Grimm Tales concept

Draginon

Pretty much I have an idea for modernizing some of the fairy tales out there. Here's some of the stories I have:

Cinderella: In my version Cinderella is a gay man living in Southern California during the late 90's. His stepmother would hate him for a reason that has nothing to do with him being gay at all but for another reason while his stepsisters would actually like him and accept him as their brother. The fairy godmother would be surprised that the latest Cinderella situation is happening to a guy.

Beauty and the Beast: pretty much the genders are flipped and would take place during the golden age of Hollywood with the Beast herself being a former starlet who would've been the next Monroe if her holier than thou personality hadn't angered the wrong person. Beauty himself would be working for her as a butler who needs the money badly and doesn't put up with her temper. Pretty much I want to see how different the story is if the roles are reversed.

The Little Mermaid: I'm thinking this should be turned into a Greek tragedy story since there's enough there to make the sea witch into a goddess, the prince being from one of the Greek isles and the mermaid being a siren.

There could be others that would be more on the short story end like Goldilocks (having her be the villain be way more obvious by having it in the modern era and being arrested for breaking and entering and vandalism of a poor family known as the Bears).

The Little Mermaid isn't a Grimm fairytale as far as I know (it's Hans Christian Andersen), but I get the point and think it sounds like an interesting read! I love twists on fairytales, and I think modern time needs fairy tales as much as old times heh. Would there be magic involved still or would the magic also be "modernized"?

10 hours ago, Penumbra said:

The Little Mermaid isn't a Grimm fairytale as far as I know (it's Hans Christian Andersen), but I get the point and think it sounds like an interesting read! I love twists on fairytales, and I think modern time needs fairy tales as much as old times heh. Would there be magic involved still or would the magic also be "modernized"?

I'm not restricting myself to just the stories done by the Brothers Grimm and just going with fairy tales as a whole (after all American McGee's Grimm did stories like Mulan, Pinocchio and A Christmas Carol). It's just going to be a catchall name for the series, which I'm not sure how many stories would be used. I like twists as well, but it saddens me how most think modernizing means making it like LOTR or a nitty gritty edition.

As for the magic, it would depend on the story itself but for the ones listed Cinderella would be the same magic from the fairy tale (I would have the stepmother wonder if he stole the suit and vehicle since magic wouldn't be a well known thing), Beauty and the Beast would be a curse from some magic user of the time period so it would be modernized and Mermaid, since it would be Greek mythology based, would use the magic the Greek gods used.