Mistborn Chess Era 2

Faceless Mist-Wraith

Here it is! Sorry that it took so long. I tried to come up with a different mechanic since people weren't big on every piece having an activatable ability. This time I tried to keep that to a minimum where I could, and instead have abilities that were more like status affects.

If you have not read all of the Wax and Wayne/Era 2 books, please be warned that I have used characters from across the current 3 books, so there are potential spoilers.

Spoiler

Layout: Normal chessboard

• Black: The Set
  • White: The Law (still moves first)

Each side has its own moves and abilities. The rules for pawns depend on the king. Rules for castling remain the same.

• Pawns: Constables/Vanishers/Set Members
    • If a pawn reaches the other side, it can be promoted to any of the other pieces, abilities included.

Order:

• King: Wax
    • Move set: King (moves 2 spaces and can go through/jump over allies)
    • Special ability: Constable
      • Pawns may move 2 spaces during a turn if they are next to another pawn at the beginning of the turn.
  • Queen: Steris
    • Move set: Queen
    • Special ability: Organization
      • Steris may move an adjacent ally to the space on the opposite side of her.
  • Bishop: MeLaan
    • Move set: Bishop
    • Special ability: Mimicry/Shapeshifting
      • Immediately after taking a piece a MeLaan can choose to switch to the move set of the taken piece. The player must state this is being done. MeLaan will then use this move set until she takes another piece, at which point the player will have the choice of returning to the Bishop move set or imitating the taken piece. Repeat as necessary.
  • Knight: Wayne
    • Move set: Knight
    • Special ability: Slider
      • (One time use per knight) Wayne puts up a speed bubble, making it such that only pieces that are within the boundary of a knight's move may move. The bubble is broken once Wayne moves or is taken.
  • (Alt.) Knight: Marasi
    • Special ability: Pulser
      • (One time use per knight) Marasi puts up a speed bubble, freezing all pieces (herself included) within the boundary of a knight's move. Bubble is broken once player states bubble is down or Marasi is taken. Putting the bubble down takes a turn.
  • Rook: Ranette
    • Move set: Rook
    • Special ability: Weapon support
      • Pieces adjacent to Ranette are "supported" and can not be taken by any piece lower than their value + 1. Ex: If Ranette was next to a knight, that knight would be safe from pawns and knights. Value goes Pawn<Knight<Bishop<Rook<Queen. (Excludes Kings and queens).

The Set:

• King: Edwarn Ladrian
    • Move set: King (Moves 2 spaces)
    • Special ability: Hemalurgy Knowledge
      • Pawns may move 1 extra space for each piece they take. This applies to all pawns, in that if a pawn takes a piece, all pawns may now move an extra space. This count moves down for each pawn the opponent takes, with the base being 1.
  • (Alt.) King: Miles Dagouter
    • Move set: King (Moves 2 spaces)
    • Special ability: Vanisher mobility
      • Pawns may hop over other diagonally adjacent ally pawns. This is similar to checkers, in that it may stack if pawns are lined up correctly. A pawn can not take a piece at the end of these jumps.
  • Queen: Telsin
    • Move set: Queen
    • Special ability: Personal Hemalurgy
      • Anytime Telsin takes a piece, the player may choose to use that piece's ability the next time they move Telsin. The ability is lost after the queen is moved or uses the ability.
  • Bishop: Paalm
    • Move set: Bishop
    • Special ability: Steel feruchemy
      • Palm is able to store and tap steel, and as a result can not be affected by time bubbles.
  • Knight: Push
    • Special ability: Coinshot
      • (One time use per knight) Push may use his allomancy, making it so that whichever piece the opposing player moves next turn must move away from Push.
  • (Alt.) Knight: Pull
    • Special ability: Lurcher
      • (One time use per knight) Pull may use his allomancy, making it so that whichever piece the opposing player moves next turn must move towards Pull.
  • Rook: Tarson
    • Move set: Rook
    • Special ability: Koloss Blooded Thug
      • Tarson has increased strength and durability, as a result he can not be taken by pawns, and can ignore Ranette's support.

This is all I was able to come up with. I had a bit of difficulty with the Set side of the game, due to there being fewer named characters to choose from. I tried to make sure the pieces were balanced and able to counter each other if need be. The sections I have bold and italicized are rules I am unsure about. If you have any ideas feel free to share them! Enjoy!

Edited by Faceless Mist-Wraith
Grammer

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Just an idea (pardon my thread necromancy): maybe instead of focusing on characters, you should build pieces based on abilities, like coinshots, lurchers, thugs, steelrunners, bloodmakers and maybe skimmers. You could also make queens twinborn.

I don't really understand much about creating chess variations, but what I wrote here sounds reasonable to me.

That's an interesting idea I hadn't considered. I was originally going for named characters because I liked the idea of being able to "use" your favorite characters as part of the game, but having pieces instead be a generic metal born type could make things easier, especially like in the case of the Set where there aren't as many named characters to choose from.

If I were to make a version along those lines, it would probably be simpler to make both sides the same. That way you don't have to memorize a whole bunch of piece types and abilities.

I like the idea. I might try to do this once I have some more free time.