[OB] Oathbringer chapters 10-12

Mestiv

My thoughts:

*Sylblade is awesome. Now I'll be waiting for Shallan to start thinking about her Patternblade. 

*Speaking of Syl, I can see how she would be a huge problem once Kaladin gets a girlfriend. I dislike how dismissive she is of Adolin though, and how biased she is towards Kaladin.

*Looks like Renarin is a Truthwatcher. Well, I'll continue to say that something is wrong with him. He is just too wierd. And also, Adolin seeing his ultimate self, might that have been the Truthwatchers Resonance? Making others see their true potential, or something?

*Dalinar killed a little kid? He really was a monster. Also, R.I.P Teleb. These flashbacks makes him a badass. He is Stormlights version of Legolas, and died off-screen :-(

*I LOVE the Azish. They are hilarious, even though I understand Dalinars frustration.

*May Aladar keeps on appearing... I like Aladar though, he comes with good suggestions. And also, his "having a bad day" line was kind of funny.

*I didn't like the Thaylen queen, which makes her the first Thaylen I don't like. I wonder what is up with her though. Dalinar thought something was off. The Thaylens are on an island, so they are pretty isolated. Maybe the Voidbringers conquered it and the one writing is an Unmade/Voidbringer impostor. They would probably have a lot of parshmen around there, since they most likely trade with them. It could be theoretically possible, and due to the isolated nature of the island, take a while for Team Urithiru to discover.

*Elhokar is great. I also think that his scene proves that he does care about his people, and is not in it for glory only. "Bring the bridgeman in case I screw up, so that the city will be saved anyway" implies that he isn't afraid of humiliation, and that saving the people is his first priority. 

*Mr. T has a Radiant. Thats fun, considering that he doesn't want any of them running around. Something is wierd here. 

The talks between Syl and Kaladin are the best this week.

"That's my boy! You know how to do it"

Renarin healing seems to have some kind of spiritual bond, similar to Shallan lightweaving.

Voidbringer are doing contracts?

So now Adolin is highprince and Dalinar is highking.

Honorblades can also open Oathgates, good to have it confirm.

Elhokar call Kal "the hero" and wants to be like him. Elhokar for windrunner squire.

53 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

SAME! 

Ok. Parshmen strategy. Stealing boats, food, and making demands? Where is all the destruction? I want VOIDING not POLITICS. 

On the other hand, if the voidbringer start attacking everything, dalinar will have an easier time to unite the world. if the voidbringers present a reasonable facade, they may well manage to get allies.  divide et impera, after all.

Also when is tarangavian going to betray dalinar

He could just present dalinar with a unified jah keved, and unite with him. perfect solution, and taravangian actually contirbuted to something useful. well, almost useful. I mean, yes, he destroied most of the nation's army and infrastruture, but what little is left he will present to dalinar. jah keved would have probably been more useful to the fight if divided but in its full strenght, but regardless. i worry T will still try to betray dalinar, though.

6 minutes ago, Azul said:

Same here. Between this and Pattern checking out people in baths spren seem pretty pervy!

they are just curious. it's not like we don't do the same in the name of science.

Okay guys so. I've had the crappiest afternoon. And yet!

*Adolin getting his wrist healed. Adolin thinking fondly about his blade. Adolin having Sureblood Feels

*Renarin with his Radiant Blade. Renarin and his brother bonding

*Elhokar stepping up, ready to become a better man

*Kaladin smiling

*Brandon throwing a bone to us Shalladin shippers after three years and a half, god bless his soul

*Things are well on their way to blowing  the hell up

This chapter trifecta was the best yet. And we're still, like, a third into part one. I'm so excited.

Edited by Elena

1 minute ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Maybe the Voidbringers are going to buy Azish. It wouldn't be out of character for the Azish to sell their kingdom.

Or for the Azish to agree to pay reparations for years of false enslavement, on contract leading to alliance and future business dealing/labor.

Hey, I was forgetting the most important part: the dalinar flashback doesn't fit with what we knew from other released material. Namely, we were told that he got his plate from marriage, while it is clearly not the case. And we still haven't seen what caused the ardent to quit the army. Maybe we'll be shown later in the book?

I mean, dalinar killed a children, but he was a children armed with a shardblade and determined to use it. and dalinar was without gauntlets and had both hands wounded, so grabbing the sword and disarming the child without hurting him was not possible. I doubt a hardened soldier would have been particularly disturbed by that. And anyway, that trap to collapse dalinar into the canyon smashed several homes, it certainly killed a lot of people too.

41 minutes ago, heridfel said:

Elhokar might end up a Lightweaver. Admitting truths to himself, seeing more Spren when he's around other Radiants...

I haven't been keen on the "Elhokar Goes Radiant" angle, but it's true, he's maturing via self-awareness.

Other new thoughts:  Is Rlain a squire too?  Will he be able to use the surges?Syl has to go under or around doors, not through them, requiring space.  Even intangible she must respect the physical constraints of matter?  Or is it the cognitive concept of a door/wall keeping things out that she must respect?

Also, on my first reading, that storeroom that was raided?  I really felt that between the few injured townspeople, and the really bad drawings from the Ardent, mixed with the really shaky descriptions of the voidbringers (barely more than standard parshmen with some myth gloss applied) that the town was trying to con him.  They disappeared their own stores to get aid from the king or something, after hearing about the generous radiant going around giving away free money.  I still don't trust that small town, though finding that they also stole boats diminishes my suspicion a bit.

I agree with everyone, what is with the contracts?  Are they going out of their way to make Dalinar look sketchy to the other leaders?

And the number of times spren spy curiously on private moments - from Syl watching sex, to pattern trying to figure out pooping and being in the baths, this is just weird.  Maybe the radiants died out in part due to unreleased sexual frustration from never wanting to have to answer curious spren questions in the moment?

Edited by Stark

Wow, I'm really surprised about how well the parshmen are handling everything so far. I love that they already seem to have a command structure and know what they're doing. They've got the logistics down. So I guess most of the listeners are now in warform, maybe stormform, while a chosen few have forms of power. Can't wait to see those. When I read that the Azish were negotiating I got aprehensive, and when I read that they stole most of the Thaylen fleet already I got genuinely worried. Most of Roshar is going to have to take a pretty bad hit before the rulers realize they can't afford to play games or negotiate. I hope we get to hear what the listeners were demanding of the Azish eventually. 

I'm excited to hear what the Diagram has planned for the current situation. My money is on Mr. T bringing a non-Nale-affiliated Skybreaker with him. He can't cheat his way through an oathgate. That would also put Adolin in a bad position and the whole murder plot would be resolved rather quickly.

Syl was fun as always and I really enjoy reading a happy Kaladin. 

8 minutes ago, BrightVoid said:

Did anyone else catch onto Renarin discovering that horses are not native to Roshar?  While he doesn't explicitly state it, he notes that they are not fit to survive on roshar on their own.  

I thought he was noting how Ryshadium are more fit for the greater parts of Roshar (stone hooves), whereas normal horses really don't fit anywhere but Shinovar.

“Yes,” Navani said. “A Radiant needs to unlock the gate on this side— which we can do at any moment—then one has to travel to the destination city and undo the lock there as well. That done, a Radiant can initiate a transfer from either location.”

“Then the only one we have that can theoretically get to Thaylen City is the Windrunner,” Aladar said. “But what if it takes him months to get back here? Or what if he’s captured by the enemy? Can we even make good on our promises, Dalinar?”

So Renarin hasn't told them yet that he has a blade? Even after his discussion with Adolin? I guess that these two POVs are probably happening simultaneously, but still, I can see now why people would be annoyed when Truthwatchers never told anybody anything. My gosh, just have a clear conversation with Shallan or Dalinar!!! Let us see your spren!!!!

Seriously though, now that we've seen Renarin's blade and he has used one of the Truthwatcher's surges, it should be proof enough that he is actually a KR, but something still feels fishy. Why haven't we seen even a hint of Glys? Why haven't we gotten a POV from him? When he sent that pulse of stormlight through Adolin, Adolin saw "A version of himself that was somehow complete and whole, the man he could be." That's evidence enough for me that Renarin is a Truthwatcher, but what's up with all of this mystery surrounding him? Branderson obviously has big things planned for him (here's the most recent chapter of Way of Kings Prime that features Renarin pretty heavily). And all those RAFO's regarding Truthwatchers? That mystery hint he gave about Renarin? What about those Everstorm visions? Even though it's pretty obvious now that Renarin is a Truthwatcher, something funky is still going on. 

A troubling problem, but one that Dalinar thought he might have an answer to. There was a weapon that he’d decided to keep hidden for now. It might work as well as a Radiant’s Shardblade in opening the Oathgates— and might let someone reach Thaylen City by flight.

Sounds like Dalinar has possession of the honorblade and is hoping to keep it a secret. 

If Dalinar failed everywhere else, at least he would have King Taravangian at his side.

Oh Dalinar.............buddy...........no............

Could the Radiant that Mr. T is sending possibly be the Champion? I guess that it's possible that an actual Radiant has come to help her king, but what if she's an artificial Radiant? Maybe a spren was forced to bond? I don't see how sending an honest surgebinder to Dalinar would help Mr. T, unless it's just a move to gain Dalinar's trust. I'm psyched to meet this new surgebinder (if she is who she says she is)! Hopefully she's in an order that we haven't seen much of.

Edited by Pammie

Also, I like this happier, more serene Adolin. I don't want him to fall or break. I don't even want him to be discovered. I want him to grow and learn, but I'm perfectly happy with it not being traumatic.

4 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Oh, two more things:

1. What is up with the Shin and their dislike of fabrials?

they consider stormlight too holy to use.  szeth remarks how it shouldn't be used for illumination

5 minutes ago, Ciridae said:

I'm excited to hear what the Diagram has planned for the current situation. My money is on Mr. T bringing a non-Nale-affiliated Skybreaker with him. He can't cheat his way through an oathgate. That would also put Adolin in a bad position and the whole murder plot would be resolved rather quickly.

I don't know where he found a radiant, if indeed he found one, but it is not that hard to find some radiants if you have a kingdom worth of people and know where to look.

Alternatively, he may have had one for longer than we assume; whoever was sent to take control of szeth disappeared after soulcasting a wall to smoke, and that means either T has secretly a soulcaster, or he has secretly a radiant.

I absolutely love that Renarin echoed some of my thoughts from the 7-9 topic.  How he initially thought his difficulty with the blade was linked to his being strange, increasing his sense of inadequacy.  How he is terrified at trying to learn something no one can teach him, so experiments only.  How Glys was not even sure he could take swordform...  It makes me feel so much better that he is finally talking to his brother.

As for Syl's bias against Adolin, well, that is really simple.  She outright says that he is swinging around one of her dead sisters by her feet.  I know I would be quite violently biased against anyone who did the same with my family.  Syl is being downright generous and kind about her bias and distrust of him when you think about that.  Be fun to see what shakes loose from Adolin's knowledge that his sword used to be a person.

Or, if he can get one of the Radiants to touch it for him, so he can hear the spren, like what happened to the guy in the duel with Kaladin...

Edited by Stark

1 minute ago, Elena said:

Also, I like this happier, more serene Adolin. I don't want him to fall or break. I don't even want him to be discovered. I want him to grow and learn, but I'm perfectly happy with it not being traumatic.

Not going to happen. This is a sanderbook, and adolin is a main character. there's no way he'll avoid thrauma and suffering.

To quote someone unconventionally wise: if writers were good people, they would write about cute fluffy bunnies

13 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

Hey, I was forgetting the most important part: the dalinar flashback doesn't fit with what we knew from other released material. Namely, we were told that he got his plate from marriage, while it is clearly not the case. And we still haven't seen what caused the ardent to quit the army. Maybe we'll be shown later in the book?

He got Adolin's plate through marriage...

10 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Anyone else who thinks that Vstim might be Navanis Thaylen contact? That could introduce Rysn and the Larkin to Team Urithiru.

That was my thought also!

So when Dalinar was getting into contact with other leaders, he was talking about who was in the room with him, and there roles. I didn't even think about Elokhar. Only when he opened the door, and Elokhar was mentioned in text I had a Oh, god! Moment. All that negation, with the King not even in the room, and I (the reader) didn't even notice.

12 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

1. What is up with the Shin and their dislike of fabrials?

I'm guessing it has something to do with how they consider stone to be holy or sacred. If I remember correctly in the Prologue to WoK, Szeth wondered how the Alethi could use something sacred as mere illumination (talking about the gemstones filled with stormlight along the walls).

34 minutes ago, Azul said:

Same here. Between this and Pattern checking out people in baths spren seem pretty pervy!

And to think there were people saying Kal and Shallan could never get along because their spren are too different *whistles innocently*

@Idealisticif Elhokar became a squire I would literally squeal. No shame here.