Need advice on the writing language

Mierinx

Hello everyone,

I've been writing for a long time now and I tried to write things both in my native language and in English as well.. 

When I write in my native language, and then when I edit what I have written, I really don't like what I've written. Some parts I want to re-write, some parts I really want to throw away, some parts do not event click with the rest. 

When I write in English, though I didn't acquire the language, I seem to find words that better suit the mood and the need of the writing. (I'm teaching English at a university) Somehow, I think writing in English produces more effective results for my writing.

Lately, I've been thinking to focus on a work; got a couple of good ideas that I may concentrate than the rest; and if I want to get it published, I wouldn't know what to do because getting a work in English in my country is pretty useless. No one would know about it or would even want to buy it. I have close-to-non-existent knowledge about how things work in other countries. 

I wanted to make a post maybe someone can give me some advice on to what to do. Hope this is a right place to do so.

D.

Have you listened to the episodes of writing excuses in which they talk about the process of getting published? A lot of that would be relevant, especially because if you're writing in English, you'll probably want to submit your work to a British or American publisher (or Australian or New Zealand...ish? if that's closer by).

The thing you mention about language is quite interesting from my perspective. I've basically stopped reading fantasy in my native language (apart from those actually written in my language) because I think many English words have a far better 'ring' or 'kick' to it than the equivalent dutch words where the fantasy and science fiction genres are considered, which just makes an English story a better and easier read.

Edited by randuir

1 hour ago, randuir said:

Have you listened to the episodes of writing excuses in which they talk about the process of getting published? A lot of that would be relevant, especially because if you're writing in English, you'll probably want to submit your work to a British or American publisher (or Australian or New Zealand...ish? if that's closer by).

I've recently taken up Writing Excuses; I'll get there eventually I guess.

It might be silly to say but I think I know English better than I do my own native language. I think that's why I'm torn in between, but I agree with everything you said :)

10 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

So I'm not the only one to feel that different languages ring better for different things.

And yes, I also feel that english is much better suited for fantasy or sci/fi over my native italian.

"And oh yes, I am not alone" is what I first thought when I read your message :)

It's good to remember that, if you're going to get published, you'll be writing several drafts. (And there's no law that says they all have to be in the same language.) Word choice and dialogue are the LAST things you fix. Those are final-draft revisions. Your first few drafts are for fixing the character and plot, which are the same in every language. I think it was Terry Pratchett who said, "for the first draft, you're just telling yourself the story."

So, to start, I'd recommend writing in whatever language you're most comfortable with. Then, when you have a great story, you can have that translated into any language in the world. 

But in terms of publishing, I don't think geography should be a problem. If you write something in English, I'm sure you can send it to New York and London publishers. Here's a Writing Excuses that might clear things up. http://www.writingexcuses.com/2014/08/10/writing-excuses-9-33-microcasting/

1 hour ago, Belzedar said:

It's good to remember that, if you're going to get published, you'll be writing several drafts. (And there's no law that says they all have to be in the same language.) Word choice and dialogue are the LAST things you fix. Those are final-draft revisions. Your first few drafts are for fixing the character and plot, which are the same in every language. I think it was Terry Pratchett who said, "for the first draft, you're just telling yourself the story."

So, to start, I'd recommend writing in whatever language you're most comfortable with. Then, when you have a great story, you can have that translated into any language in the world. 

But in terms of publishing, I don't think geography should be a problem. If you write something in English, I'm sure you can send it to New York and London publishers. Here's a Writing Excuses that might clear things up. http://www.writingexcuses.com/2014/08/10/writing-excuses-9-33-microcasting/

After reading the comments, and talking to some friends, I decided to go with English.. at least the ones that I want to write from now on... As you said, I'm more comfortable with English: whenever I take some notes, I find myself writing them in English (I noticed that I'm also "thinking" in English)

I'm still listening to Writing Excuses: going slowly; I think I'll follow the seasons in order until I get there :D Don't want to ruin the adventure .

Thanks.