Parshendi language connection

StormblessDave

So I was rereading mistborn era 2, and I came across the 'connection' section, which explains how worldhoppers manage to speak the local language. This explains how Hoid manages to speak native alethi, so can he communicate in rhythms? It's a native language to Roshar, so technically shouldn't this be possible?

Could we connect it to this?

Oathbringer prologue spoliers

Spoiler

Oathbringer prologue

The voices that guided Klade could have been using the connection?

The rhythms are not the language. They are literal rhythms that the listeners (I'm guessing this is why they named themselves such) can listen to and speak in time with. 

Connection could probably get you their language right, but unless you have the ability to attune the rhythms themselves, you'd sound like someone speaking without emotion. 

The rhythms are spiritual and exist separately to the Listeners. A bronze burner can hear them and Connection will let you use them but you may lose nuance. A copper cloud will stop them. Here's some WoBs quickly

Q: Could a Soother prevent a listener from attuning a given rhythm?
A: No. A coppercloud could, but I hadn't thought about emotional allomancy interacting. See, the rhythm isn't your emotion and doesn't determine your mood. It is a direct connection to the spiritual realm. So I guess soothing could make it harder just like it makes anything harder, in the same way that driving a car would be harder. [recording starts here] And so, for the same reasons that you can, um, it is possible that a coppercloud can play with it.  Not a normal power of a coppercloud, but you’ve seen them do stuff similar.

Yulerule: ...the parshendi didn’t have the emotions like Contempt, Ridicule [etc. before the Everstorm?]
A: They did have those emotions, but they didn’t match them to the Rhythms the same way. A wide variety of emotions can be matched to a rhythm. It doesn’t mean they didn’t have those emotions.
Yulerule: So you are saying that, like Ridicule is a new version of Amusement, they could have used ridicule but say it to Amusement? [...]
A: Yes.
Yulerule: And that’s a harsher form, Ridicule?
A: That is just how the rhythms are named. I’ll leave it to your interpretation whether they are harsher or not. A rhythm is just a beat. Whether it is harsh or not depends on the interpretation of the person listening to it. But yes, you could have ridiculed people to Amusement before.
Yulerule: But you have new rhythms.
A: You have new rhythms which have a different feel to them.

Q: Hypothetically, if all of the Listeners were to go extinct would the Rhythms still exist?

Q: Are there any other species in the cosmere that also interact with the Rhythms like the listeners do? (Though not necessarily in the same way?)

(I love that one)

AETHENOTH

Can an allomantic bronze burner hear the rhythms on Roshar?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes, this is possible.

And the most relevant to this thread

CADMIUM

Would a Connection medallion accurately interpret a Listener’s Rhythms?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes, it would, but not all of it, some would be lost in translation. You’d probably lose some of the nuance. It would probably be better to give the medallion to someone who couldn't understand it than someone who spoke it.

Edited by Extesian

2 hours ago, StormblessDave said:

Thanks for the wobs @Extesian 

So they don't rule out the possibility of the voices having been through connection.

I would say the last one rules it in quite thoroughly :) it's a good thought i didn't have till i WoB-hunted. We know Hoid has medallions. Others could of course. I'll have to think on this more but I'm interested in exploring this. I'd been lazily tipping Cultivation as the Voice before now but...

1 hour ago, Extesian said:

I would say the last one rules it in quite thoroughly :) it's a good thought i didn't have till i WoB-hunted. We know Hoid has medallions. Others could of course. I'll have to think on this more but I'm interested in exploring this. I'd been lazily tipping Cultivation as the Voice before now but...

I hope this is the dramatic entrance of Kelsier! That would be a dream come true, The Survivor in Roshar. :rolleyes:

31 minutes ago, StormblessDave said:

I hope this is the dramatic entrance of Kelsier! That would be a dream come true, The Survivor in Roshar. :rolleyes:

If this happens, (and I don't think it will) he'd never be called "Kelsier" and his backstory outside Roshar would never be mentioned, exactly like Vasher. This excludes a "dramatic entrance." 

People aren't supposed to need to read Mistborn to enjoy SA 

13 minutes ago, Calderis said:

If this happens, (and I don't think it will) he'd never be called "Kelsier" and his backstory outside Roshar would never be mentioned, exactly like Vasher. This excludes a "dramatic entrance." 

People aren't supposed to need to read Mistborn to enjoy SA 

It was a joke....

Even if it's discreet it'll still cause a stir among us sharders, it'll still be dramatic for us.

16 minutes ago, StormblessDave said:

It was a joke....

Even if it's discreet it'll still cause a stir among us sharders, it'll still be dramatic for us.

Sorry. It's one of those topics I get touchy about. 

So many people want more crossover, even though it works against what Brandon has said that he wants to do with the stories. 

The Cosmere is supposed to be subtle. It's only supposed to be noticeable if you're paying attention. 

With Stormlight, between Wit and Nightblood (not to mention all the other less blatant cameos), it's already kind of blatant.

I understand that crossovers are fun for us here on the Shard, but what about the average readers? The more this stuff pops up, the greater the chances of confusion for them. Inevitably, that would mean more people here, which I would be fine with. I think that a larger portion of those confused readers would just put the story down though, and that's the last thing I want to see. 

• Chaos locked this topic