New novella - Silverlight, First of the Sun or non-Cosmere?

Extesian

Brandon will be writing novellas in between Apocalypse Guard stories. My top choice was always Silverlight, and he's confirmed that's an option. But he's also said that he has several First of the Sun plotted, which makes me enormously excited. I still choose Silverlight coz I'm a realmatic lore fiend, but FotS could show more interesting realmatic stuff, shed light on Shards and non-Shardworlds, and give a glimpse into the Cosmere's future.

[–]falschneun

Hmmm, I just read this timetable update then went back and read State of the Sanderson 2016. I think there is a decent chance that the novella between The Apocalypse Guard 2 and 3 could be Silverlight. Could we be so lucky, /u/mistborn?

[–]mistborn

There's a decent chance. I've also got several on First of the Sun plotted, which are possibilities--and even a Threnody story I want to do. However, there's also a non-cosmere "minority report" style thriller I want to write, and a more thoughtful story about a world where big data predicts all of our choices. So...who knows.

WHICH DO YOU CHOOSE?

and why is it Silverlight?

I hope Brandon is itching to get some more cosmere out by the time he's writing this novel (since we'll certainly be desperate for new stories), and decides to work on a cosmere story. Something meaty would be nice. Silverlight will be Secret History all over again. Threnody has been a bit of a mystery, and it was part of the original outline, so that would be neat to hopefully get some info about Ambition. And Silence Divine has been floating around for a while, as well. Any of those three, and I'd be happy. Another First of the Sun story, that wouldn't be bad; Sixth of the Dusk is my favorite short piece of Brandon's, a real classic of a sci-fi story. Just as long as we don't get Lopen the First: King of Alethkar.

Is there any reason this isn't an actual poll?

Considering that he already completed the Apocalypse Guard Book #1, (along with Oathbreaker before that), he may need a "break" to clear his mind and get the novella thing out. Anything that is non-Cosmere seems to be on its way in my opinion. So he can focus on the more complicated things in the future.. 

On the other side, whatever the dude writes, we'll probably read and expect more and more to come after that is also finished :)

2 hours ago, Mierinx said:

Considering that he already completed the Apocalypse Guard Book #1, (along with Oathbreaker before that), he may need a "break" to clear his mind and get the novella thing out. Anything that is non-Cosmere seems to be on its way in my opinion. So he can focus on the more complicated things in the future.. 

On the other side, whatever the dude writes, we'll probably read and expect more and more to come after that is also finished :)

Legion 3 is his first break novella, which he'll be working on this September.

3 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

Legion 3 is his first break novella, which he'll be working on this September.

YYYYAAAASSSS! I love Legion.

Actually, I would like to see him write Adamant, which is the series of novellas that he said he would have another author help write to give a different feel to it. So, yeah.

• 3 months later...
49 minutes ago, Sazedezas said:

When he said in his postscript that we were unlikely to see anything else on FotS, it broke my heart, so if he's suddenly decided to go back on that I would be the happiest reader on the planet (probably on any planet, inside or outside of the cosmere).

Recently he said to have an idea about Sixt of the Dusk exploring Shadesmar.

Sixth of the Dusk for sure. It was well thought out, it had an interesting well-contained plot that left me hanging. I loved the dichotomy between the old traditions and the new advances in science, and I think that is especially relevant to where we are in the cosmere now (with the advance of science in SA through fabrials and scholars, the increase of technology in MB, etc). This short story could also give us some crumbs that could get us excited for more MB.

I feel it may be too early to get a Silverlight novella. A lot of SA's plot points seem to revolve around discovering the cognitive realm, and I would be sad to see those crumbs overshadowed by a massive reveal in Silverlight. 

• 1 month later...

I, personally, would be thrilled to have more set with Sixth of the Dusk as his straight Polynesian culture examination was fantastic. If he set more in the setting that would be a great piece to explore and flesh out.

However, another Threnody novel would be amazing. My reasoning behind that idea is that since Mistborn The Original Trilogy that was arguably the "darkest" story he has written, and he can actually write that kind of story very well. I would be enthused if he wrote another from that perspective, in a world where the shadows are encroaching and just surviving another day is a struggle. It would be very interesting to see.