realm? Can you store that?

Brandon Sanderson

The reason you look like you do in the Cognitive Realm is because it's Identity, things like that. I'm not gonna talk about specifically how storing that works really. Although there is the idea that your soul is the key to Investiture and stuff like that.

[01:31:43]

Questioner

What was the best Steel Inquisitor costume that you've seen?

Brandon Sanderson

Probably... there was one I saw in Boston, where they had gone all out and done the spikes, with the reflective sunglasses on them. They actually looked down a spike at these sunglass things, and that looked really sharp.

[01:33:40]

Questioner

I was wondering if a bond to a spren may be taken with a hemalurgic spike.

Brandon Sanderson

This is possible but it's gonna...since the spren has free will it's going to be...yeah it's going to have weird ramifications but it is a possible thing.

[01:34:08]

Questioner

Could a surgebinder potentially use a different kind of investiture them Stormlight? So like if somebody from Elantris somehow bonded to a spren could they use the Dor?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah this is possible, not as hard as it may sound, there is a few things you need to do, but it's possible.

[01:34:41]

Questioner

How do you fool your writer's block?

Brandon Sanderson

I write a bad chapter. Usually, writer's block, what's stopping me is I that know the chapter's not gonna work, or something's wrong. I write it anyway. And then I think about it for a few days, and then rewrite it over. It works almost every time. Once in a while, it's a bigger problem that's stopping me. And those cases, often it takes, like, a big extensive rewrite to get the book going in a different direction. But nine times out of ten, I'm just having a funk on one chapter; changing the perspective or writing it poorly in a sitting and letting myself think about it works very well.

[01:35:40]

Questioner

I know that Silence was written as a short story. It was one of my favorite stories. She's amazing. And I love the world. And I know that you told me it was *inaudible*, but...

Brandon Sanderson

There is a book on Threnody scheduled for the Cosmere, for me to do. The book, right now as I have it, is a fleet trying to sail back and reclaim the Homeland from the Evil. So, that's the plan right now. We'll see if it changes over time.

[01:40:54]

Questioner

I'm curious how you came up with the names of the different lenses.

Brandon Sanderson

I just went with what felt cool to me. 'Cause for Alcatraz, it's kinda just all about what feels cool to me, right now. There were no specific inspirations. Just cool words.

[01:49:01]

Brandon Sanderson

I pronounce it 'say-zed' (seizɛd). But I pronounce it like Kelsier does. But Sazed himself says something closer to 'sayz'd' (seizd)

[01:51:28]

Questioner

Is Spook alive?

Brandon Sanderson

There is more story to Spook. I won't confirm that he's dead or alive. If I write Secret History 2, there will be some Spook stuff. That's all I can say.

[01:53:10]

Questioner

So, where did you get the name Roshar from?

Brandon Sanderson

I have no idea. It's been twenty years that I've been calling it that. I don't know what my specific inspiration was. It's just one of those words that just felt right.

[01:54:08]

Questioner

When a Dakhor monk leaves his homeland do his bones still give him his abilities? Is it only the creation that's location-dependent or is it also the ability that's location-dependent?

Brandon Sanderson

The further you get away, the weaker the power the bones will give you will get. It's way better than Elantris at bringing the power with you. That's where it is in the notes right now, I have not written the second book, I could totally change that.

[01:54:43]

Questioner

Forged items. If it's one of those where it's permanent or it's not going to die after a couple of hours, can you move it offworld or would it transform once you moved it too far from its location?

Brandon Sanderson

Forgery requires a constant little stream of power to keep it going so yeah if you moved it offworld the forgery's not going to last.

[01:55:08]

Questioner

If you transform something using Aon Shao, would that be permanent, for taking offworld?

Brandon Sanderson

That would probably be permanent. That's where I stand right now on those ones.

[01:57:29]

Questioner

When are your plans for more Renarin?

Brandon Sanderson

So, do you want a little spoiler? There is a viewpoint from him in the third book.

[01:58:06]

Questioner

When is the second [Rithmatist] coming out.

Brandon Sanderson

It is the most requested book I get of a sequel. Oathbringer took a little bit longer than I expected, so I can't promise anything right now, but Rithmatist keeps staying right on the top of that list of to-do. I hope to do it soon.

[01:58:44]

Questioner

So, the chalk circles in Rithmatist. Are they, like, related to full crop circle that I get when BYU Modern?

Brandon Sanderson

No, that's not an inspiration I'm aware that. It could have been in the back of my head, but it was not a specific inspiration.

[01:59:38]

Questioner

How do you pronounce Kelsier's name?

Brandon Sanderson

I say "kelsi-er" (ˈkɛlsiəɹ). In world, they'd say "kelsi-eh" (ˈkɛlsiˌei). Yeah, most people would.

[02:01:12]

Questioner

Are you eventually gonna work on getting them all out in leatherbound?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. One a year is the plan, just kind of, tenth anniversary style.

[2:04:34]

Brandon Sanderson

Is Marsh a worldhopper? Can he worldhop? Does he have the ability?

Brandon Sanderson

Ah, yes, yes.

Questioner

Will we ever see him do anything on the other worlds?

Brandon Sanderson

That's a RAFO. There's your card. But yes, no his investiture would not prevent him from going offworld.

[02:04:14]

Questioner

So Hoid writes a letter to his old friend, was that before or after he got the bead of lerasium?

Brandon Sanderson

That was after he had taken that, the letter.

[02:10:01]

Questioner

I want to know exactly what happened to Szeth with Nightblood.

Brandon Sanderson

His scenes don't start until about three-quarters of the way through. But there's a lot to them when they do.

Edited by Lurcher

Question:

Shallan seems to have a unique ability to transform those around her into better people, such as Bluth. Is this effect natural or is it a function of her being a Lightweaver? (If yes) Was her drawing of Bluth relevant to this power?

Don't forget to try to record the signing line you attend, and have fun! A smartphone does the job well.

Edited by Blightsong

Can you burn a metal wrapped in another metal if both are allomantic metals?

Example, If I got a ball of bronze and wrapped it or coated it in steel, could I burn the bronze? 

Same with Feruchemy, can I Tap/Store metals wrapped in another metal? (This one is less likely so optional)

Also, what did the Stormforms lightning do to Adolins Shardplate at the end of WoR? After it got hit full on the first time, it reacted and started blocking the light to stop Adolin from getting blinded. Did his Shardplate awaken in some way?

What happens when a Reshi Island dies? What do they people do? What happens to the corpse? What happens to the gemheart?

Edited by overlordjebus
Added more questions

If a non-Nalthian is given Breath, then gives away that Breath, will they have the same amount of innate investiture as originally? Will they become a Drab? 

(Not sure if this is too convoluted but) Is there any way, other than hemaurgy, for a Returned to transfer a Divine Breath to another person or object? (Continuation) In Australia you indicated that you have not yet decided if normal Breath can be taken with hemalurgy as it sort of sits there in the Physical Realm. Have you decided yet?

What topics do you find the most interesting? What are your favorite questions and answers that you've seen him answer? Like, cultural worldbuilding versus character development? Mistborn versus Stormlight? Plot vs magic? Writing advice vs in-universe questions? Any specific theories you hold to, that you'd like some help figuring out a way to ask about? I could always dig up a couple of questions from my personal list, or you could head over to the Ultimate List; but maybe we can find a question that you'd be more invested in (no pun intended).

39 minutes ago, overlordjebus said:

Can you burn a metal wrapped in another metal if both are allomantic metals?

Example, If I got a ball of bronze and wrapped it or coated it in steel, could I burn the bronze? 

This almost happened to Vin, with the lead ball coated in atium.  Since you can technically burn lead (with disastrous consequences), I suppose you could ask whether she could have felt the lead under the atium, or if the atium truly hid what was underneath.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm liking the Shallan/Lightweaver question.

@Pagerunner

18 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

What topics do you find the most interesting? What are your favorite questions and answers that you've seen him answer? Like, cultural worldbuilding versus character development? Mistborn versus Stormlight? Plot vs magic? Writing advice vs in-universe questions? Any specific theories you hold to, that you'd like some help figuring out a way to ask about? I could always dig up a couple of questions from my personal list, or you could head over to the Ultimate List; but maybe we can find a question that you'd be more invested in (no pun intended).

So many questions about questions! haha. Thanks for the prodding.

First of all, I was unaware of the Ultimate List. I was scanning through those and found a few I liked. I might just stick with those.

However, let me answer your questions. I'm more interested in plot points  - like what stuff is going on behind the scenes, and "what ifs" within the plot. I'm also interested in the cognitive realm  - Mistborn: Secret History sure brought up a lot of questions. (For example: How does the cognitive realm seemingly have it's own flora and fauna? Seems backwards to me.). That said, I'm probably more interested in Mistborn than Stormlight, but not by much.

Not so much interested in: cultures, character development, writing advice. 

I have no personal theories at the moment.  I have two ideas regarding "what if" questions I've had floating around in my head. The first is if the Lord Ruler would have been able to "fix" Scadrial's problems he created in the first place ( planet location, sunlight,ashmounts,etc.)  if he was able to survive until the well was full again and use the power. Second is, what information would Hoid have given Vin if Kelsier didn't scare her away from him (Hoid) in HoA?  I'm not sure these are interesting enough questions for the fandom as a whole to ask, so I hesitate to ask them.  Let me know what you guys think.

2 minutes ago, Lurcher said:

How does the cognitive realm seemingly have it's own flora and fauna? Seems backwards to me.

I have no personal theories at the moment.  I have two ideas regarding "what if" questions I've had floating around in my head. The first is if the Lord Ruler would have been able to "fix" Scadrial's problems he created in the first place ( planet location, sunlight,ashmounts,etc.)  if he was able to survive until the well was full again and use the power. Second is, what information would Hoid have given Vin if Kelsier didn't scare her away from him (Hoid) in HoA?  I'm not sure these are interesting enough questions for the fandom as a whole to ask, so I hesitate to ask them.  Let me know what you guys think.

All three of those seem like great questions, although the third might be straying into RAFO-territory. And don't worry about the fandom as a whole. (What a bunch of nerds!) If you ask something you're interested in, you're a lot more likely to get Brandon in an actual dialogue, where he'll start offering up information beyond the scope of the original question.

2 hours ago, Blightsong said:

Question:

Shallan seems to have a unique ability to transform those around her into better people, such as Bluth. Is this effect natural or is it a function of her being a Lightweaver? (If yes) Was her drawing of Bluth relevant to this power?

Don't forget to try to record the signing line you attend, and have fun! A smartphone does the job well.

This piggybacks off of the manifestation of surges outside of the "powers" themselves theory I touched into yesterday during our discord conversation, @Blightsong
I have this question on my list as well so +1 vote for it!
But I also expand upon it with a "Kaladin draws people to him and, in the case of Bridge 4 and his spear squads especially, seems to form them together into strong groups. Does this play into the fact that windrunner squire groups are so large and is it an effect of their interaction with gravitation and adhesion: the the forces of nature relating to bringing things together and binding them?"

It's all pointed at pinning down Radiant Resonances and the cross-effect of their surges both with Stormlight-fueled powers and how the surges and personalities interact. I'll be bringing it up on the OB tour as well, so if we don't get an in-depth answer here, no worries, @Lurcher
, the Shallan question alone is a strong one with lots of potential.

All:

Based on Pagerunner's advice, I'll probably just stick with what's been suggested so far along with my own questions (and maybe some from the ultimate list).  I'm already feeling overwhelmed with questions and I'm only one man and I don't want to clog up the signing line by taking up tons of time with Brandon.  So, not to be a buzzkill at the party I started, unless you have a question you can't live without asking ASAP, let's close this down to any new submitted questions for me to consider asking. I'd rather that this thread be filled with the transcribed Q&As than un-asked questions that I probably won't get to. Plus, there's the Ultimate List, already that was made for this type of thing. ^_^

@Pagerunner:

Thanks for the advice and pointing me in the right direction with things.

@Blightsong:

I'll try to record as much as I can during his signings (no promises, though, as there's a bunch of panels I want to attend). It seems Brandon is fine with things if I just leave the phone/recorder on the signing desk, right? Anything else I should know about the protocol of recording?

Edited by Lurcher

3 minutes ago, Lurcher said:

@Blightsong:

I'll try to record as much as I can during his signings (no promises, though, as there's a bunch of panels I want to attend). It seems Brandon is fine with things if I just leave the phone/recorder on the signing desk, right? Anything else I should know about the protocol of recording?

Yup, just make sure to get the ok from him before hand. He allows it, but the venue may not (unlikely, but possible). There seems to already be people willing to record, so dont worry about this too too much (althought back up recordings are nice just in case).

And yes, our community is quite eager for questions; like Pagerunner said, we're a bunch of nerd. Dont feel like you've got to answer every question we posted :P. Thanks for letting us slip some in, though!

1 hour ago, Lightning said:

This almost happened to Vin, with the lead ball coated in atium.  Since you can technically burn lead (with disastrous consequences), I suppose you could ask whether she could have felt the lead under the atium, or if the atium truly hid what was underneath.

Yeah, I worded that question to try and resolve the ambiguities of the atium-lead situation.

10 hours ago, Blightsong said:

Question:

I will also be at SLCC, and I find this question very interesting. I'll ask it if @Lurcher hasn't already claimed it. :)

A word of caution about the Ultimate List - it can be out of date sometimes.

Here are some of my own questions, ones that don't require much background into why I am curious about them:

• The Immortal Words and the Commands in Awakening feel a little similar, in the sense that both require vocalization of an idea or a mental state. Is this similarity shared by other magics in the Cosmere, or are those two more of a coincidence? 
  • Do the many faces of Cusicesh belong to real people? Are they all dead? 
  • Do Feruchemical metalminds experience physical change over time, such as wear and tear? 
  • Would Aons work even better if they were drawn with a cartographer's attention to detail? Would Soulstamps? 
  • Does Awakening drain colors outside the visible spectrum? 

I've offered the same set of questions to the 17S Discord, so let me know if you like any of them well enough to ask them, so I can let the other guys know, so you don't ask the same questions.

5 minutes ago, Extesian said:

One i would like to add if anyone has capacity is whether a non-Nalthian who is given Breath, and then gives all of that Breath away, would have less investiture than they started with/would become a Drab.

Trying to see if giving your Breath away divests you of all of your innate investiture?

17 minutes ago, Extesian said:

One i would like to add if anyone has capacity is whether a non-Nalthian who is given Breath, and then gives all of that Breath away, would have less investiture than they started with/would become a Drab.

I believe there is already a WoB on the topic, It was about how a non-Nalthian would be see from people with the Lifesense. In the answer Brandon said something like "they would not show as Drab but their Innate Investiture could not be taken away".

You are so skilled to WoB-Fu that I am sure you could fastly find it.

21 minutes ago, Argent said:

Trying to see if giving your Breath away divests you of all of your innate investiture?

Some or particularly all. This stems from discussions about how Breath works with the concept of investiture needing a hole in the spirit web (the whole snapping business). The discussions came out as three main options - Breath does not require a hole in the spirit web (either because its end neutral or because its physical); all Nalthians are born with that hole which enables Breath to fill it; or the receiving of Breath (at birth or later) creates the necessary hole. I personally believe it requires no hole and i think that's because Breath is physical and doesn't integrate with the spirit web (Brandon recently said he's undecided on that, though divine breath does integrate with the spirit web). But if a non-nalthian would actually become drab, or even just have a bit less innate investiture after giving Breath away, that could imply that Breath actually creates that hole. Its tenuous but it was the best way i could think of to narrow down options and avoid getting rafo'd. I'm certainly open to a different line of questioning to settle that issue. I did a theory on the mechanics of Breath some months ago and wanted to try settle it

And thanks yata. I expect you're talking about this one? 

NUTIKETAIEL

"If a native of Sel or another Shardworld travelled to Nalthis, would they be a drab?"

Brandon almost answered quickly, but then got a thoughtful look and paused to consider with a "hmm." After a moment, he replied:

BRANDON SANDERSON

"No, they would not be a drab. But, no one would be able to take their breath."

It certainly establishes the lower level of a nalthian without breath but not whether a non-nalthian receiving a Breath has their innate investiture level changed by it, ie if breath kind of drills a hole in the spirit web or attaches itself to innate investiture in a way that pulls it off when given away, like a bandaid removing hairs when you pull it off.

I realized my above explanation is not great. Basically i want to know why nalthians without breath have LESS investiture than other people in the cosmere and I'm hoping to shed light on the question of whether breath requires, or creates, a crack in the spirit web. As mentioned though I personally dont think it does, but i want to play with options aa I'm obsessed with nalthis and we have little on it.

Incidentally here's my old nalthis theory 

I wrote it on my 6th month shard anniversary and haven't read it in months so not sure how much has been resolved. I haven't been good with updating my questions or theories

Edited by Extesian

7 minutes ago, Extesian said:

Some or particularly all. This stems from discussions about how Breath works with the concept of investiture needing a hole in the spirit web (the whole snapping business). The discussions came out as three main options - Breath does not require a hole in the spirit web (either because its end neutral or because its physical); all Nalthians are born with that hole which enables Breath to fill it; or the receiving of Breath (at birth or later) creates the necessary hole. I personally believe it requires no hole and i think that's because Breath is physical and doesn't integrate with the spirit web (Brandon recently said he's undecided on that, though divine breath does integrate with the spirit web). But if a non-nalthian would actually become drab, or even just have a bit less innate investiture after giving Breath away, that could imply that Breath actually creates that hole. Its tenuous but it was the best way i could think of to narrow down options and avoid getting rafo'd. I'm certainly open to a different line of questioning to settle that issue. I did a theory on the mechanics of Breath some months ago and wanted to try settle it

I considerate this a long time ago but I didn't find a meaningful answer to this.

By the way the answer to your question Will give you no clarification in the regard you want. A Breath could cracks a Soul but this doesn't mean the amount of Soul's Investiture decreese.

By he way as the Breath has the unique (for now) property to have both Kinetic and Innate Investiture's features.

It's possible that during the trasfert (Kinetic Investiture that don't Need soul crack) the Breath's euphoria is enough to crack your Soul a bit and this allows It to use the crack as junction point for its Innate Investiture's state.

PS: all' the Nalthian for their Soul's configuration are defaultly cracked to me

8 minutes ago, Yata said:

I considerate this a long time ago but I didn't find a meaningful answer to this.

By the way the answer to your question Will give you no clarification in the regard you want. A Breath could cracks a Soul but this doesn't mean the amount of Soul's Investiture decreese.

By he way as the Breath has the unique (for now) property to have both Kinetic and Innate Investiture's features.

It's possible that during the trasfert (Kinetic Investiture that don't Need soul crack) the Breath's euphoria is enough to crack your Soul a bit and this allows It to use the crack as junction point for its Innate Investiture's state.

PS: all' the Nalthian for their Soul's configuration are defaultly cracked to me

Yata its funny, after i finished typing all that i realized the same thing, that a crack in the spirit web is unrelated to innate investiture. Which makes my question useless for that purpose. You're completely right. Which leaves me wondering about any subtle way to determine that. 

Shows I was still learning a lot just a few months ago. For someone who considers myself now pretty good with realmatics that's something I should've realized long before now :(

Maybe the simplest question is "do Breaths create a crack in the spirit web or is no crack necessary? (If the latter) is this because Breath is end neutral?"

Edited by Extesian

3 minutes ago, Extesian said:

Maybe the simplest question is "do Breaths create a crack in the spirit web or is no crack necessary? (If the latter) is this because Breath is end neutral?"

Yeah this question to me is better, than the previous One.

IndeedI don't believe there is a correlation between cracks and End-neutral but this Little extra could push him to explain us something more.

11 hours ago, Sunchicken said:

Hey, for those of you who were at the con today, did anyone take note of when Brandon's Friday signing(s) is/are? I was planning to go to one today but it didn't work out, and I forgot to go back and check the schedule.

@Sunchicken

His site says 2:30-3:45, but I'm not sure how accurate it would be. When I was at his booth yesterday they only had times for that day (Thursday) listed.  He added an hour to what his site schedule said, so I'm betting he will be there from 2:30-3:45, but it wouldn't surprise me if he's there earlier or later.

Either way, I wasn't able to get to him either. I got in line at 7:40 pm and I was almost to him at about 8:50 pm when the comic con staff said the floor was closing at 9pm and so she just said he could only sign our books and/or do photos, but no questions. :( It was just the conveyor belt signing .  He was then quickly whisked away by the con staff as the clock struck 9pm. (That line was long...not surprisingly. It's only going to get longer as the con progresses...as far as what I've observed with SLCC.)

That said, I did get a recording of the whole line. I'll upload that soon. Disclaimer: I don' t have time to transcribe it, so I'll leave that to someone else.

I'll get back in line today and see if I can't ask my questions.

I appreciate all newly submitted questions yesterday, but these are the ones I'm going to attempt to ask (maybe someone else can ask the newly submitted ones?):

In the battle of the Tower, Eshonai fights Dalinar and when she recognizes him she tries to speak with him, possibly to negotiate. What would have happened if Kaladin hadn't arrived then to 'save' him?

What information would Hoid have given Vin if Kelsier didn't scare her away from him (Hoid) in HoA?

What would have the Lord Ruler done with the power at the well if Vin hadn't killed him? Would he have been able to fix the problems he initially caused for Scadrial?

Can you burn a metal wrapped in another metal if both are allomantic metals? example, If I got a ball of bronze and wrapped it or coated it in steel, could I burn the bronze? What about a non-allomantic metal?

What happens when a Reshi Island dies? What do they people do? What happens to the corpse? What happens to the gemheart?

How does the cognitive realm seemingly have it's own flora and fauna?

Now that this thread has a little more attention, If someone already has a WoB on these or feel like there's something really wrong about them, let me know.

Edited by Lurcher
tagging Sunchicken