Kaladin: the original book soundtrack from The Black Piper

Argent

On August 23, 2017 at 1:08 PM, Drej said:

I guess I don't understand what this is.  Do you read along with it?  Or is somebody else reading along with it?  Or is it just for listening pleasure?

Pretty sure it's just a soundtrack inspired by the album. 

5 hours ago, Botanica said:

Here is the Kickstarter page.

Really hope it can be successfully funded!

I was in when I read about it, but once I clicked on the kickstarter link - God of Colours! It looks wonderful. I sincerely hope this reaches its goals, I want to see it happen so much! I hope we can get a lot of Sharders pledging. I LOVE the art. And I want those bookmarks, they're so cool :)

Thanks for the update, I just put in my pledge.  I really want to listen to this, so I hope they reach the goal!

Now I have to decide how badly I want that art book ...

Edited by anna

7 minutes ago, Kalleth said:

storming beautiful, but I don't understand if it's already been completely composed, what is the Kickstarter money being used for? Post-production? Licensing? ???

Here is a breakdown of the costs:

• CAMPAIGN FEES: Kickstarter's fees combined with transaction processing fees adds up to around 8.5%. So, just reaching our minimum goal, that's around $9,350K that we won't even see. If we raise $1M, that becomes $85K! 
  • REWARDS, FULFILLMENT, DISTRIBUTION: Once the campaign ends, we have to mix the music, design, commission, and print all the artwork and rewards, and organize shipment for the rewards to be sent out. Excluding the creative work, we still need to hire someone to help fulfill the orders (so we can spend our time making this album the best). This is why we appreciate you paying the extra shipping cost. Still, with everything, order fulfillment comes to roughly 35%. At $98K raised that's about $38.5K. If we raise $500K - $1M, we'll get increasingly discounted bulk rates, but even at $1M, it's still over $200K.
  • TAXES: We're doing all we can to keep taxes as humanly low as possible, but we're also going to be keeping things legal. We do have to plan for the worst, and the tax giant is still around 15-18%. At $110K that's $18K in taxes. At $1M it's $165K!! This is part of why we're pushing to record, mix, and distribute the album before the end of the year. By doing this, we can reduce our tax burden by writing off the costs of production.
  • STARTUP COSTS: Any creative project of this scope has a lot of prep costs. We've had to pay for licensing, hire an orchestra, pay for flights, and so much more. Another start up cost is the music and artwork itself. All of our composers and many of our concept artists deferred some of their payments to reduce the up front costs. All said, startup costs are around 35%, which comes to about $38.5K if we hit our $110K mark. At $275K, the startup costs increase to $97K, but the nice thing is that they stay there; startup costs will remain the same for every dollar over $275K. This is why reaching $300K will allow us to record the twice the music we've already recorded! And reaching $500K will allow us to hire some amazing performing artists for some Bonus Tracks we are DYING to make!

Alright well I've storming pledged what I can. I might beef it up a bit later if it's looking increasingly as though both halves of the album will get made, just so I can get that sweet sweet hard copy, and if it needs just a little extra.

Time to go tell everybody to back it. YAY!

This is really exciting! I will definitely be sharing the campaign with as many friends as I can.

EDIT: Are any of the producers here on 17S? I tagged @CaptainRyan initially because I thought he was posting as a creator, rather than copy/pasting to share the kickstarter cost info. I guess I'll post my questions on the kickstarter comments instead :-)

I am especially excited for the art book! I know your focus is on the music, but I bet a lot of people would be interested in the art by itself. I'm sure you've thought of this, but if you have Botanica and your other artists publicize the art book specifically, they have a lot of fans who would jump at the product. Maybe enough to make an art-only tier?

Out of curiosity, will the art book also contain the art from the CD insert, or are those separate pieces?

And I am seriously considering the join-the-virtual-choir Wandersail reward level, but the next few months are going to be busy for me, and I'm not sure about my time commitments. When would you need our recording, and how long would we have to prepare? Can you tell us anything more about the piece, even just complexity/length?

Edited by ccstat

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/26/2017 at 7:30 AM, ccstat said:

This is really exciting! I will definitely be sharing the campaign with as many friends as I can.

EDIT: Are any of the producers here on 17S? I tagged @CaptainRyan initially because I thought he was posting as a creator, rather than copy/pasting to share the kickstarter cost info. I guess I'll post my questions on the kickstarter comments instead :-)

I am especially excited for the art book! I know your focus is on the music, but I bet a lot of people would be interested in the art by itself. I'm sure you've thought of this, but if you have Botanica and your other artists publicize the art book specifically, they have a lot of fans who would jump at the product. Maybe enough to make an art-only tier?

Out of curiosity, will the art book also contain the art from the CD insert, or are those separate pieces?

And I am seriously considering the join-the-virtual-choir Wandersail reward level, but the next few months are going to be busy for me, and I'm not sure about my time commitments. When would you need our recording, and how long would we have to prepare? Can you tell us anything more about the piece, even just complexity/length?

Hey ccstat,

Sorry, I didn't see this thread until today!

We've definitely asked our illustrators/artists to go and tell everyone they know about the art book specifically! We did end up making a couple of art-heavy tiers, btw. We included a digital download of the album in the tiers, because the main focus of the campaign is the music. Though, if anyone does just want the art book, they could back at the $5 tier and add on anything they want.

The art book will have a lot of what would end up in the Kickstarter edition CD (if that gets funded), but it will also have much more, including a number of new commissions.

I'd personally love to have you in the Wandersail choir - that's one that I'm most looking forward to! Time commitment isn't huge. And the turnaround will be something like 3-4 weeks. I'm looking to give a few different options, depending on how big the choir is. The main one I'll be sending won't be terribly complex, but it'll be fun!

All great questions - and don't hesitate to ask any more!

Michael

• Chaos locked this topic