What is the best moment in The Stormlight Archive?

ICanDream

"honor is dead, but i'll see what i can do"

i think it's the last line of the chapter before "whitespine uncaged." (circa chapter 53 or so of WoR)

gave me chills like no other moment in a book EVER has. literally.

Edited by bridge4

My favorite moment is when Kaladin saves Dalinar from the Parshendi Shardbearer, after going back for the army with Bridge 4. There was epic music playing in my head during that entire battle.:)

Edited by Tate

4 hours ago, bridge4 said:

"honor is dead, but i'll see what i can do"

i think it's the last line of the chapter before "whitespine uncaged." (circa chapter 53 or so of WoR)

gave me chills like no other moment in a book EVER has. literally.

I think a have to agree with you there.

Although I also liked the part at the end of WoR when Szeth found out he wasn't truthless.

I'll have to go with the 4 shardbearers duel.  I'd been waiting so long for a chance for Kaladin to shine in a setting like that, before all the lighteyes.  I was constantly thinking, "Oh my gosh, yeeessss!"  And then Kaladin accused Amaram and was arrested and my line of thought switched to,"Nooooo!"  At the best moment, he just lost everything.

Kaladin's "Honor is dead" line really stands out for me too.

But my favorite moment has to be be when Kaladin speaks his first oath. 

The lighteyes don’t care about life, Lirin had said. So I must. So we must.

So you must. …

Life before death.

I’ve failed so often. I’ve been knocked to the ground and trod upon.

Strength before weakness.

This would be death I’d lead my friends to

Journey before destination.

death, and what is right.

“We have to go back,” Kaladin said softly. “Storm it, we have to go back.”

Chills every time. 

11 hours ago, Tate said:

My favorite moment is when Kaladin saves Dalinar from the Parshendi Shardbearer, after going back for the army with Bridge 4. There was epic music playing in my head during that entire battle.:)

Oh good one. That makes me want to get the graphic audio for it. It's so expensive tho. One day I might cave tho :)

On 9/3/2017 at 7:26 AM, bridge4 said:

Oh good one. That makes me want to get the graphic audio for it. It's so expensive tho. One day I might cave tho :)

The Graphic Audio is really good. Not only are they my favorite books, I think they're GA's best work so far (that I've heard at least).

To add to the topic, my favorite scenes have already been mentioned (Honor is dead, duel), so I'll add my second favorite to the list.

Syl standing against the storm trying to shield Kaladin, and then fighting off the deathspren are tied. Makes me choke up every time.

Edited by Ansalem

1 hour ago, Ansalem said:

The Graphic Audio is really good. Not only are they my favorite books, I think they're GA's best work so far (that I've heard at least).

To add to the topic, my favorite scenes have already been mentioned (Honor is dead, duel), so I'll add my second favorite to the list.

Syl standing against the storm trying to shield Kaladin, and then fighting off the deathspren are tied. Makes me choke up every time.

good call! did you read the new chapters yet (came out 45 minutes ago). i just finished. absolutely incredible!

https://www.tor.com/2017/09/05/oathbringer-by-brandon-sanderson-chapters-4-6/

Best two comedy moments: 

"I am a stick!"

Shallan hugging Hoid.

Oathbringer spoilers from today for the new best scene:

Spoiler

"He [Roshone] turned toward Kaladin, lit by candles on the walls. “So, you’re alive. They didn’t teach you to keep yourself in the army, I see. Let me have a look at those brands of yours.” He reached over and held up the hair in front of Kaladin’s forehead. “Storms, boy. What did you do? Hit a lighteyes?”

“Yes,” Kaladin said. Then punched him."

Edited by Fifth of Daybreak
New Oathbringer chapters released.

My favorite line in SA is the conversation between Kaladin and Zahel/Vasher in Chapter 81 of WoR.

“Have you ever had to choose between two equally distasteful choices?”

“Every day I choose to keep breathing.”

“I worry something awful is going to happen,” Kaladin said. “I can prevent it, but the awful thing… it might be best for everyone if it does happen.”

“Huh,” Zahel said.

“No advice?” Kaladin asked.

“Choose the option,” Zahel said, rearranging his pillow, “that makes it easiest for you to sleep at night.” The old ardent closed his eyes and settled back. “That’s what I wish I’d done.”

That last line "Choose the option, that makes it easiest to sleep at night" really spoke to me. I think that it is a great piece of advise, and it come at a major turning point in the book and help Kaladin to choose to, well you know, save several of the most powerful people on Roshar.

I've revised my favourite scenes since my last re-read of WoK and WoR. I've managed to narrow it down to three;

1) Kaladin & Adolin arena battle - This was one of the most gripping battles of the books, in my opinion. I imagine it's because the odds were so stacked against Kal and Adolin, so I was genuinely interested to see how they would overcome the challenge. Plus I enjoyed the budding bromance between the two of them.

2) The chasm scene - Although I was ambivalent to romance in SA, I approached this scene with an open mind. And I was so pleasantly surprised by it. The chemistry was palpable, so wonderfully written and emotional. Probably one of my favourite romance scenes written by Brandon Sanderson. I particularly loved the subtlety of it. More than even the romance, there is an undeniable level of character development, particularly on the part of Kaladin.

3) Kaladin saves Dalinar/Kaladin vs Szeth - I don't think this one requires an explanation to be honest! Kaladin finally revealing himself as a radiant to the Kholin's was something I was greatly anticipating the entire way through the book. Szeth vs Kaladin was a battle of truly epic proportions.

• Chaos locked this topic