Misc Questions

Topaz

Question

I've had a few shorter questions bouncing around my head for a while now. 

Is there any upper limit to the amount of Investure that could be stored in an object?

What causes the separate appearances of the Cognitive realm / what would happen if you took a sphere from Roshar's and brought it to Scadrial?

Is there any overlap between the two sections of the cognitive realm i.e. what would happen if two worlds had different interpretations of one object?

if you created a perfect duplicate of a statue, killed yourself before telling anyone and before the object had a chance to form its 'Identity' then destroyed the original, would someone in the cognitive realm be able to tell that it was a copy?

Is there any standard relating to the amount of Investure used and the physical force used i.e. a ratio between the amount of steel burned and how much force you could exert on a coin and would that be the same with how much force an awakened cloak could exert relatively to its breath input. 

Edited by Topaz

4 answers to this question

29 minutes ago, Topaz said:

Is there any standard relating to the amount of Investure used and the physical force used i.e. a ratio between the amount of steel burned and how much force you could exert on a coin and would that be the same with how much force an awakened cloak could exert relatively to its breath input. 

I can't answer the other questions, and I don't actually know the answer to this one, but I think of investiture kind of like calories. Like, how much one person is able to do after consuming a certain number of calories depends largely upon their fitness. So with investiture there could be some standard unit, but it wouldn't be detectable in the way you're talking about. We know that the ability to wield investiture varies from person to person based not only on how much investiture they can draw, but also how experienced they are (think of how effectively Vasher could use breath compared to a beginner like Vivenna). I think there are other considerations that complicate matters too (compounding, heightenings, bonding spren, etc.)

Nice questions all. I don't know answers to any perfectly, but for

What causes the separate appearances of the Cognitive realm / what would happen if you took a sphere from Roshar's and brought it to Scadrial?

Different appearences of the CR, I thought was largely something that is a property of the planet. Just like how every shard that invests in Scadrial forms a god metal, or how spren are naturally and shard wise present mostly in Roshar, I thought it was something related to the planet and nothing more.
Can a sphere from roshar's CR be taken to Scadrial's CR? I don't know, I am straying very largely into theorizing mode and I am not even sure if I am thinking along the right lines, but it depends on the perspective of someone who is carrying it I guess? No idea.

Is there any overlap between the two sections of the cognitive realm i.e. what would happen if two worlds had different interpretations of one object?

CR's of different planets? I don't think there is any overlap. There is a huge inter-planetary space that separates the planets in physical realm and it has a manifestation in CR (though I guess in much smaller size I would assume, because there is no one to think about the space) and I guess that means no over lap between CRs of different planets.
What if two worlds had different interpretations of one object? I guess the object goes with which world thinks of the object more strongly.

if you created a perfect duplicate of a statue, killed yourself before telling anyone and before the object had a chance to form its 'Identity' then destroyed the original, would someone in the cognitive realm be able to tell that it was a copy?

Well, the original statue has an identity. Many people have thought of it before. The duplicate is a blank state so to speak. Cognitively speaking, there is a huge difference between both of those, so yeah I assume it is possible to differentiate between those two in the CR

Is there any upper limit to the amount of Investure that could be stored in an object?

This is a question I would like answered. I am assuming there is an upper limit, I have no hard evidence. But logically speaking, if there was no upper limit, than a dedicated compunder like lord ruler or ruin made inquistors, could probably compound enough investiture to store in an object (like BOM), and in time may rival a shard in the amount of investiture it holds.
The point is moot in the end because, once the investiture is used it goes back to the shard, but as long as it isn't being used, I wonder how much you can weaken the shard with that kind of metal mind.

1 hour ago, Topaz said:

Yes. We don't know exactly what it is, but we have multiple WoB's in which Brandon refers to, or fails to correct someone referring to metalminds as "full." There's also the part where he says that Shardblades and Nightblood could both theoretically be used as hemalurgic spikes, but they'd have trouble taking a charge as they're already "full." spoilered for length. 

Spoiler

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=979#51

HEROWANNABE ()

Can an infused Hemalurgy spike be affected by Allomancy—steel pushes and iron pulls? Or does the charge interfere with the Allomancy much like a persons body would?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Anything infused (regardless of the world or magic that infused it) is resistant to magic. So you'd have a lot of trouble pushing or pulling on a spike, unless you had access to a boost of some sort to overcome the resistance.

THEOFFICETROLL

So, Nightblade would be resistant to steelpushing? Good to know ;-)

HEROWANNABE

My friend and I asked him something like this at a book signing, but for some reason it never seemed to make it onto 17th Shard. We asked if a shardblade or Nightblood could be used as a hemalurgic spike (i.e.: two different investitures of magic). Brandon said that yes, in theory you could do that, but objects have a limit to how much investiture they can hold, and that it could be argued that things like Nightblood and Shardblades are already "full."

There's some debate over whether this is an actual hard limit, or a pressure buildup like compressing a gas, but in the end, I don't think it's matters which is true. 

1 hour ago, Topaz said:

Good question, and I'm not sure it can actually be answered. In order to bring the Cognitive aspect, I think you'd need to move the physical object as well. Moving only the Cognitive aspect would most likely run into some form of resistance similar to a Cognitive Shadow attempting to leave its world, as the Cognitive aspect should be tied to the physical. 

1 hour ago, Topaz said:

Is there any overlap between the two sections of the cognitive realm i.e. what would happen if two worlds had different interpretations of one object

There shouldn't be. The Cognitive Realm allows worldhopping specifically because the area between worlds is compressed due to lack of Cognitive activity. The edge of one world's CR should have a slight buffer of "empty" space between it and the next world. 

1 hour ago, Topaz said:

This is a very good hypothetical. I think that the Cognitive aspect, since it is based mostly off of perception when it comes to physical objects would make it seem... Off to people. The longer it remained undetected though, the perception of the item in place as the original, would make the Cognitive aspect become the original over time. 

1 hour ago, Topaz said:

I don't know what it is, but yes. We don't have a unit of measurement for investiture, and Brandon hasn't canonized one, but as it's the same universe, based on the same rules yes there should be. 

The Cosmere relies on a system of altered physics, where Energy and Matter behave the same way as here, but there is a third state in Investiture. Brandon has a law similar to the law of thermodynamics relating to Investiture that he won't share with us. 

We do know this though. Allomantic strength is tied directly to burn rate. A stronger allomancer doesn't get any more out of ingested metals, they just burn them faster. (and now I can't find the WoB I wanted to support that. Bah)