[OB] Oathbringer chapters 10-12

Mestiv

I pause mid reading to say canon Sylblade description! 

Spoiler

Syl formed there by unspoken command, taking the shape of a Shardblade: a sleek, beautiful sword with the symbol of the Windrunners prominent on the center, with lines sweeping off it toward the hilt—grooves in the metal that looked like flowing tresses of hair.

Lots of questions, as usual.

Dalinar, you poor, old fool. What is Mr. T going to do to you now? 

Was Dalinar referencing Szeth's old honorblade when he mentioned a workaround for not having the Dour Idiot around to fly to oathgates and open them from the other side? 

And the part about Voidbringer negotiations with the Azish is really fascinating. Specifically the idea that (see bold below)

“ ‘Fortunately,’ ” came the reply, “ ‘our city stands, and the enemy is not actively attacking any longer. We are negotiating with the hostiles.’ ”

“Negotiating?” Dalinar said, shocked. He turned to Teshav, who shook her head in wonder.

“Please clarify, Your Majesty,” Navani said. “The Voidbringers are willing to negotiate with you?”

“ ‘Yes,’ ” came the reply. “ ‘We are exchanging contracts. They have very detailed demands, with outrageous stipulations. We hope that we can forestall armed conflict in order to gather ourselves and fortify the city.’ ”

“They can write?” Navani pressed. “The Voidbringers themselves are sending you contracts?”

“ ‘The average parshman cannot write, so far as we can tell,’ ” the reply came. “ ‘But some are different—stronger, with strange powers. They do not speak like the others.’ ”

“Your Majesty,” Dalinar said, stepping up to the spanreed writing table, speaking more urgently—as if the emperor and his ministers could hear his passion through the written word. “I need to talk to you directly. I can come myself, through the portal we wrote of earlier. We must get it working again.

”I wonder, is this just stormform or one of the other Unmade-associated forms (Decayform, Smokeform, Nightform) mentioned in the WoR epigraphs?

The part about Adolin feeling a "pulse of Radiance" and seeing himself perfected is by far the strongest evidence I've seen so far that he'll become a KR. I know some people may think that's just Renarin using regrowth, but we never had any indication that the people Lift healed felt anything remotely similar. 

A pulse of Radiance washed through Adolin, and for an instant he saw himself perfected. A version of himself that was somehow complete and whole, the man he could be.

I wasn't a huge fan of Adolin becoming a KR himself, as I thought that would make the entire Kholin family too conveniently central in the future of Roshar. But alas. 

Finally, the fact that some Parshendi/voidbringers are negotiating, while others raided supplies, and others stole ships, makes me think that at least some of the Unmade are already leading their own separate factions and telling them exactly what to do. Not looking great for team Honor/anti-Rayse so far lol. 

Edited by dantlee

13 minutes ago, dantlee said:

Dalinar, you poor, old fool. What is Mr. T going to do to you now? 

Also, was Dalinar referencing Szeth's old honorblade when he mentioned a workaround for not having the Dour Idiot around to fly to oathgates and open them from the other side? 

I'm sure that he was. This passage seems to directly imply it

Spoiler

A troubling problem, but one that Dalinar thought he might have an answer to. There was a weapon that he’d decided to keep hidden for now. It might work as well as a Radiant’s Shardblade in opening the Oathgates— and might let someone reach Thaylen City by flight.