how does lift make food into stormlight?

Jude

I think she feeds off the spren in everything because kaladin mother says everything has a spren. but if that was true she could eat a rock and get stormlight tell me what you think. also, how do you think she can touch her spren windle?

Wyndel explains why she can touch him

"you must be partially in the Cognitive Realm" 

As far as her ability, she has to be able to metabolize something to convert it to Stormlight. It's not spren, it's that she is partially a Cognitive being now, just like spren are completely Cognitive. So her body turns nutrients into Stormlight. 

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1133#65

ARGENT

Does Lift turn food into investiture directly or is it similar to the metals on--

BRANDON SANDERSON

Similar to the metals.

ARGENT

So like a gate?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes.

ARGENT

Okay, that’s good to know.

BRANDON SANDERSON

She can metabolize-- She can draw-- It’s not actually the food, it’s-- It’s not like the metals, not exactly. It’s not-- What she can do is she can metabolize into investiture instead of sugar. Does that make sense?

ARGENT

Yeah.

BRANDON SANDERSON

We metabolize food into sugar. She can metabolize it into investiture. Does that make sense?

ARGENT

That makes a lot of sense. So if she eats--

BRANDON SANDERSON

She’s got to have a blood sugar spike.

ARGENT

So if she eats like a cake it will give her more investiture--

BRANDON SANDERSON

Faster. It will give her faster.

ARGENT

Whereas if she eats a vegetable...

BRANDON SANDERSON

Vegetable... More calories is going to equal more. But the better comparison would be a sausage and bread. Because bread is a fast blood sugar spike and the sausage is not. And that’s how I’m working in my head. It’s kind of a magical version of a blood sugar spike and I have it happen to her faster than it could happen. Like normally you eat a piece of bread and your blood sugar spikes in a half hour, it’s going to go faster for Lift.

ARGENT

Her’s is like five minutes.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Her’s is like five minutes, but a sausage would be slower.

So, fun question then.  If Lift is using food as a gate to investiture, like Scadrial's metals, what would happen if she went to Scadrial and used a connection medallion? Would she, while tapping connection from an unkeyed metalmind, be able to use food to fuel Allomancy?

20 minutes ago, Stark said:

So, fun question then.  If Lift is using food as a gate to investiture, like Scadrial's metals, what would happen if she went to Scadrial and used a connection medallion? Would she, while tapping connection from an unkeyed metalmind, be able to use food to fuel Allomancy?

I think she'd still need the sDNA to channel the investiture into the correct allomantic form

1 hour ago, Lazarus52980 said:

Now if she REALLY wants to make some stormlight, she just needs to drink a few cans of soda.  Lots of sugar means lots of investure super fast!  Maybe convert Horneater lager into soda?  Horneater peak dew?

Ha yes, this will be a hit in roshar.  but how rock would say it "this thing good but need shells".^_^^_^

So Lift converts food into Investiture rather than glucose. A better question seems to be, can she NOT do so?

Like, does her body actually live on food any more, or is she completely Investiture driven, but with a human digestive system that has been Macgyvered into an Investiture engine?

What if she's become sort of like a bipedal Nightblood, someone who subsists completely on Investiture, except that she eats food to do it?

And can she draw on Investiture by sucking in Stormlight from a sphere the way "normal" Surgebinders do? That would be akin to the "what happens to Nightblood in a highstorm" question.

On 9/8/2017 at 4:40 PM, Lazarus52980 said:

Fresh from the peaks is HPD! (Horneater Peak Dew) Now with more shells!

Power Thirst!  It's like Investiture in a can!  It's Investiture in a Can! It's INVESTITURE!

Drink our Liquid Awesomness and Darkness will never hold you down again!

Was it theorized whether Lift can channel her investiture into the gems? I suppose she can as all Radiants can, but could we treat her as an unlimited supply of Stormlight? It would be especially usefull during the Weepings. As long as she has something to eat, the Investiture is available for those around her.

Also : can a solucaster with infused gems change rocks into food and give it to Lift? How efficient would it be if she had eaten that food? Possibly the law of diminishing returs would come into play, but an idea is interesting (and most likely discussed many times already). 

4 hours ago, Hyarmenatan said:

Was it theorized whether Lift can channel her investiture into the gems? I suppose she can as all Radiants can, but could we treat her as an unlimited supply of Stormlight? It would be especially usefull during the Weepings. As long as she has something to eat, the Investiture is available for those around her.

Also : can a solucaster with infused gems change rocks into food and give it to Lift? How efficient would it be if she had eaten that food? Possibly the law of diminishing returs would come into play, but an idea is interesting (and most likely discussed many times already). 

I see no reason for her to not be able to fill gems. His Surges allow her ti emit Investiture (something I am unsure all' the order could do to be honest).

About Feed her with soulcasted food...I think It Will work really poorly. Soulcasting consume a lot of Investiture and Lift didn't seem to produce a lot of stormlight 

59 minutes ago, Laryyl said:

I asked Sanderson if she could get Stormlight from spheres like normal or if it's just from food for her I was totally expecting a RAFO but he told me she can only get it from food. I also asked which it was related to her boon or her curse which he did RAFO.

HOLY CRAP! ALL THE UPVOTES! 

3 hours ago, Laryyl said:

I asked Sanderson if she could get Stormlight from spheres like normal or if it's just from food for her I was totally expecting a RAFO but he told me she can only get it from food. I also asked which it was related to her boon or her curse which he did RAFO.

Do you have a link or transcript for this? When was it? I'm sure I've seen this before but I'm wondering if there's anything more concrete or less paraphrased for officially documenting? Its an important one and good get :)

Also

“I got two powers,” Lift said. “I can slide around, awesome, and I can make stuff grow. So I could grow me some plants to eat?” “It would almost certainly take more energy in Stormlight to grow the plants than the sustenance would provide, as determined by the laws of the universe. And before you say anything, these are laws that even you cannot ignore.” 

And i have little doubt that she could feed allomancy with stormlight generated from metabolising food IF she can hack allomancy to allow it to accept that investiture. Here's one that goes the other way

"Q: If someone used Hemalurgy to give Lift from Words of Radiance the ability to use Bendalloy Feruchemy, could she convert the nutrition she gets out of Feruchemy into stormlight?

A: Theoretically possible, I suppose."

Edited by Extesian

On 9/9/2017 at 6:53 AM, robardin said:

So Lift converts food into Investiture rather than glucose. A better question seems to be, can she NOT do so?

Like, does her body actually live on food any more, or is she completely Investiture driven, but with a human digestive system that has been Macgyvered into an Investiture engine?

What if she's become sort of like a bipedal Nightblood, someone who subsists completely on Investiture, except that she eats food to do it?

And can she draw on Investiture by sucking in Stormlight from a sphere the way "normal" Surgebinders do? That would be akin to the "what happens to Nightblood in a highstorm" question.

She seems to choose whether her food becomes Investiture or glucose. If she doesn't convert it to Investiture within a certain time frame she can't use it and has to eat more.

2 hours ago, Extesian said:

Do you have a link or transcript for this? When was it? I'm sure I've seen this before but I'm wondering if there's anything more concrete or less paraphrased for officially documenting? Its an important one and good get :)

Also

And i have little doubt that she could feed allomancy with stormlight generated from metabolising food IF she can hack allomancy to allow it to accept that investiture. Here's one that goes the other way

No I don't. I asked him when he came to CO for the Arcanum Unbounded book signing so me and my friend were the only ones to hear him. I'm surprised I can't seem to find it anywhere there's been a Q/A with him, I thought others would have asked him.

15 hours ago, Laryyl said:

Ok what? Yo. That's crazy. She can't breathe in storm light. That's crazy 

On 9/8/2017 at 11:53 AM, Calderis said:

ARGENT

That makes a lot of sense. So if she eats--

BRANDON SANDERSON

She’s got to have a blood sugar spike.

My theory:  Brandon is being misleading here.  I think she has a hemalurgic spike made out of sugar!

Edited by anna

I almost feel bad, but I have to.  Spoilered for length.

Spoiler

Extra points if you use the voice in your head

Hey, do you wanna feel so awesome? Try Powerthirst. Energy drinks for people who need gratuitous amounts of awesomeness. With all new flavors like Shockolate. Shockolate energy, it’s like adding chocolate to a highstorm. Sound the alarm, you’re gonna be uncomfortably awesome.

What’s that? You want strawberry? Well how about Rawberry? Made with lightning, real lightning. Sports (aaahhhhhh!). You’ll be good at them. It’s an awesomeness drink for men. Mawesome. These aren’t your Herdazian uncle’s puns, these are awesome puns. Turbopuns.

Fabrials, awesomeness, fabrials, awesomeness, electrolyes, stormlytes, powerlytes, more lights than your body has room for. You’ll be so fast, Cultivation will be like, “Sloooooowwww dooowwwwnn.” And you’ll be like, “Storm you!” and kick her in the face with your awesome legs.

You’ll have so much awesomeness, energy (aaaahhhhh!) just running all the time. Power running, power sliding, power growing, power healing, power eating, power laughing, power spawning squires. You’ll have so many squires. 400 squires.

Give Shockolate to your babies and they’ll be good at sports. Make your babies run abnormally fast. They’ll run as fast as Aimians. People will watch them running and think they’re Aimians. They’ll race as fast as Aimians, in a race with actual Aimians, and it’ll be a tie, and they’ll get deported back to Aimia.

Hey, go with the sure thing. Don’t gamble on your awesomeness (snake eyes!). Try Powerthirst, the energy that will make you (aaahhh!) sports (aaahhh!).

I modified the text a little bit...

Spoiler

What are you waiting for?!

What if everything you ever wanted came in a shardplate can? PowerThirst. Shardplate Edition!

With all new flavors like Shellshock! Stormblast! And Shardblade! You’ve had the worst, now try the thirst…quencher.

Power Thirst. Side effects include glowing sweat. Use your sweaty body to fuel sweet Oathgate rave parties. PowerThirst. Anything is possible.

Whitespine-blasting, the sport you’ll invent because you’ll be too awesome for normal sports. You’ll feel like a chasmfiend made of biceps.

What about me and my dark eyes? Juice Sprensteen. Turn that everyman into a beveryman. Bevery stands for beverage!

We interrupt this advertisement to blow your mind! PowerThirst now comes in Women! Now with preposterous amounts of testosterone. Preposterone! Think fast Roshone. Power Thirst now comes in safepouches. Hump-chulling. Similar to whitespine-blasting.

Oh Honor, why have you forsaken me?

Can it. When God gives you desolations, you find a new God. PowerThirst…Godberry, King of the juice.

Unacceptable. Drink PowerThirst and you’ll win at everything forever. You’ll win at running, bridges, arson, weddings, and art! You’ll even win at irony! Top score.

Still unconvinced? Well check out these testimonials from real Power Thirst drinkers.

Testimonial 1: “400 squires.”

Testemonial 2: -blinks an twitches

Testemonial 3: “Power Thirst. It’s really ahhhhhh!” “Aaahhhh!”

Alright! PowerThirst, it’s like Investiture in a can. It’s Investiture in a can. PowerThirst is Investiture. Warning, may contain Hoid.