MONARCH

Can a surgebinder absorb the Mist ?

13 posts in this topic

I don't know if the question was answered or not,but I'm really curious that whether a surgebinder can abosorb the Mist if he/she somehow worldhops to Scadrial ...

Sanderson said that the investitures are basically the same,and that one can ''hack'' in different Cosmere magic systems.So given that the Mist is somehow produced like Stormlight ,I wonder can a surgebinder just takes a deep breath,abosrobs some Mist and stars using his/her abilities ?

There's probably some kind of hack required. I imagine it'd have to do with Identity.

Some info and comments below are based on Mistborn: Secret History and the Mistborn Era 2 books.

Spoiler

Not even most Allomancers can use the Mist; only a specific one attuned to, or attuned by, Preservation could do so. A chosen heir to his Shard, if you will. The same reason she alone heard/felt the pulsing from the Well of Ascension.

Interestingly, in Mistborn Era 2 we see that Harmony still "sends out the mists".

It will be not able by default. He would need to play with his Identity and/or Connection to be able to tap them.

But once he did it, I see no issue with him tapping from the mist.....We don't know how this would change his Surgebinding as the Mist have not the same propriety of Stormlight

The Radiant doing this would transform into a Mistbinder :-D

Edited by Toaster Retribution

50 minutes ago, Yata said:

It will be not able by default. He would need to play with his Identity and/or Connection to be able to tap them.

But once he did it, I see no issue with him tapping from the mist.....We don't know how this would change his Surgebinding as the Mist have not the same propriety of Stormlight

Yeah, again from Secret History, we see that there are ... artificial ways to engender Connection and/or Identity in a way that would almost certainly enable someone to use the mists.

47 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

The Radiant doing this would transform into a Mistbinder :-D

A Bondsmist :) or Mistrunner!

Edited by Velvet Thunder

9 minutes ago, Velvet Thunder said:

A Bondsmist :) or Mistrunner!

Mistweaver, Mistwatcher, Mistbringer...

I assume that they would have to alter their connection. Someone could use a soul stamp or similar method to change their spirit web to match up with a scadrian attuned to preservation. 

To dive a little deeper, would projectiles glance off of an edgedancer? No friction meaning that they (projectiles) wouldnt gain purchase to rip or tear into skin? 

Mistdancer!! 

1 hour ago, Head Crabs said:

I assume that they would have to alter their connection. Someone could use a soul stamp or similar method to change their spirit web to match up with a scadrian attuned to preservation. 

Likely It's not enough. Scadrian magic users can't usually tap from the Mist in a meaningful way unless they are already tapping into Preservation's Power.

This is overcomed only in some extremely special cases without an explicit Shard's action.

Probably you Will Need to be extremely connected with Preservation (much more a Lerasium Mistborn are) to properly tap the Mist

6 hours ago, Head Crabs said:

To dive a little deeper, would projectiles glance off of an edgedancer? No friction meaning that they (projectiles) wouldnt gain purchase to rip or tear into skin? 

Mistdancer!! 

Steeldancer is cooler. I guarantee it.