Ashyn: Infodump and Theorizing

SilverTiger

On 9/16/2017 at 1:11 PM, Blightsong said:

Doesn't the magic here, where you obtain sicknesses and gain magic from them, kind of sound like the Old Magic from Roshar? The sickness acts as a curse and the magic as the boon. We know that it is likely that people came in to Roshar from Ashyn after whatever cataclysm happened there, so them calling it the 'old magic' makes sense.

This sounds a lot like what we read about in Baxil's interlude in WoK:

“A few got what they wanted. Most all of them regretted the curse, save my father. He got a heap of good cloth; sold it to keep us from starving during the lurnip famine a few decades ago.”

“What was his curse?” Baxil said.

“Saw the world upside down from then on.”

“Really?”

“Yeah,” Av said. “Twisted all about. Like people walk on the ceilings and the sky was underneath him. Said he got used to it pretty quickly, though, and didn’t really think it a curse by the time he died.”

-The Way of Kings, Interlude 7 (Baxil)

On 2017-09-17 at 9:13 AM, SilverTiger said:

There is no shardpool on Ashyn, and there is no evidence that people came to it from Roshar. But the idea that Ashyn and its inhabitants might come into play against Odium in SA is interesting, especially if he was responsible for the Cataclysm.

You don't need a shard pool to go there if you are the right kind of Radiant. At least for Elsecallers, they make a mini-perpendicularity that they can hop through. Jasnah's magic let's her open and close doors way easier than other people can. We have a WOB that it works this way. What I don't know is if this power works on any world or if Eslecallers (or other orders) can only do it on Roshar. 

From what we know about world-walking in the cognitive realm, it seems like a fairly do-able process for an experiences Elsecaller to go out and explore. Perhaps her Spren is what holds her back? But we have not enough information here. My guess is that a Radiant can at least take their Spren to other planets in the Roshar system, since there must be SOME connection to Cultivation and Honour in these other worlds simply due to proximity and the history of the solar system. Those 10 gas giants really do seem connected to the base-ten investiture of Surgebinding. 

Edited by teknopathetic

19 minutes ago, teknopathetic said:

You don't need a shard pool to go there if you are the right kind of Radiant. At least for Elsecallers, they make a mini-perpendicularity that they can hop through. Jasnah's magic let's her open and close doors way easier than other people can. We have a WOB that it works this way. What I don't know is if this power works on any world or if Eslecallers (or other orders) can only do it on Roshar. 

The Elsecaller leaving shouldn't be an issue. If they knew where they were going, they could probably teleport straight there, and bypass any need to traverse Shadesmar. 

The issue comes down to two factors, one you mentioned us the Spren. Depending on how tightly the Spren are bound to Roshar, they may not be able to leave the planet at all without some kind of work around, and without the Spren, the Elsecaller becomes stuck whereever they are. 

Second, and assuming the first issue has been dealt with is Stormlight. The Oathgates already show us that the Transportation surge is expensive. We don't know what causes that cost to rise/fall. We don't the distance limitations, if any, and how that is tied to the cost. If an Elsecaller (or Willshaper) were to make it to a world without a perpendicularity, and didn't have the stormlight to leave again... 

• 1 year later...

Two inputs, though i'm not so familiar with the Cosmere yet:

1. During his vision of travelling with the Stormfather in WoK, Kaladin sees a people living in an upside-down city. That is probably on Roshar since, well, highstorm's vision, but it could indicate descendants from Ashyn who are more comfortable with this.

2. Hollow world that cracked. The sky is filled with lava. Assuming the sky counts as up and the center of gravity is down towards the planet's core, the world could contain vast caverns with stalagtites (-mites?) hanging down from its roof, pointing towards the planet's core. Well, shatter the crust and you get lines of magma in the sky if the cavern is deep enough in the planet's core. I mean you get all kinds of issues with ventilation and cooling but... (also, Shattered Plains connected? If Ashyn was a kind of first battleground...)

1 hour ago, ardrel said:

Two inputs, though i'm not so familiar with the Cosmere yet:

1. During his vision of travelling with the Stormfather in WoK, Kaladin sees a people living in an upside-down city. That is probably on Roshar since, well, highstorm's vision, but it could indicate descendants from Ashyn who are more comfortable with this.

2. Hollow world that cracked. The sky is filled with lava. Assuming the sky counts as up and the center of gravity is down towards the planet's core, the world could contain vast caverns with stalagtites (-mites?) hanging down from its roof, pointing towards the planet's core. Well, shatter the crust and you get lines of magma in the sky if the cavern is deep enough in the planet's core. I mean you get all kinds of issues with ventilation and cooling but... (also, Shattered Plains connected? If Ashyn was a kind of first battleground...)

FYI, this post is from 2017. Generally, if you have new thoughts on an old post, it's best to create a new post, rather than "necro" as we call it. We've gotten a lot of answers to the OP's questions since then. Ashyn was the planet that the humans came from, but they evacuated it a long time before the story Silence Divine that Brandon wants to write.

• Chaos locked this topic