[OB] Oathbringer chapters 10-12

Mestiv

I greatly enjoyed these chapters. An end (or at least a pause) to "Renarin is faking being a Truthwatcher", and the same for Syl/Kaladin relationships. I don't know how that would work, don't want to know, but at least neither of them seem to show interest in it - more family than romance.

Oh, and some more indication that Elhokar might end up a Lightweaver. Admitting truths to himself, seeing more Spren when he's around other Radiants... though I'd be just as happy if he ended up a squire to Kaladin.

Edited by heridfel
Thought about Elhokar

Gumfrem...weird name. If I rearrange the vowels, I get Gemfrum. Which sounds like gem from, and people do get gems from them.

So Renarin is a legit Truthwatcher, okay. It felt like he accidentally or semi accidentally healed Adolin. But the vision is interesting. The way Adolin talks about him, that he thinks a lot, but mentions only part of what he thinks about - that seems Truthwachery. 

Last thread, so much discussion about the wrist, goodbye now.

Travangian, oh no, oh no, oh no. Kal knows about the Diagram it's, to some extent...

Yay, Dalinar has the Honorblade and understands it's potential. 

Okay, just finished the chapters. Another awesome set, but now I'm worried what Mr. T is up too, if he really has a Radiant, and what Order that Radiant is...

6 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Haven't even been able to finish the first chapter yet.... But seriously, the mental image of Syl on a headboard, cheering Kaladin on... 

"Harder, Kaladin! Harder! Oh yeah... That's it. Hit it" 

I'm.... Laughing and dying inside. 

I know Syl wants Kaladin to be happier, but this certainly an interesting way to go about it.

9 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Haven't even been able to finish the first chapter yet.... But seriously, the mental image of Syl on a headboard, cheering Kaladin on... 

"More tongue, you dour idiot!" 

Edited by dantlee

7 minutes ago, heridfel said:

Oh, and some more indication that Elhokar might end up a Lightweaver. Admitting truths to himself, seeing more Spren when he's around other Radiants... though I'd be just as happy if he ended up a squire to Kaladin.

I thought the same thing. Between his seeing Cryptics and come to realize self-aware truths, Elhokar seems like a definite Lightweaver. 

5 minutes ago, yulerule said:

Regarding the Parshmen. For some reason, I got the feeling that they didn't all uniformly transform into Stormform (Voidform) but might have transformed into Parshendi forms.

That seems to be the case for at least one lot of them, warform raiding the grain store.

5 minutes ago, Catladyman said:

I thought the same thing. Between his seeing Cryptics and come to realize self-aware truths, Elhokar seems like a definite Lightweaver. 

Perhaps Elhokar will decide that Kaladin is taking too long, and will use the Honorblade to fly there - perhaps with some of Bridge 4?  He'll get there, and realize that the Honorblade doesn't work - but will say the words and speak some truths (Like the ones he said here) and summon his Crypticblade - opening the gate, saving the day, and bolstering the kingdom.  For a time.

Oh jeez.  Syl the sex ed coach.  The Sylblade.  Kaladin already being jaded at being the radiant.

Renarin using progression.  Adolin musing with Gallant and feeling guilt over Sureblood.  All the negotiations being exactly as rocky as one would expect when the world's greatest warlord asks if he can teleport troops directly inot your capital.  Mr. T appearing.  With a Radiant in tow, what the hell?  Renarin's Glysblade.

Too much to comment on coherently without reading it all again.

But I have to say, my theory that Elhokar will be Odium's champion due to a budding resentment to Dalinar took a severe hit today.  That said, saying you don't resent someone, and actually not resenting them are not the same thing.  But, I am pretty sure we can put to rest the idea that a Kholin will be the champion of Odium.  

So maybe the champion will be a Son of Honor?  They wanted all of this to come back anyway?

And the voidbringers are getting different forms than the Stormform and sailing off for some reason?  Why, where to?

Edited by Stark

3 minutes ago, Darkness said:

My first thought was that Taravangian's "Radiant" was actually Palah. Possibly he figured out who she was awhile ago, possibly she just decided to surface. Either way he is definitely playing a deadly game.

To add to Steeldancer's point she wouldn't be talking to a spren either.

30 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Same here. Between this and Pattern checking out people in baths spren seem pretty pervy!

- Kaladin's discussions with Syl are starting to Go There. The concept of a Sylphrena Cheering Section when Kaladin eventually, uh, gets his turn at bat is going to drive a lot of fanfic I'm never, ever going to read.

- So Elhokar was, in fact, simply excluded (or was not considered essential) for Dalinar's planning session where he Bondsmith'ed Shallan into a 3D projector. And he wasn't in the room when Aladar was, during the spanreeding to other world leaders. damnation.

- Uh-oh. I think Dalinar is going to get to the point of "lending" the Windrunner blade to Elhokar. Especially since Elhokar still seems to think Kaladin could teach him something - why not teach him Windrunner Surgebinding?

- Renarin's healing of Adolin carried overtones of what Shallan did with Bluth and even Gaz: show them an idealized version of themselves. Perhaps it's an interplay of Lightweaving with Progression?

- Taravangian has a Radiant?! What?

- What are the Voidbringers up to? Negotiating contracts with the Azish, stealing ships and grain... They're gearing up for the long haul, not just a war of destruction.

2 minutes ago, Stark said:

And the voidbringers are getting different forms than the Stormform and sailing off for some reason?  Why, where to?

Awesome writing prompt.

Odium. ˈōdēəm/  n.  "general or widespread hatred or disgust directed toward someone as a result of their actions."

I think they are being led off to nurse their hatred.  The parshendi fought the Alethi, but not with any especial relish.  They viewed the war as a logical consequence of a necessary action - killing Gavilar to stop him from returning their gods.  The parshmen, however, have been enslaved in chattel slavery for centuries.  Now they are aware. 

Odium's intent is hatred, not simply destruction.  Why not stoke that hatred of the formerly oppressed before turning them loose with no combat training?

The Thrill even plays into it, as it encourages you to do terrible things - things that disgust or invoke loathing in others.  Years of oppression and warfare have turned the humans of Roshar, especially the Alethi, into catalysts for Odium.  Why waste that for a simple assault?  Odium isn't Ruin, and even Ruin was more subtle than that.

3 minutes ago, robardin said:

- Renarin's healing of Adolin carried overtones of what Shallan did with Bluth and even Gaz: show them an idealized version of themselves. Perhaps it's an interplay of Lightweaving with Progression?

I think that this is an excellent point. Lightweaving seems to have a lot to do with idealizing someone, and in Shallan's case, she interplays it with Transformation, showing people what they could transform into, maybe, whereas Renarin seems to mix it with his Progression to heal them like the idealized version. Maybe it has to do with their Cognitive Aspect, somehow?