Is there any thing in Stormlight you don't like?

ICanDream

• 1 month later...

My only issue is the pacing of the books, though perhaps pacing is not the right word for it.  We're (over) two (large) books into this series and yet we've only covered a time period of a couple of months. There are so many things I'm dying to have the answers to that it has become almost frustrating to read.. Things that have been teased and teased, and there's still no payoff in sight. Brandon is incredible at foreshadowing, but I've often felt he's overly stingy with some of the secrets he's holding out on. Hopefully Oathbringer gives us some of the answers we were hoping for in WoR.

I disliked that Shallan suddenly had too many successes in WoR - converting deserters,  handling the alethi court, outspying spies, outscholaring scholars. She made some minor mistakes, but recovered fast and had no significant failure, which made it less believable for me. I disliked we didn't learn about her early childhood and I hope Ars Arcanum is wrong when it puts Honesty as one the Divine attributes for LW, because I do not see Shallan as representing that quality. She becomes more self aware and honest to herself, but that isn't something that works for me as acceptable interpretation of honesty in this regard.

I also disliked how slow we got into the main story in WoK - there is prelude, prologue, a flashback chapter from the PoV of a dead minor character...Suddenly it's 50 pages (give or take depending on the format) and we still haven't seen any main character in present day <_<

My main issue is with having the hardcover first edition of WoR, which is not canon anymore... xP In the long term I'll probably be ok with Brandon tweaking some things, but it's kind of akward to switch medium for a few scenes to get the "real" version. And I just love my hardcover doorstoppers/murdering weapons :-)

22 minutes ago, She Who Cannot Be Named said:

My main issue is with having the hardcover first edition of WoR, which is not canon anymore... xP In the long term I'll probably be ok with Brandon tweaking some things, but it's kind of akward to switch medium for a few scenes to get the "real" version. And I just love my hardcover doorstoppers/murdering weapons :-)

I just printed out the changed scene and stuck it in my hardcover. That's not a perfect solution, but it's better than reading a paperback or ebook. 

Just now, neithan said:

I just printed out the changed scene and stuck it in my hardcover. That's not a perfect solution, but it's better than reading a paperback or ebook. 

Thanks for the idea :) It probably won't survive lending it out, but after the last lending incident I'm opposed to do so again anyway. *grumbles about fat and chocolate spots on WoK*

21 hours ago, Coladan said:

Except he constantly fails at it. 

No, he doesn't. He saves the Kholins at the Tower, he saves the bridgemen from slavery, he saves everyone from Szeth during his first attack, he saves Elhokar from Moash, he saves Adolin and Renarin from Relis & shardbearers, and he saves Dalinar and Adolin from Szeth at the end of WoR.

On 10/17/2017 at 4:35 PM, Coladan said:

Except he constantly fails at it. 

On 10/18/2017 at 2:01 PM, Toaster Retribution said:

No, he doesn't. He saves the Kholins at the Tower, he saves the bridgemen from slavery, he saves everyone from Szeth during his first attack, he saves Elhokar from Moash, he saves Adolin and Renarin from Relis & shardbearers, and he saves Dalinar and Adolin from Szeth at the end of WoR.

Kaladin is my favorite character in just about any story ever.  But he does always save everyone all the time haha.  He fails when he needs to fail in order for his character arc to progress: i.e. Tien, *almost* breaking his bond with Syl, etc (I don't think this is a terrible thing, but it's similar to how Shallan basically succeeds at everything in WOR).  I almost think he should have failed at either 1. Saving Adolin in the 4 on 1, or 2. Saving Elokhar from Moash (he could have still said his third oath, but failed to save the king), or 3. Some other super plot-relevant moment.  

He fails when he needs to fail in order for his character arc to progress: i.e. Tien, *almost* breaking his bond with Syl, etc (I don't think this is a terrible thing, but it's similar to how Shallan basically succeeds at everything in WOR).

Kaladin didn't succeed at everything. He lost a lot of Bridge Four before Dalinar freed them, Hobber lost his legs during the first Assassin attack, and he didn't come out as a Radiant even though he knew he should. That caused a lot of grief, and likely is the cause of some more still. While it is true that Kaladin did see a lot of success these last few times, as opposed to his attempted slave revolts, Kaladin still wasn't infallible.

In WoR Kaladin refuses the call a few too many times on reread. I understand it, and it passes on the initial read, but in rereads it grates on me. There is also a little bit of characters withholding important info that would advance the story, just to not advance the story. As I said though, it makes sense in-narrative, and it worked on the first read-through. It just annoys me a bit on rereads.

Also, in the audio-book, especially WoR the male narrator does Elhokar too whiny, what he says is whiny, it's putting too much paprika on the sandwich to make his voice so whiny.

And for the record; Shallan is an amazing character.

Edited by thejopen27

I don't really have problems with the fact that Kaladin succeeds with things. What I do have problems with is that it is always he who gets to do the coolest stuff. It is always he who gets to save the day. I like Kaladin, but it does occasionally feel like he steals the spotlight from other characters.

On 9/3/2017 at 11:48 AM, Ammanas said:

With anything you can nitpick little details. I think for me the biggest issue is pacing; for such a huge book not a lot is done to move the plot forward. I think the humor could use a little work as well. 

I Couldn't agree more. I went back and read some of the theories posted just before WoR was published, and almost none of the questions people hoped to have answered in the second book were covered. I hope we see some cool stuff in Oathkeeper. Not to say I didn't enjoy the first two books immensely, but some of these things are driving me nuts. The day of recreance, shardplate, the surges we haven't seen yet, etc. I guess I'll have to just relax and rafo.

9 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I don't really have problems with the fact that Kaladin succeeds with things. What I do have problems with is that it is always he who gets to do the coolest stuff. It is always he who gets to save the day. I like Kaladin, but it does occasionally feel like he steals the spotlight from other characters.

I think this is because he's the only battle-oriented radiant we've seen in the main action so far. Once we get more of them I'm sure they'll all fight together to save the day. Kaladin was the first focus character and he's a natural fighter, Captain bodyguard to the Kholins, and as a Windrunner, possibly the only person alive who could challenge Szeth in a fair fight. It would have been odd for a normal person without surgebinding ability to do the things he did (the Tower, four on one duel, facing down two shardbearers to save the king, Szeth x 2).

I do look forward to other surgebinders fighting in future books. Magical fights are the best.

18 minutes ago, Starla said:

I think this is because he's the only battle-oriented radiant we've seen in the main action so far. Once we get more of them I'm sure they'll all fight together to save the day. Kaladin was the first focus character and he's a natural fighter, Captain bodyguard to the Kholins, and as a Windrunner, possibly the only person alive who could challenge Szeth in a fair fight. It would have been odd for a normal person without surgebinding ability to do the things he did (the Tower, four on one duel, facing down two shardbearers to save the king, Szeth x 2).

I do look forward to other surgebinders fighting in future books. Magical fights are the best.

This is true, but he wasn't needed for all of it. His fight with Szeth at Narak was awesome, and no one else but Nale could have pulled that off (and Nale helping wouldn't make sense). The duel for example: I would have liked someone else to join in the fight. Amaram could have helped, or Dalinar, or even Shallan, by way of illusions. Having Amaram helping would have given Kaladin interesting things to reflect upon, as well. 

I hope Kaladin takes the backseat in Oathbringer, and, as you say, that we can see some more fighting Radiants.

1 minute ago, Toaster Retribution said:

This is true, but he wasn't needed for all of it. His fight with Szeth at Narak was awesome, and no one else but Nale could have pulled that off (and Nale helping wouldn't make sense). The duel for example: I would have liked someone else to join in the fight. Amaram could have helped, or Dalinar, or even Shallan, by way of illusions. Having Amaram helping would have given Kaladin interesting things to reflect upon, as well. 

I hope Kaladin takes the backseat in Oathbringer, and, as you say, that we can see some more fighting Radiants.

Shallan actually had pattern help. Kaladin didn't really save Renarin. Renarin survived the duel because of Pattern.

Dalinar didn't have a blade at the time and tried in the moment to rent one, but Elhokar wouldn't let him. He was about to go anyway when Kaladin stopped him.
I think the dual is a poor scene to pick for kaladin being "too epic". there was a lot going on.

1 minute ago, Wreith said:

Shallan actually had pattern help. Kaladin didn't really save Renarin. Renarin survived the duel because of Pattern.

Dalinar didn't have a blade at the time and tried in the moment to rent one, but Elhokar wouldn't let him. He was about to go anyway when Kaladin stopped him.
I think the dual is a poor scene to pick for kaladin being "too epic". there was a lot going on.

I'm not trying to say that he is too epic, just that he steals the spotlight and saves everyone all the time. But I can also mention the first Szeth attack in WoR. Kaladin saves everyone there too. And in the end of WoK as well. They all make sense from a storytelling-perspective. They advance the plot, and the characters. But if I have one complaint with SA it is that. That it was written so that Kaladin had to be the hero everytime. 

It's not so much that resurrections and miracle healings have happened that grinds my gears; but that you can almost expect future plot mechanisms to be introduced that will allow for more of these to occur. It really takes away from the feeling of suspense in battle scenes, and the dread that you feel when losses occur.

While reading a scene im not as concerned for a favorite character because I know that if something happens its not out of the question for Brandon to bring them back or heal them in some way that I haven't learned about yet.

Mistborn Spoiler Below:

Spoiler

I liked the way it was done involving Kelsier and the Kandra, but then again that isn't technically resurrection. I feel like that reveal is the best thing I've ever read from Brandon.

As an elaboration, the whole squire thing that seems to be going on and how it relates to this is incredibly irritating despite the fact that I am sure it is necessary for future plot developments. I still don't like it at all.