Should I read the prose version or wait for the graphic novel releases?

btcannon

To those of you who have read the prose version of White Sand, are you glad you did, or would you recommend I (who have read the first graphic novel but not the prose version) wait for the subsequent graphic novel releases? I want all the Cosmere info I can get, but I also don't want to ruin the story for myself prematurely. Advice?

I've only read the first third or so of the prose version, and of course the graphic novel version. 

Personally, I'm going to just read the prose version. I VASTLY prefer prose. 

However, there's one problem, especially if you're going for cosmere details. While, most likely no major cosmere affecting things will change between the prose and graphic novel versions, lots of little things have changed. In the prose version, there are 9 ranks, in the graphic novel there are seven, in prose the police woman is a man.

Basically, I'm going to read the prose version, and learn the details of the different canon whenever necessary.  

On 9/7/2017 at 4:30 PM, btcannon said:

To those of you who have read the prose version of White Sand, are you glad you did, or would you recommend I (who have read the first graphic novel but not the prose version) wait for the subsequent graphic novel releases? I want all the Cosmere info I can get, but I also don't want to ruin the story for myself prematurely. Advice?

The White Sand prose is probably my favorite story that Brandon has written. If he had published it as a book, it would be my favorite book of his. That being said, I wasn't able to pick out any more cosmere-related information from it than any other cosmere book, and it isn't generally discussed, so if you are reading it just for the sake of that I would recommend waiting to read it until after the graphic novels come out (or if you like the graphic novels, maybe you don't even have to ever read the prose version)

I vastly enjoyed the Prose version and was confused about the graphic novel. I'm still going to get them for the sake of knowing what's canon, but in my heart, the Prose version will but what's true. I would have much preferred Brandon just published a revised version of the book, but I'll admit that it works well enough as the graphic novel. I'd highly recommend reading the Prose version, as long as you're okay with there being differences (mostly names, missing scenes, and gender swaps).

As for Cosmere information, there isn't too much, maybe as much as Elantris or the first Mistborn book. There are a few tidbits that should be interesting, but my favourite part of it was being able to be inside Khriss's mind, as later on she becomes a major worldhopper.